Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2022, 15:53   #1
BHPian

Ritz Diesel's turbo-charger cuts off at 2500 rpm

Hi All,

I own a Ritz VDi which has done close to 90k kms. In the recent service ASC performed EGR cleaning (It was suggested by them as car was close to 90k kms.)

After this service, turbo cuts OFF with a blink of malfunction light as soon RPM hits 2500RPM while driving irrespective of any gear. After the cut-off , turbo will not function until I turn off and on the ignition and restart car.

So I took the car back to same ASC and they kept the vehicle for 3 days to fix. After getting the car back , took a test drive in city limit and issue seemed to be resolved. I was told ECU is reprogrammed and if the issue reoccurs ECU has to be replaced.

After this I took the car on highway, and the issue reoccurs ! Issue doesn't happen in 1st and 2nd gear but happens in 3rd / 4th / 5th gear.

Now is it really ECU issue and should I opt for ECU replacement ? I assume it is not turbo problem as it is working fine in 1st and 2nd gear.

On a friend's recommendation, I tried disconnecting EGR but that didn't help with the problem. Only check engine light came up until I connected it back.
Shreeniwas is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 16:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Ritz Diesel's turbo-charger cuts off at 2500 rpm

It sounds like it is not developing boost when in low revs. Maybe there is a plumbing leak somewhere.
How is exhaust emission? Is it emitting black smoke when trying to rev the engine?

It can also be because the engine is running in limp mode. Best to connect to an OBD or ask the service center to check the fault codes and take it from there. I don't think the ECU can get an issue just like that.

Last edited by tharian : 28th October 2022 at 16:37. Reason: spelling
tharian is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 16:33   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

First step is to check the fault codes/error codes. Ask the MASS to scan and analyze the error codes.

Check the plumbing from turbo->intercooler->intake manifold. If the hose is cut or damaged then there is loss of boost, and the ECU might get conflicting signals and go into limp mode. I do not think there is any issue with the ECU

Check this video. Might be useful

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 28th October 2022 at 16:34.
sagarpadaki is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 17:30   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
It sounds like it is not developing boost when in low revs. Maybe there is a plumbing leak somewhere.
How is exhaust emission? Is it emitting black smoke when trying to rev the engine?

It can also be because the engine is running in limp mode. Best to connect to an OBD or ask the service center to check the fault codes and take it from there. I don't think the ECU can get an issue just like that.
No abnormal smoke as such, I will check on the error code. They didn't share with me previous time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
First step is to check the fault codes/error codes. Ask the MASS to scan and analyze the error codes.

Check the plumbing from turbo->intercooler->intake manifold. If the hose is cut or damaged then there is loss of boost, and the ECU might get conflicting signals and go into limp mode. I do not think there is any issue with the ECU

Check this video. Might be useful
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=ET4U-XwbuyQ
Thank you for this video.

Just curious, if plumbing is the problem shouldn't it effect in 2nd gear as well ? I can redline in 2nd gear and there is absolutely no drop of power. Issue starts from 3rd gear and turbo cuts-off at exact 2500RPM.
Old 28th October 2022, 20:43   #5
BHPian

Hey something along similar lines had happened to my car (the engine would go into limp mode and not rev beyond 2000-2500 rpm).

The culprit? a rodent bite on the cable connected to the airbox sensor, the problem disappeared after soldering the wires inside the loom.

My ASC identified the fault, which was the MAF sensor was acting up, via the OBD scanner.

Perhaps in your case the cable moves around differently at different speeds leading to the kind of behavior you are experiencing.

As already mentioned above, you can ask for the fault codes, get a second opinion at an FNG perhaps or visit another dealership's SC.

Hope the issue is sorted out soon, all the best!

Last edited by ashivas89 : 28th October 2022 at 20:47. Reason: Minor corrections
ashivas89 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 08:44   #6
BANNED

@Shreeniwas: Do you always up-shift at 2500 RPM? Unless you are overtaking or in a spirited mode, the sweet spot for shifting Ritz Diesel is 1800-2000 RPM.

Now coming to the problem, check for any oil spillage anywhere.

The problem also occurs when the oil separator is dead: https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-11180m86j30-36615244/
mithun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 12:05   #7
BHPian

If its an ECU problem then you should get error codes all over the place.
Do not rush to a decision without finding out the root cause. If this is a wiring issue then a new ECU will not solve the problem.

Get the car OBD scanned, there will certainly be codes that the car is throwing. Go to a third party garage if you have to, OBD scanning is fairly straightforward and does not require opening up anything, so any garage that has a scanner should be able to do it for you.

The very first sign of ANY issue with a diesel - turbo, fuelling, compression - if anything is off, straightaway you should see smoke, which you say is absent. So the engine side is OK.

Last edited by ads295 : 29th October 2022 at 12:08.
ads295 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 14:17   #8
BHPian

Re: Ritz Diesel's turbo-charger cuts off at 2500 rpm

It has to be the actuator which has failed. Please get that checked.
bhphog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 15:45   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
@Shreeniwas: Do you always up-shift at 2500 RPM? Unless you are overtaking or in a spirited mode, the sweet spot for shifting Ritz Diesel is 1800-2000 RPM.

Now coming to the problem, check for any oil spillage anywhere.

The problem also occurs when the oil separator is dead: https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-11180m86j30-36615244/
Nope, i don't upshift at that RPM unless really necessary. Highway overtaking has become a pain and also in 5th gear speed is limited to 110-120.

I've not seen any sort of oil leaks so far. I'll keep this in mind to check during next visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads295 View Post
Get the car OBD scanned, there will certainly be codes that the car is throwing. Go to a third party garage if you have to, OBD scanning is fairly straightforward and does not require opening up anything, so any garage that has a scanner should be able to do it for you.
I will get the scan done from outside to know the error codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhphog View Post
It has to be the actuator which has failed. Please get that checked.
Can you please help me understand what actuator are we talking about?
Old 29th October 2022, 18:25   #10
BHPian

I faced this issue twice in my Linea. The first time it was after service and the issue was later identified due to improper connection of EGR.

The second time it happend after some years, due to previous experience, I knew it would be most probably related to EGR, and when I checked, I found that a rat had bitten the EGR wire. I could not get a spare quickly, so I joined the EGR wires again, and it has been working fine since then.
Old 29th October 2022, 22:27   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreeniwas View Post
Hi All,

I own a Ritz VDi which has done close to 90k kms. In the recent service ASC performed EGR cleaning (It was suggested by them as car was close to 90k kms.)

After this service, turbo cuts OFF with a blink of malfunction light as soon RPM hits 2500RPM while driving irrespective of any gear. After the cut-off , turbo will not function until I turn off and on the ignition and restart car.
Hello there! My '09 Swift VDi too witnessed the same problem after I performed
intake manifold + EGR + intercooler + Turbo cleaning! IIRC, there were almost 3-4 sensors that are to be dislodged whilst the cleaning operation.

A simple loose connection in the High pressure injection pump sensor - located somewhere in the intake manifold or the fuel rail assembly (I don't recall exactly it's position) was the culprit in my case.

It means that the sensor isn't sending any signal to the ECU to activate the high pressure pump, once the engine has crossed 1800-2000 RPM.

Solution:

1. Turn off the engine.
2. Disconnect the battery and pause for 15 minutes
3. Detach the wiring from the socket of the sensor
4. Examine for any carbon deposits
5. If any, use a non-live contact cleaner to dislodge the dust and allow it to air for 15 minutes
6. Reconnect the wiring to the socket, followed by the battery reconnection
7. Start the engine and allow it to idle for 5 minutes
8. While in neutral, gently raise the throttle and check whether the revs climb above 2000 RPM and no CEL occurs in the instrument cluster
9. Now, a full blown test drive would do just fine

In my case, after inspecting the OBD codes, the mechanic just turned off the car, detached and reattached that sensor connection. That's it. The car was back to normal.

All the best.

Last edited by eccentric : 29th October 2022 at 22:49. Reason: Repetitive words discarded :)
eccentric is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 18:07   #12
BHPian

My 2008 Swift diesel had this issue (in 2014 odo was around 65K Kms) had the same issue. Changed the sensor as mentioned by eccentric in the above post and turbo was back to normal

Last edited by Silver Knight : 30th October 2022 at 18:08.
Silver Knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 22:44   #13
BHPian

Quote:

The part responsible for activating the turbo once the desired rpm is met as per the ECU map.
It fails quite commonly and is pretty much invisible to most error code readers.
Old 1st November 2022, 01:16   #14
BHPian

Quote:

The part responsible for activating the turbo once the desired rpm is met as per the ECU map.
It fails quite commonly and is pretty much invisible to most error code readers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks