Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2022, 12:22   #1
BHPian

Tyres brushed against edge of the road | Now have vibration while braking

Couple of days back the inside part of my left tyres had a brush with the side part of the road. I was driving on a single lane road where at the edge of the roads were met with a rock and dirt pathway that were about half a feet below the road. When I was driving around 40 kmph, a truck came in the opposite direction and I had to steer left to make some space. Now since I was driving a little fast, I was trying to avoid getting down half my car on the rocky patch and tried to stay as much on road as possible. But I had to steer left a bit to avoid the truck and in the confusion to move left or not, I just moved enough that the inner wall of my tyres scraped the side of the road.

Now, since then, if I drove the car at a bit of high speed on the highway (at 100+ kmph) and if I brake steadily, there is some sort of vibration till the moment I am braking. I don't feel this vibration otherwise while driving or even when braking in low speeds. Also, I don't drive 100+ kmph much so I cannot recall if this used to happen every time or not. Is this a normal behaviour? Or should I check something?

Thanks in advance
sen2693 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 14:31   #2
BHPian

re: Tyres brushed against edge of the road | Now have vibration while braking

This sounds like a warped brake disc. It's a very common issue with VW/Skoda. Over time the shuddering or vibrations will get worse and start happening while braking from 80+, 70+, etc.

One solution is to get the brake disc skimmed, but keep in mind that you can do this once or at max twice, because you'd essentially be scraping off the brake disc surface.

A more long term solution would be to invest in good brake discs and pads (not VW/Skoda stock).

I don't think it's related to your sidewall issue, but do get it checked at a good tyre dealer. I see you're from Bangalore, so try Madhu's (very popular among BHPians) for checking your wheel alignment and balance.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th December 2022 at 17:32. Reason: As requested
GrandTourer is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 04:16   #3
BHPian

Re: Tyres brushed against edge of the road | Now have vibration while braking

This definitely sounds like a warped disc issue. I have seen this in some cars which had a pothole impact or curb impact. I would personally recommend replacing the disc and pad rather than repairing it.
sajusherief is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 08:43   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
This sounds like a warped brake disc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajusherief View Post
I would personally recommend replacing the disc and pad rather than repairing it.
Very true. Please avoid driving as much as you can, and especially at speeds. If possible, hoist the vehicle and carefully inspect all the suspension components including the tyres, rims, brake disc and related components, and the tie-rod, ball joints, lower arm linkages (if any) and the rubber boots.

I will be easier and cheaper to nip the problem in the bud than wait for further degradation. VAG vehicles need such TLC .
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 11:13   #5
BHPian

Quote:
This sounds like a warped brake disc. It's a very common issue with VW/Skoda. Over time the shuddering or vibrations will get worse and start happening while braking from 80+, 70+, etc.

One solution is to get the brake disc skimmed, but keep in mind that you can do this once or at max twice, because you'd essentially be scraping off the brake disc surface.

A more long term solution would be to invest in good brake discs and pads (not VW/Skoda stock).

I don't think it's related to your sidewall issue, but do get it checked at a good tyre dealer. I see you're from Bangalore, so try Madhu's (very popular among BHPians) for checking your wheel alignment and balance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajusherief View Post
This definitely sounds like a warped disc issue. I have seen this in some cars which had a pothole impact or curb impact. I would personally recommend replacing the disc and pad rather than repairing it.
Thanks. I understand that stock disc pads might not be best, but should this not be covered in warranty? My car is not even 2 years old and has only done 17K KMs. Seems a very short period for disc brakes warping. Could it be because I put the car on handbrake and leave it like that for a week or two?
Old 22nd December 2022, 11:02   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2693 View Post
Thanks. I understand that stock disc pads might not be best, but should this not be covered in warranty? My car is not even 2 years old and has only done 17K KMs. Seems a very short period for disc brakes warping.
Mine started around 14K km as well. I got the discs skimmed once, but it came back after a few thousand kms again. So I replaced the discs at around 23K kms, unfortunately with the stock discs and pads again :(

However, I'm more conscious about my braking behaviour now... I generally slow down much in advance using engine braking itself, rather than braking later and harder.

Since VW moved from German made brakes to India made TVS brakes, this problem started creeping in, and very early at that.

Quote:
Could it be because I put the car on handbrake and leave it like that for a week or two?
I don't believe it to be the handbrake for 2 reasons. 1) AFAIK, the handbrake is not installed on the same brakes as the main one in the Polo (Some cars nowadays do that to save cost), and 2) If it was due to a semi-stuck handbrake, the shudder or vibrations would be constantly present, and not just while braking from high speeds. Your issue sounds like a classic VW brake warp.
GrandTourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 11:06   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

For the VAG owners who face brake judder, I suggest you try rotors from Rane or Bosch with a fresh set of brake pad of your choice. It should solve the juddering issue for good.
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 12:11   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Since VW moved from German made brakes to India made TVS brakes, this problem started creeping in, and very early at that.
That cannot be true. The 'German' made brakes must have originated in India itself or elsewhere.

TVS group supplies braking systems to most of the OEMs making cars in our country, also according to TVS they supply brake components \ castings for at least 25% of cars in Europe.

So lets not go there, regardless of where things are made it needs to work the way the OEM intended it to be.
Old 23rd December 2022, 11:42   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
That cannot be true. The 'German' made brakes must have originated in India itself or elsewhere.

TVS group supplies braking systems to most of the OEMs making cars in our country, also according to TVS they supply brake components \ castings for at least 25% of cars in Europe.

So lets not go there, regardless of where things are made it needs to work the way the OEM intended it to be.
It might be the case that they provide brakes for quarter of European cars, but that doesn't mean they are the same quality as the ones fitted in Indian Polos/other Indian cars. It is a well established fact here on TBHP as well, that since the localisation of parts, the brakes haven't been lasting as long as they used to for VWs prior to 2014 I believe.

I don't know why it offended you so much. I was just stating facts as a long time VW owner. I was in no way saying we Indians cannot manufacture quality products. It's just the case with TVS brakes that we VW owners have experienced over the years. And if I am made to spend my hard earned money on inferior product, I will be critical of it, that being my right.

So yes, let's go there.
Old 19th January 2023, 13:20   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2693 View Post
Thanks. I understand that stock disc pads might not be best, but should this not be covered in warranty? My car is not even 2 years old and has only done 17K KMs. Seems a very short period for disc brakes warping. Could it be because I put the car on handbrake and leave it like that for a week or two?
I'm facing the same issue on my Rapid 2021 (15 months old).

Did you check about the warranty and costs otherwise?
Old 19th January 2023, 15:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumit1121 View Post
I'm facing the same issue on my Rapid 2021 (15 months old).

Did you check about the warranty and costs otherwise?
I actually have not been able to replicate the issue on road since that day so I have not deep dived into it much. My service is coming up in couple of months and I will request to inspect it then.

I was also advised that ABS kicking in might also cause these vibrations. So maybe look into that as well
Old 19th January 2023, 17:10   #12
BHPian

I have got 2021 Rapid and the brake judder started @ 8k KMS in the first year itself.This was all highway drive.
Then around 15k brakes were serviced by Skoda ASC but nothing was replaced.
Things were good for sometime and then the judder was back at around 16k.
Finally @23k I got the disc and pads changed. Pads were stock TVS but discs were made in Germany by ATE for VW ( The ones suggested by gannu_1 here). This setup went good for another 5k and then I again started facing juddering even at 80 kmph.
I have now changed my pads to meyle again thinking it is the pads that are bad.
But in all this I just wonder that my other car, a swift diesel has never ever shown any juddering till date ( 8 years 80k kms).
Maybe the high speed driving is the culprit but then there are plethora of cars these days that can go faster than my Rapid and do not suffer from this issue.
Maybe the caliper is the issue or the pins ? Maybe I am just thinking too much owing to wfh and these things are consumables ?
Nobody Knows
ankitsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 19:00   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
Maybe the high speed driving is the culprit but then there are plethora of cars these days that can go faster than my Rapid and do not suffer from this issue.
Maybe the caliper is the issue or the pins ? Maybe I am just thinking too much owing to wfh and these things are consumables ?
Nobody Knows
If by high speed you mean driving in 80-100kmph and if that is cause for brake pad issues then that is not the quality you expect from brands like VW/Skoda. The TSI engine comes to life at 70+ only.

And no you are not thinking too much. Such issues should not be faced in such short period of time. Consumables or not.

In my case, I might have because the issue did not really reappear in similar speeds. Need to monitor for some more time before coming to a conclusion.
sen2693 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks