Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2023, 16:02   #1
BANNED

Jeep Compass | Metallic clunk sound while pressing clutch

Hi All, recently bought a used compass 4x4 MT Diesel 2017 mfd, last month clutch and flywheel was replaced.
When I'm pressing the clutch in first gear quickly after taking foot off the accelerator I'm hearing a loud metallic clunk sound. When I'm pressing the clutch gradually without taking my foot entirely off the accelerator there is no sound.
Checked with technicians in psp jeep Bangalore, they are saying "it's normal all Jeeps have it , it's due to the torque from the 1st gear and the dmf is making the sound , i have to gradually press the clutch." They also told the engine mounts are fine. Also opened up the clutch and re torqued the flywheel and clutch on my request.
Not sure since I never had issues with other cars. First time using a jeep compass and engine with high torque.

Here's the video of the sound

Video when did a check from code6

Can I please get any opinions thanks .
nyt2090 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 18:49   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: Jeep Compass | Metallic clunk sound while pressing clutch

Ask them to check the propeller shaft couplings and the front and rear differentials once.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 19:06   #3
BANNED

re: Jeep Compass | Metallic clunk sound while pressing clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Ask them to check the propeller shaft couplings and the front and rear differentials once.
Thank you, I'll ask them to check , the problem is 3 times i went all the 3 times they are sending me away saying "it's normal with jeep compass, and i need to change my driving style".
nyt2090 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 03:11   #4
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass | Metallic clunk sound while pressing clutch

I have a feeling it's the clutch release bearing or the slave cylinder inside the gearbox. Have they replaced this when changing the clutch? Also test another manual compass just to be sure

I think this is what we call driveline shunt

On a parallel note, this exact clunking sound is present in my spresso manual in lower gears. It's irritating and feels like something is snapping in the gearbox. Learned to live with it.
Old 26th March 2023, 04:44   #5
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Did you change only the clutch plates? Your DMF could also be on its last leg.
Usually with vehicles with DMF, the DMF is also changed along with the clutch plate since both jobs can be done in one go rather than two visits and paying twice for labour for dismantling the gearbox and and accessing the clutch/flywheel.

Best to get it done at the ASC, at least you can get subsequent issues sorted.
Old 17th November 2023, 22:42   #6

Hello Fellow BHPians,

Noticed there's already a thread active for this issue. I have a Jeep Compass Petrol AT. Last year in October, as my car's warranty was coming to an end, the dealership diagnosed a few problems, which I really did not face at all, and advised me to get the parts changed in time. As the prices quoted by the dealership were exorbitant, as a rational consumer I decided that I should get this changed under warranty itself to avoid any troubles in the future. One of those parts was the MCM, as they quote, also known as the Hydraulic Shift Actuator for the even gears. Since the part has been changed, I have been hearing clunking noises from the bonett, while downshifting. The sound is somewhat major when downshifting from the 2nd gear to 1st.

As the Jeep Compass is famous for rattling noises coming from the cabin, I was able to make peace with it, but this noise is becoming unbearable now and has started to worry me a little. Sharing a video of the same as it might help explain the case better.

I did consult the authorised SC, but all they said was that it's a common noise and maybe I am a little paranoid and noticed the clunking noise a bit late in the ownership.

I need advice on what to do and what could be a fix for this.

Last edited by graaja : 18th November 2023 at 05:38. Reason: Please make the video public. Right now, it is private and not visible to others.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks