Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2007, 13:22   #1
BHPian

Palio fuel pump

I have just got my Palio 1.6's fuel pump replaced at an authorised Fiat dealer.These people told me that fuel pump is same for both Palio 1.2 and 1.6.But,while I was enquiring about availibity of pump at different dealers,they always asked me for 1.2 or 1.6.Also,old pump from my car and new one,they have installed are a bit different in shape.I'm not satisfied with power and pick-up either.Is it possible that they have fitted a 1.2's fuel pump in my car as 1.6 was not available?Help
Old 4th July 2007, 15:41   #2
Team-BHP Support

Sans33, I confirmed that the fuel pump is same for the 1.2 as well as the 1.6. Dont worry. The issue with low power and pick-up could be something else.
Old 4th July 2007, 21:07   #3
BHPian

Thanks moralfibre. I have recently purchased this S10. It had this faulty fuel pump. I was expecting some improvement in performance after change but its just same. It feels sluggish in city traffic. Below 2000 rpm acceleration is not crisp and sharp. It also has some starting problem. It starts normally in morning,but when re-starting at traffic signals,it turns me nervous. It either start in a instant or take atleast 2-3 long rounds, as if flooded.FE is 9 without ac and 8 with mix ac usage,all with light foot and quick gear changes. I use IOC Premium only in all my cars.
Old 5th July 2007, 11:02   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sans33 View Post
It had this faulty fuel pump. I was expecting some improvement in performance after change but its just same.
Changing the fuel pump wouldn't improve performance. Atleast not that I know of any performance benefits with a new fuel pump. What was wrong with the old one and why did you replace? Any breakdowns you faced with the fuel pump conking off?

Quote:
It feels sluggish in city traffic. Below 2000 rpm acceleration is not crisp and sharp.
If you expect crisp acceleration, the car needs to be revved up and shift at more than 4000 rpm which you cannot do in city traffic. But there seems to be some prob with your car because I haven't experienced sluggishness in shifting up at 1100 rpm which I do when I am driving conservatively.

Quote:
It also has some starting problem. It starts normally in morning,but when re-starting at traffic signals,it turns me nervous. It either start in a instant or take atleast 2-3 long rounds, as if flooded.FE is 9 without ac and 8 with mix ac usage,
Weird starting problem, normally it is the other way round. Get the car checked. Boss, FE depends completely on driving style and traffic conditions.
Old 5th July 2007, 14:29   #5
BHPian

I didn't change the fuel pump for performance.It was giving trouble in Delhi summer.It used to stop after about 20 kms.I got car checked at three different dealers,all had same solution for all my problems,change the fuel pump.
Old 5th July 2007, 20:53   #6
Team-BHP Support

I agree Sans but I probably misread your posts and gathered that you anticipated better performance!
Old 5th July 2007, 22:50   #7
BHPian

Sans, what trouble was the fuel pump giving you earlier? Was the car jerking while accelerating? Was the motor weak?

As moralfibre has suggested, changing a fuel pump would not give you better performance, it must have would however taken care of the initial problem you were facing.
Old 8th July 2007, 21:03   #8

Hi...I bought a used Palio GTX a month ago. A few days ago it started to vibrate when the car used to be stationery(idle). The vibration increased quite a lot when the AC was turned on. The engine noise also changed and the car lost a lot of power during acceleration....The acceleration feel was not the same.The fuel injector light remained constantly ON.

I have taken the car to Shaman Mumbai, and have yet to receive it back. They say that two out of the four fuel injectors are spoilt. They are replacing the two injectors.

Is this a major problem? I hope the performance of the car comes back to its original specs.....

Any advice on how this may have happened. Is it fuel quality. The car has clocked 50K...Is this a usual problem for this age of car?
Old 9th July 2007, 13:28   #9

gudakesh

Do you still have the same problem?? I had the same problem... (I would say very same symptoms..)
The car would vibrate a lot and more so when AC was turned on. I went to*BU*Bhandari.*Now*this*is*what*they*done*so*far* and*looks*like*it*will*resolve*problem.
I will get my CAR today, so let's see.

1. checked spart plugs - all ok
2. ignition ciol - all ok
3. opened the injector body. One injector totaly blocked with black material. Result of impure petrol and adulteration.

They also cleaned petrol tank and replaced fual filter.

Sent the injectors for cleaning and will be fitting them. Let's see.

.wysiwyg { background-attachment: scroll; background-repeat: repeat; background-position: 0% 0%; background-color: #ffffff; background-image: none; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal } p { margin: 0px; }
Old 9th July 2007, 13:39   #10

gudakesh,
Very same symptoms here. The car would vibrate excessively and more so when AC is turned on.

This is we have done so far. (BU Bhandari Pune.)

1. checked all spark plugs-ok
2. checked ignition ciol - ok
3. Opened up all injectors and found one was completely clocked.
They say bad fuel-adulterated fuel. It was completely blocked.
They sent it to cleaning and will be fitting back today.

In the process they also cleaned the fuel tank and replaced fuel filter. LEt's see what happens. I will get delivery today.
Old 6th August 2007, 21:52   #11

Fuel Injector

Hi,
How is your car working now? In my case, they replaced two injectors and gifted me a heavy bill.

A couple of weeks ago the same problem started. It happened the moment I reached my office's parking lot. I parked the car and went to office to do my work. When I came back in the afternoon and was to take the car to Shaman, the problem was gone. I however , went there , where they ran some diagnostics but did not find any problem.

I havent driven much since then, as I am out of town mostly. The problem has not recurred, but I have lost confidence in taking the car to long drives.

Anyway, I was surprised to learn that the fuel injector can be cleaned.....Looks like the folks in Pune dont gift customers with heavy bills. An injector costs Rs 4000+.

Best Wishes
- Vikram
Palio GTX (2002)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks