Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2023, 17:42   #1
BHPian

Maruti Alto | Increase in Hydrocarbon emissions | Why?

Hi,
I drive Alto lxi which is now 15 years old. The vehicle is in good condition and serviced regularly from authorized service center.

For all 15 years in PUC check the hydrocarbon emission was hardly 5 - 15, generally less than 50 up till now.
In recent PUC check it came to 265. It's still well within 750 limit, but I wonder what might have changed that caused it to go from 15 to 265?

One small thing I noticed is that at the time of taking reverse to align the number plate with the camera, bit of water droplets came off exhaust which I think is quite normal.

Is there any technical explanation? Could it be quality of petrol? I did it immediately after filling the tank at a petrol station.

Mods - I searched but could not find similar thread, if I missed it kindly merge it with exiting thread. Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 23:11   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti Alto | Increase in Hydrocarbon emissions | Why?

Excessive hydrocarbon emission means the presence of unburnt fuel. Was the engine warmed up before the pollution test? Has there been a drop in mileage off late or performance? If the engine was warmed up well before the test then you can get the O2 sensor performance checked through diagnostics in the service center. If that's functioning well it should not allow excess fuel to be injected (rich operation) and if that's okay you can consider repeating the test elsewhere just to ensure there was no wrong reading.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 23:41   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

If the engine was fully warmed up and the car itself is driving fine, then I suspect this to have more to do with the emission testing equipment and its calibration. Who is to ensure that the numbers you are being given are actually correct and valid? Don’t think too much into this.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 04:36   #4
BHPian

Thanks. @audioholic @Shreyans_Jain

Well the petrol pump and PUC center is even less than a mile from my place and it was a cold engine start. On top of that I was waiting in queue at PUC as there were 3 bikes before me and so I shut off the engine for another 10 minutes or so.

So may be that's the reason.

No drop in mileage. It's around 15 - 16 for quite a while.

As suggested in a months time I will repeat the test at another place and also bit far away so that engine would be warm enough.

Regards.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th July 2023 at 14:56. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
ravin93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 14:50   #5
BHPian

Re: Maruti Alto | Increase in Hydrocarbon emissions | Why?

I am returning to this thread after 6 months now. I have done the next due PUC now.

This time I drove 6 KMs to another PUC station.

Name:  PUC.png
Views: 127
Size:  319.0 KB

It's 30 and it's back to where it always has been. In past even on cold engine start it was never > 50.

So I suspect that the PUC machine at other station might have been faulty.

Vehicle is sparingly driven. Hardly 200 KM/month max.

Thanks to you all for your guidance.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th July 2023 at 14:56. Reason: Spacing for readability
Old 12th July 2023, 06:48   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravin93 View Post
Hi,
I drive Alto lxi which is now 15 years old. The vehicle is in good condition and serviced regularly from authorized service center.
Maintenance Checkpoints:
  1. Catalytic Converter
  2. EGR System

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 12th July 2023 at 07:27.
Old 1st January 2024, 16:32   #7
BHPian

Thanks @x-o-b for your inputs.

I am returning to this thread again. This time to save time I again went to the same earlier PUC center which I had visited an year ago where readings were much higher than usual.

While all other places readings have always been excellent, once again today his machine showed
0.22 (up to 0.5) and 176ppm (up to 750ppm).

All other places 0.5< and <50ppm

So I definitely conclude that this machine is not accurate or has never been recalibrated.
Best regards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks