Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2007, 12:53   #1
BHPian

Palio head lamp problem.

Hi,
I have palio 1.6 - yr 2006. I noticed a strange headlamp problem.
In the left dipper lamp the supply gets disconnected (a wild guess). The left dipper doesnot lite up. But sometimes it does get lite up.

I have shown this problem in fiat service station. They fixed it. After few days started again. Tried showing to Tata service. They fixed it. The problem reappearded again. This is a very annoying thing to have one eye blind.

The fiat service has promised to look into this. (god knows how much this would help)

My query is could it be a lose connection somewhere which is affecting or the entire assembly is faulty.

How do I get it fixed.

Help me out please.
Old 10th July 2007, 13:07   #2
Team-BHP Support

Most probably its the coupler. This is a part which connects two wires. Cheap part to replace. I suggest try to force them to change this. Loose connections are mostly related to places where two wires are connected.
Old 10th July 2007, 14:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

I had this problem too. I took it to the service station and he took exactly two minutes to fix this. I do not remember correctly as it was almost a year back. He just used the help of a screw driver and tightened one of the screws. He did not change anything for that.
Old 10th July 2007, 20:04   #4
BHPian

I just got such problem fixed for my car's left head lamp. They actually fixed it free of cost, I was told there is a clip. Had similar problem with the right one in the past, clip replacement. Mine is a Petra 1.6.
Old 11th July 2007, 09:48   #5
BHPian

Thanks Guys,

Looks like its the similar problem. I remember there is coupler like male female connector. That had problem. They tried bending the male part and locking it. I guess that should be the problem.

I will get in touch with the service station and tell them to check and change the coupler if possible. I will give another try.
Old 28th August 2017, 14:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Palio head lamp problem.

Digging up an old thread and hoping to resolve my problem

I have a 2004 nv model.

A couple of months back, the dashboard lights went kaput. The speedo / tacho / temp & fuel indicators were all fine.

When I checked, a couple of wires in the connector in the fuse panel on the dashboard has shorted (green coloured connector and the first two wires). Culprit could have been the extremely bad road enroute Yellapur from Belgaum (under construction with a bouncy section for more than 2 kms - car was rattling and vibrating throughout this stretch).

Did a D-I-Y and fixed the burnt out wires with new connectors. Every thing is fine now - BUT, the right side HIGH BEAM does not work.

Have spent full five days trying to figure out what is wrong - all other wires seem to be OK, fuses are fine, bulb is OK and everything else is fine. There is no power coming to the (black) connector on the back of the headlamp for the high beam. There is power supply at the fuse level (fuse no. 6) in dashboard.

Only solution appears to be a cut wire - how does one locate the culprit in the harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
I remember there is coupler like male female connector. That had problem
There are five couplers in the dashboard fuse panel. Each set has a dedicated function. In all there are 50 odd wires and 26 fuses, and about half a dozen relays and equal number of controllers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
I just got such problem fixed for my car's left head lamp. They actually fixed it free of cost, I was told there is a clip. Had similar problem with the right one in the past, clip replacement. Mine is a Petra 1.6.
This should be clip on the connector behind the headlamp unit, which holds the connection in place. Have ruled out this, as no power supply is seen at this point.....

Last edited by vrprabhu : 28th August 2017 at 14:08. Reason: more clarity
Old 28th August 2017, 14:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post

Did a D-I-Y and fixed the burnt out wires with new connectors. Every thing is fine now - BUT, the right side HIGH BEAM does not work.

Have spent full five days trying to figure out what is wrong - all other wires seem to be OK, fuses are fine, bulb is OK and everything else is fine. There is no power coming to the (black) connector on the back of the headlamp for the high beam. There is power supply at the fuse level (fuse no. 6) in dashboard.

Only solution appears to be a cut wire - how does one locate the culprit in the harness
I had the SAME problem on my car; even on my Cedia as well. Some electrician had run a wire from the left headlight to the right as a solution.

The easiest fix was to put in a new headlight relay harness. Since there aren't good H7/H1 harnesses in the market, I made my own.

Palio head lamp problem.-img_20150804_08462701.jpg

Palio head lamp problem.-img_20150804_12314801.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 15:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Some electrician had run a wire from the left headlight to the right as a solution.

The easiest fix was to put in a new headlight relay harness. Since there aren't good H7/H1 harnesses in the market, I made my own.
Thanks! You have given me two things to check -

a. There was 'AutoCop' system fitted earlier, which I had dismantled subsequently. So will have to trace some more wires :-(

b. Your harness shows that there could be a relay problem may exist in my car - will check that out, too (any one has an idea which are relays for headlights on the fuse panel? There is no clue in the owner manual about these)

BTW, that is great piece of work you have done - must have required lots of patience and time
vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 15:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
b. Your harness shows that there could be a relay problem may exist in my car - will check that out, too (any one has an idea which are relays for headlights on the fuse panel? There is no clue in the owner manual about these)
I dont remember which relays but I remember the wires - high beam was green and low beam was blue. There will be a pair of wires - blue and blue with black stripe /green and green with black stripe; solid and stripe for left and right headlights.

I managed to trace the broken wire back upto the power steering bottle...wire was damaged between the fuse box and power steering bottle, probably by some rat which was impossible to trace and fix. SO I made my wiring harness

Quote:
BTW, that is great piece of work you have done - must have required lots of patience and time
Thanks! Yes considering I used only one coloured wire I was the only fellow who could diagnose it hehe
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 10:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I dont remember which relays but I remember the wires - high beam was green and low beam was blue. There will be a pair of wires - blue and blue with black stripe /green and green with black stripe; solid and stripe for left and right headlights.
You inspired me....

Thanks to the colour code for the headlamp wires, was able to identify the problem on the dashboard side - the (green) striped wire is indeed for the right headlights. They originate from the green and orange coloured connectors on the fuse panel.

But there was another problem (must have probably happened while fitting the AutoCop) - some of the wires had been removed from the connectors. So, I have now patched up both left and right to the same wire (green stripe). Now all the lamps work fine. Will have to invest more time and effort, to sort out the correct pair, I guess!

I also observed this -

a. Both right and left headlamps have a green-black striped wire going through the connectors in the back of the headlamp assembly.

b. The high beams are having solid white and solid black wires for power supply.

c. Two green-black striped wire gets interconnected in the harness (under the carpet, near the door and go to the back of the car). This is a original interconnection - with a copper ring - and insulated with a different kind of insulation tape, making me guess that it could be a part of the original wiring loom and not a subsequent splicing.
vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks