Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2007, 22:53   #1
BHPian

Swift : Making metal rubbing sound : Help

Hi,

From friday I have hearing some sort of metallic sound when ever my car goes over the raod hump. The Mondavi at Vijayanagar, after a test drive informed me that, it was because of PS machanisam in the driver road and lubricated the PS levers.

However, I am still hearing the same, as we had to go to Mysore on saturday I couldn't take the car back to service station.

Would request your help to address this issue. Here are some pointers to assist you

1. Sound is heard when the front wheel goes over the hump (both while climbing and also getting down or bad un even road surface), even at very low speed.

2. Sound is sort of what you can get, when a metallic rod taps a empty metallic cylinder

3. When the car is stationary and the front suspension is pushed and released, no sound is heared, so it may not be suspension.

regards,
-manju
Old 6th July 2007, 14:29   #2
BHPian

Have the dealer (or an independent mechanic) check the hub bearings - particularly the front ones
Old 6th July 2007, 15:43   #3
BHPian

Check the lower arm. Worn out lower arm bush could cause this. But is it a new car?
Old 6th July 2007, 16:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. Sound is sort of what you can get, when a metallic rod taps a empty metallic cylinder
I doubt this has anything to do with the suspension. I think what you're hearing is the engine knocking. Happens if you try accelerating from very low rpms as the engine isn't producing enuf torque to overcome the load.

PS : But do get the suspension checked (just in case).

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 6th July 2007 at 16:18.
Old 9th July 2007, 11:17   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
Have the dealer (or an independent mechanic) check the hub bearings - particularly the front ones
Today I have left the car for 10K KMs service and I have reported them the issue. Hopefully they will check the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Check the lower arm. Worn out lower arm bush could cause this. But is it a new car?
Yes, it is around 7 months old with 9857KMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
I doubt this has anything to do with the suspension. I think what you're hearing is the engine knocking. Happens if you try accelerating from very low rpms as the engine isn't producing enuf torque to overcome the load.

PS : But do get the suspension checked (just in case).

Shan2nu
Yes, I do had this doubt, however I was hearing even when the car was in first gear, especially even when it is gradient, where car can just role over.

Thanks to every one, hopefully the Mandovi at Willson Gardon will address this issue, along with fixing a running board scratch, which I had it yesterday. They have quoted Rs.3500/- for the same.

regards,
-manju
Old 13th July 2007, 06:15   #6
BHPian

Got the car back from service, at first they have not even attend the problem. Then I took the car back to them and had to point out them that this has been not addressed. After a day at service station, yesterday I got the car back. They have lubricated struds, which were causing this noise. Now at this time it looks all fine.

regards,
-manju
Old 13th July 2007, 11:17   #7
BHPian

Metallic sounds on slopes

hi all... I have a 3 month old Swift VXi and it makes these strange metallic sounds while I'm climbing down a steep incline and specially when it is raining. I had earlier heard similar sounds from my 10 year old Premier 118ne. It seems like the brakes aren't holding but the calipers are scraping against the metal. The sounds started after the recent Mumbai's heavy rains.

You're in Vijaynagar, lots of steep slopes down there, try to slow down your car when it is pouring and let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Old 13th July 2007, 19:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post

Bearings will not emit the kind of sound that has been explained - it has to be the strut spring in all probability.
Old 14th July 2007, 13:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrena View Post

You're in Vijaynagar, lots of steep slopes down there, try to slow down your car when it is pouring and let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Adrena, the problem was noticed every where, not necessarily only vijayanagar.

regards,
-manju
Old 5th December 2010, 11:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Reviving this old thread :
My 2004 Zen has the scrapping sound from the front right wheel when coming down slopes. It is not there all the time. It comes only when descending a ghat section and even then it comes for sometime and then disappears.
I see quite a few people have faced this problem. Is it the disc calliper which is scrapping against something?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks