Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2023, 13:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai i20 Turbo check engine light | DTC P007100

While driving my 2 year old i20 turbo 1.0 IMT with about 12k km on the odo, CEL comes on. Car is running flawlessly and giving good mileage.

Took it to Advaith Hyundai in Indiranagar (it was 5th February Sunday) where a technician connected the OBD and the error code was P007100. (Ambient Air temperature circuit range /performance)
Hyundai i20 Turbo check engine light | DTC P007100-img_20230302_124418.jpg

He was clueless about what to do about it. He cleared the error code, and I didn't insist he do anything else, seeing his incompetence. Anyway he said if it happens again we will change the sensor.
I drove off and CEL did not come on again.

Till 28th February while I was driving Mysore to Bangalore when again the CEL lit up. Drove the rest of the 150 odd kms straight to Advaith Hyundai and same technician was there and this time the same DTC code showed up. This time he says we need time to check the sensor so leave the car here and we will get back to you. However, due to other reasons I couldn't, so he cleared the code again. And I carried on with my journey of another 160 kms in next 2 days without the light coming on or any other issues with the car.

The Ambient temperature sensor is located in front of the radiator and gives the information to ECU, which processes it further. This temperature info is also presented on the MID. Knowing this, I monitored the temperature regularly and it was quite accurate. So I'm at a loss to see how the sensor has failed. Moreover, if it has failed /loose connection, why does the CEL stay off after getting the DTC cleared?

Another thing, maybe a coincidence, both times the CEL came on shortly after filling in petrol. Not immediately but after a few kms.

Can anyone suggest my further course of action. Thanks

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd March 2023 at 16:05. Reason: Spacing
goandude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 15:56   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Hyundai i20 Turbo check engine light | DTC P007100

When you get an sensor related error like this and it appears intermittent Inwould always check the wiring and connectors first. Pull the connectors in the wiring to the sensor, clean them if necessary. Check all the wiring for chaffing and so.

A problem like this can be caused by high resistance in the circuit. Eg a corroded connector, or an exposed/chaffed wire touching to ground.

Last resort would be to replace the sensor. You might be able to measure and check the sensor before replacing too.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 15:58   #3
BHPian

re: Hyundai i20 Turbo check engine light | DTC P007100

Replace the sensor,it could be failing.
I had a map sensor fail in my car and replaced it with a new one and had the same cel coming on again and again. The new sensor was also defective.
After replacing it again the cel didn't come on again.
scorpian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 09:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 Turbo check engine light | DTC P007100

An update to his thread.

After I started this thread I got a call from service manager Advaith Indiranagar who requested me to bring the car for a check up. I declined as I was in Mysore and told him that I will be taking car to Advaith Mysore for service shortly.

Next day, the manager from Hyundai Hunsur Road, Mr Diwakar, called and asked about the problem and after some discussion we agreed to bring car to his center on 28th March for the third (and last) free service and check the sensor.

Arrived at Hunsur Road Advaith Hyundai and car was promptly taken for service. Mr Diwakar came to meet me and assured me that he will get problem sorted out. BTW, CEL had never again lit up after early February episode.

Apparently the fault was still showing on the car's computer, so they changed the ambient temperature sensor under warranty.

Thankfully till now the CEL stays off.

In conclusion, someone in Hyundai monitors this forum and takes quick action to rectify any issues. Thanks to Team-bhp.

Last edited by goandude : 18th April 2023 at 10:01.
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks