Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2023, 14:58   #1
BHPian

BMW dealer botched up sunroof replacement under warranty | Horrible quality of work

There were some issues with the sunroof so BMW agreed to replace the entire rack. However they wanted me to send the car to their Infinity Cars Turbhe Navi Mumbai workshop since they have their so called “Experts” placed there. I was not ok with that workshop knowing their history and personal experience but I had no other option. The car was returned to me after multiple delays and in absolute filthy condition. Mechanically also they botched up the entire replacement, the sunroof is not aligned, makes terrible noise. How do I sort this mess?

As you can see they don’t have any concept of wearing clean gloves while working with interior trims and parts
BMW dealer botched up sunroof replacement under warranty | Horrible quality of work-cf1236c0a4a142c392938333b25113c3.jpeg

The results
BMW dealer botched up sunroof replacement under warranty | Horrible quality of work-7af77daaf3fc48db9e3b40e22ae7c96c.jpeg
BMW dealer botched up sunroof replacement under warranty | Horrible quality of work-beaa2867be5d4db7b58813d38666c982.jpeg
BMW dealer botched up sunroof replacement under warranty | Horrible quality of work-e016a9d654964485b1854b4a692d7b8f.jpeg
BMW dealer botched up sunroof replacement under warranty | Horrible quality of work-3cf7523fbb6c426990919bf22edd4da9.jpeg

Their experts could not even get the basic alignment done properly
BMW dealer botched up sunroof replacement under warranty | Horrible quality of work-2d313ad3218644e8ae2a561a9da214b7.jpeg

Motor does not sound right and the one touch switch too does not work properly.

Blinds not installed properly and are touching the frame towards the end of their cycle.
adi58 is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 16:04   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BMW dealer botched up sunroof replacement under warranty | Horrible quality of work

That sucks! You should give a formal complaint addressed to BMW. Only after getting a written assurance from someone senior, you should accept their offer to redo it. It absolutely needs to be redone.
androdev is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 17:06   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BMW dealer botched up sunroof replacement under warranty | Horrible quality of work

Quite shocking and disappointing. Most folks I know have had positive experiences with Infinity and prefer it to Navneet. So it is distressing that they botched this job up so badly. Hope the rectify it and compensate you for the pain value.
Hayek is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 22:30   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
That sucks! You should give a formal complaint addressed to BMW.
Yes, I've done that, but all they do is send the emails on to their dealers. They don't take any direct action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Quite shocking and disappointing. Most folks I know have had positive experiences with Infinity and prefer it to Navneet. So it is distressing that they botched this job up so badly. Hope the rectify it and compensate you for the pain value.
Infinity Lalbaug branch is still fine but Turbhe branch workmanship is like some roadside garage. Very careless people, the same workshop destroyed 40-50 cars in a fire last year.
adi58 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 09:42   #5
BHPian

Re: BMW dealer botched up sunroof replacement under warranty | Horrible quality of work

This looks like a roadside garage kind of workmanship. Even mass-market manufacturers are supposed to provide better workmanship. I can't imagine where is the premium-ness of this workmanship by BMW. The way the motor is winning makes me believe they either damaged it or did not use a genuine part to replace it. Definitely, escalate it higher-ups in BMW and don't let them go without fixing it just like its showroom condition.
amit1agrawal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 12:10   #6

Re: BMW dealer botched up sunroof replacement under warranty | Horrible quality of work

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi58 View Post
Yes, I've done that, but all they do is send the emails on to their dealers. They don't take any direct action.

Infinity Lalbaug branch is still fine but Turbhe branch workmanship is like some roadside garage. Very careless people, the same workshop destroyed 40-50 cars in a fire last year.
I had my car serviced at Infinity Turbhe for 3 years and was quite satisfied with their work both mechanical and the paint shop. In late 2022 the workshop manager moved out and I would assume a few team members have left too. Over the last year the botched up a paint job and the alignment on my driver side door. I went back to them and they tried to rectify the problem. However the rectification attempt led to a rattle from the door/A pillar which doesn’t seem to go away. I believe their standards have fallen and I really need to find an alternative garage.
Outlander is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 17:10   #7
BHPian

This is just sad and appalling, I will never send the car back to them. I know you have already sent mail but I would suggest a different course of action.

The sunroof is installed but misaligned, any reputable garage will be able to fix this with some expertise. I would suggest Redline Autohaus in Andheri or Sushila Autotechnic, both are well versed with German cars and have done much bigger jobs.

Try to get the alignment bills and detailing bills reimbursed by BMW or some sort of compensation. With such experience, I would be worried to take the car back to them. Hope this is solved soon.
turbowhistle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 17:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Do try consumerhelpline.gov.in or PGPortal. Both platforms have helped me receive resolutions from stubborn companies that would parrot the same canned response ad nauseam.

It's the only way to get a direct line to someone from BMW instead of this merry-go-round with the dealer.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 18:09   #9
BHPian

Update: The car has been sent to Infinity Lalbaug after contact with senior BMW personnel. Because the BRI expires in June and the sunroof frame alone costs approximately two lakhs, I have requested that the complete repair be redone using new components and that a two-year warranty be granted on the parts changed. Hoping BMW agrees!
adi58 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 19:35   #10
BHPian

A BMW authorized dealer doing this of job! BMW should take strict action against them. This must be very painful for you seeing your car like this, hope they fix it up good this time.
Old 2nd February 2023, 22:03   #11
BHPian

Update: BMW refused to redo the job again using new set of parts or to extend the guarantee on the parts that were replaced. They did nothing more than reopen the interior and perform "jugaad" work on the poorly-completed installation by the Infinity Cars Turbhe team. They also refuse to acknowledge any unusual noise coming from the sunroof, despite the fact that it can be heard and that a decibel meter test indicates elevated levels when compared to another car at their workshop. What may we do next?

BMW dealer botched up sunroof replacement under warranty | Horrible quality of work-775ffa7ae9e44db3b8507a02fb4021a8.jpeg
Old 3rd February 2023, 14:28   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi58 View Post
I do not know the quality of job and the persistent issues with your sunroof, but the video shows only 2-3 dB of noise difference, which in fairness is nothing. 3dB is the lowest perceptible noise difference level that can be heard by a human ear in normal conditions, whereas 1 dB is the equivalent in lab conditions. What may be bothering you is that shrill note that is missing in the other car.
Old 3rd February 2023, 16:03   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRevving View Post
the video shows only 2-3 dB of noise difference, which in fairness is nothing. 3dB is the lowest perceptible noise difference level that can be heard by a human ear in normal conditions, whereas 1 dB is the equivalent in lab conditions. What may be bothering you is that shrill note that is missing in the other car.
A new sunroof system ought to be quieter, or at least comparable to an older vehicle. There was a lot of ambient noise when that test was conducted at their workshop. The difference in decibels will be greater at night or in other settings. BMW has not even offered to do expert testing or professional diagnosis of this. They’ve switched to ignore mode.
Old 4th August 2023, 00:00   #14
BHPian

Hi everyone, I'm still facing an ongoing struggle with my BMW's sunroof issue since its replacement in January, the replaced sunroof is rattling, and the front sunroof glass remains misaligned. Despite multiple workshop visits and emails to BMW's senior officials, the problem remains unresolved. Repeated attempts have not yielded a knowledgeable fix, and it's getting frustrating. The recurring problems I am facing with my car have started to tarnish my trust in the quality of BMW’s products and services. Any advice or similar experiences would be appreciated.

BMW dealer botched up sunroof replacement under warranty | Horrible quality of work-22bc8ee2c1c64736b9f5c46d2e6282f3.jpeg

Last edited by adi58 : 4th August 2023 at 00:09.
Old 18th February 2024, 03:15   #15
BHPian

Just a quick update to wrap up this thread. Following legal action, BMW oversaw the replacement of the entire sunroof assembly, including the headliner, for the second time. Additionally, BMW generously extended a two-year warranty on the newly replaced parts.
adi58 is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed