Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2009, 14:15   #16
BHPian

I woke up but my car didn't

Posting my problem here in this thread. The background -

Its a 2000 model (carb) M800 with 1.1L km's on the odo. The engine's a tad coarse but decent FE and not so high oil consumption (burns about a half liter in 1500 Km's). I haven't been able to get a compression test done. The FE stands at 15(city) and 18(highway). She was running just fine until today morning.

The problem -

I started her up today morning and the idling seemed a little higher. Anyways - slotted her into gear and the pickup was absent - stopped and let her idle for a couple of minutes (with the choke) and tried to wake up the engine. There's noticeable shudder the moment the RPM rises above idle.

My first thought was - maybe a rat bit thru a wire in the ignition system. Didn't find any damage - no cut vacuum hoses either. I'd filled her up yesterday at Shell so I didn't think that the fuel was bad.

Dragged her to work (was really late) and the engine sounded normal once it got moving to higher RPM's. But the shudder and low pickup are still there.

Any suggestions on what to look for ?
Old 12th June 2009, 14:54   #17
BHPian

Hi,

Seems like one of your sparkplug is misfiring. get your distributer also checked and replace point-condenser if required. I recently changed them along with Engine oil to Gulf Multigrade 20W50 in my 99 Carb 800. Big change in cold start performance and acceleration and Engine noise also reduced.
Old 12th June 2009, 16:19   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prass View Post
Hi,

Seems like one of your sparkplug is misfiring. get your distributer also checked and replace point-condenser if required.
Will be checking the engine timing later today - but I don't think that's the issue here.

Correct me if I'm wrong - Timing related problems cause a gradual loss of power (over several kms) and don't not the drastic overnight drop that I'm seeing.
Old 12th June 2009, 18:46   #19
BHPian

The smoke ( same as thrown by diesel buses / trucks ) along with oil deposit in spark plugs is enough indication for a engine overhaul. compare the price of engine overhaul with a new engine block from maruti , it costs about 10K for an idea . Its always better to get a new engine block than to rebore . but depends upon person to person
Old 12th June 2009, 19:52   #20
BHPian

My Maruti does a Nano!

Got back home and got my tools out. The timing was fine - up next were the spark plugs.

Opened them up and found that the ceramic (center electrode) insulator on the #2 spark plug had broken off. So I replaced all three plugs and fired her up. All's good again.

OT - the #1 and #3 plugs were bone dry and clean - but the #2 electrode had lots of oil deposits on it. Looks like the rings in the #2 cylinder are leaking alright.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks