Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2007, 17:40   #1
BHPian

Monsoon Problems

I live in kolkata and there was heavy water in a lane.I was 1/2 + 1/4 of a buse's tyre. I ws driving my Indica PETROL XETA. Now inspite of that heavy water, my car did not stall.Other cars like Wagon R, Zen and even Honda City had stalled. After A while thick white smoke was comming out from the bonnet.I opened it up and saw that It was actually comming from the under body. Later called Santanu (my service advisor in Lexus Motors). He told nothing serious, just the cold water had touched th hot underbody... Later heared that all Indicas had this and later, including mine, the prblem resolved. But the prblem was that in no car the water had entered the cabin, nor in any indicas.But my Indica had stagnant water all inside it with mosiquitoes. I soaked out all the water with a towel. But still the carpets were all wet. So I gave it for a service, it had reached 10,000 km mark just that day and for Rs. 750 aditional fees they soaked the grey carpet and the green cloth under it for soaking water and moisture due to ac( this is not visible). But why did water enter the cabin??? There are no hols no nothing.The service people were also surprised.
Old 4th July 2007, 22:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

it might came through the firewall which is the wall between the engine and the cabin as lots of holes are present there.
Old 4th July 2007, 22:57   #3
BHPian

Your XETA has two or more plugs- Two are in the Engine Bay under the bonnet, But Only the AC one is lower at the level and the main one is just next to the Brake booster Highly unlikely it entered the cabin from here.

Next, The Boot has a Water Plug just below the Spare wheel well, It could have been loose and water sept in from here inside.

There is a possibility that water entered from the gear shaft opening, Since My xeta had the Gear Lock Installed, I noticed that the cavity is sufficiently open to allow water reaching at that level seep inside and wet the Under Carpets.
Old 4th July 2007, 23:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

also there are holes on the undertray,they are coverd with rubber or plastic bushes.some of your bushes may have broken or fallen off.
Old 5th July 2007, 00:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Continuing with the Kolkata rain issues. It's past midnight now and raining incessantly. God knows what will happen tomorrow.
Last night the water level in the garage had reached the centre of the alloys of my Baleno. Loads of apprehension for tomorrow morning.

A precautionary query : Presuming that it gets worse than last night and that water reaches a level where it seeps into the car and exhaust pipe is under water - I obviously would not start the engine in such a case, but how long should I give it after the water subsides, before trying to crank the engine ?
Old 5th July 2007, 10:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Weather hasn't gotten any better unfortunately...
I would say give it a couple of hours at least.

Maybe you can get a small pump for your garage to get rid of the water.
Old 5th July 2007, 10:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Continuing with the Kolkata rain issues. It's past midnight now and raining incessantly. God knows what will happen tomorrow.
Last night the water level in the garage had reached the centre of the alloys of my Baleno. Loads of apprehension for tomorrow morning.

A precautionary query : Presuming that it gets worse than last night and that water reaches a level where it seeps into the car and exhaust pipe is under water - I obviously would not start the engine in such a case, but how long should I give it after the water subsides, before trying to crank the engine ?
Better consult the service guys before you start the car, there might be little bit of water left in your exhaust which could be sucked while you start the engine.
Old 5th July 2007, 21:13   #8
BHPian

Water till the exhaust pipe or inside the exhaust pipe is not a problem , the moment you start the car the water will be pumped out , if the exh is soaked for a long time then it will rust . If the water level is high enough .....ie to the height of the AIR INTAKE then do not start. Bcoz if the water level is up to the intake height then there are chances of huge damage to the engine .........which is called as Water Hammer, where the CON RODS BEND!
Old 5th July 2007, 23:27   #9
BHPian

I Don't think Rust will be much of a problem since the Petrol XETA comes with Stainless Steel Silencer, and It may not rust as bad as compared with the Diesal one.

However As a precaution, I suggest with the water logged situation, When Kolkata does return back to normal, go get a complete check-up of Electricals and also see if they can remove the entire floor carpets and dry them off, This way u can also inspect the Under Carriage for any rust, Holes or Loose openings, which can be resolved by having a paste of Mseal or Silicon Sealent pasted under the carpets specially near a opening.
Old 6th July 2007, 21:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Our Car(s), Dad confirmed, were kept Jacked up on brick pilles and fixed props. However, Water so far has not reached the lower Bumper lip. In anycase if you have water till the half-headlight level DONT start the car, as you might have water in your inlet track, even manually clearing the overflow box does not take care of water that might have gotten past the throttle body. So dont start the car unless you are sure.
Old 6th July 2007, 21:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Had ultimately decided not to take the risk of keeping the car in the garage. Tonight's the second night she's staying over at my office parking area. No water there. Will go get her tomorrow.
Old 7th July 2007, 00:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Had ultimately decided not to take the risk of keeping the car in the garage. Tonight's the second night she's staying over at my office parking area. No water there. Will go get her tomorrow.
But how did you get to office, isn't any part of your commute under water (oh yes it isn't, you dont take Ultadanga)
Old 7th July 2007, 02:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

The true menace now is the road surface (or lack therof). After a week of rains, chunks (I'm not joking) of road have disappeared. The EM bypass resembles the moon's surface with huge craters and ploughed-up areas. It's not funny how bad it is.
Accidents have already started with cars stopping suddenly on encountering a huge pothole which wasn't there the previous day(!), and the inevitable pile-ups then follow. Bikers and scooterists are having a nightmare negotiating these roads, and the crumbling, gravely surface is causing 4(+) wheelers to skid around too.
Btw, these roads were very recently "resurfaced" in anticipation of the monsoon. Some job they did.
Very sad, and very frustrating how the same mistakes are made every year. Sometimes I wonder why the hell I even bother to pay taxes.
Old 7th July 2007, 02:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
The true menace now is the road surface (or lack therof). After a week of rains, chunks (I'm not joking) of road have disappeared. The EM bypass resembles the moon's surface with huge craters and ploughed-up areas. It's not funny how bad it is.
Accidents have already started with cars stopping suddenly on encountering a huge pothole which wasn't there the previous day(!), and the inevitable pile-ups then follow. Bikers and scooterists are having a nightmare negotiating these roads, and the crumbling, gravely surface is causing 4(+) wheelers to skid around too.
Btw, these roads were very recently "resurfaced" in anticipation of the monsoon. Some job they did.
Very sad, and very frustrating how the same mistakes are made every year. Sometimes I wonder why the hell I even bother to pay taxes.
Weren't they doing Ashphalting of the EM Byepass when I was about to leave! Gosh I was thinking, people were going to have a better time this year.

Most Viewed