Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2023, 10:45   #16
BHPian

re: Cataclysmic Engine Failure of my 15-day old Maruti-Suzuki Grand Vitara (Strong Hybrid)

I'm sorry to hear about the problem with your new car.

Engine replacement is a viable solution, however, as you mentioned, it may take some time for you to regain your mental peace with the new engine on the highway. You may become more paranoid even if a small new noise comes from the engine, but it will settle down within a few months. You can consider the exchange offer as suggested by Turbanator, even though it may result in losing some money. The peace of mind you will get from the new car will be incomparable, but this is not a simple process, and you need to be prepared for it. Alternatively, as others have mentioned, you can opt to replace the engine and get additional warranty for peace of mind.
Old 6th March 2023, 11:06   #17
RYP
BHPian

re: Cataclysmic Engine Failure of my 15-day old Maruti-Suzuki Grand Vitara (Strong Hybrid)

I can imagine the mental agony you are going through. But sh*t happens. You might've gotten yourself a lemon here. You just cannot be hard on yourself or the MSIL folks if they are actively trying to diagnose the issue. By the looks of it, it's obvious that they needed more capable folks than service center mechanics to fix this issue. Engine going kaput is the worst of the worst thing that can go wrong in a car, these things take time. There are more trial and error things to be done, so don't expect everything to be updated on a timely basis. There are horror stories of Skoda ASS who scam the daylight out of people, by all counts here looks like MSIL is just trying to solve a problem they are not prepared for (atleast at ASS level).

Replacing the entire car? Come on that's not going to happen. Engine or block replacement is the best thing you can hope for here. Loan or Cash doesn't matter to anything that is not in our control. Risk vs Benefit calculation is the only thing in our control. Hence the 'I have loan but car is not working' aint gonna fly. Vile threats too aren't going to do anybody a favor here. Bide your time and try to get to the root of things. The more defensive we are, the lesser the ASS folks share stuff, hence it's just counterproductive for us eventually.

Quick question, which is the recommended fuel grade for this car, since Engine is a direct import from Toyota of Japan and runs on Atkinson cycle? 95 Octane and above or regular 91 Octane?

You might wanna cross-check the fuel grade you've used.

Just my two cents

Last edited by RYP : 6th March 2023 at 11:17.
RYP is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 11:40   #18
BHPian

If I remember correctly the Hyryder noise case was discussed here in tbhp as well. I think it was the same car for which you have posted the video. you should try to find out how was that issue resolved and how has it been afterwards.
You can then probabaly proceed on the same / different lines depending on that outcome.
Old 6th March 2023, 12:35   #19
BHPian

Re: Cataclysmic Engine Failure of my 15-day old Maruti-Suzuki Grand Vitara (Strong Hybrid)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYP View Post
Quick question, which is the recommended fuel grade for this car, since Engine is a direct import from Toyota of Japan and runs on Atkinson cycle? 95 Octane and above or regular 91 Octane?
I think you have got good some pointers here.

This could be due to the Toyota's 1.5L TNGA Engine which runs on Atkinson cycle.

From the sound of the tractor it could be due to the valves behaving differently, either due to bad compression / timing or may be due to more ethanol blending in the petrol.
bobbyblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 13:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cataclysmic Engine Failure of my 15-day old Maruti-Suzuki Grand Vitara (Strong Hybrid)

The noise in the video that has been shared seems to be uncannily similar to gudgeon pin failure. Reasonable to assume its not a connecting rod issue because usually if con-rods fail the engine will not even start. This engine was idling.
Sometimes injector failure also results in a similar noise, (in the old 1.6 VW/SKODA Diesels it was a common issue). But then if the latter was true MSIL would not have mentioned engine replacement; that too in writing.
Curious to know the root cause.
arjab is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 17:19   #21
Senior - BHPian

Oh God, that's quite an ordeal and that too on an MSIL. While I feel really sorry for your situation, the options are few on the table. If they give you a full engine replacement, you should take it but be on the spot when works are being carried out. There are high chances they will carry over parts and you will not even notice if you are not there during the replacement. Get it in writing, your job card should have the total cost of the engine and the replacement details. Most of the workshops do not do it. Get that done and also a full and extended warranty on the replaced engine separately. Also, the works at the RTO should be handled by their agent. I don't think they will replace the entire car, if you have such expectations, sorry to say but you will be left heartbroken. If they give you an engine replacement that's a pretty big thing.
Old 6th March 2023, 18:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

Oh boy, if we get a couple of more incidents like this and it is sufficient enough for fence-sitters to opt for EVs. Especially those who live in big metros where diesels are frowned upon.

I too advise the OP to ask the dealer to buy the car back and sell him a fresh one. This will close the chapter once and for all. The OP would have to spend some more money like new loan processing charges etc. but that is life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumedik View Post
Looks like one should never buy anything except a basic manual transmission vehicle from MSIL.
If I am not mistaken, it's a strong hybrid, means the engine is a rebranded Toyota?

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 6th March 2023 at 18:47.
Old 6th March 2023, 19:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

As strong hybrid is a very recent technology to be introduced in mass market cars, these problems may occur. The mild hybrid version too had its share of issues when it was introduced, but it seems to have been sorted out.

Engine replacement should not be problem I think, the concern is going to be that Maruti Suzuki/Toyota and their dealerships will not be very transparent about disclosing the cause of this problem.

The good part is Maruti Suzuki is offering a completely new engine without any fuss, the same might not happen few years later when this tech becomes common.
Old 6th March 2023, 20:27   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parth_enzo View Post
I could find the exact same issue in a Toyota Hyrider which got viral, this is the exactly the same noise coming out from my vehicle the link of the video is below:

SOUND OF THE ENGINE NOISE
[/b]https://Youtube.com/watch?v=cXYjFxz0mxY?feature=share
The engine is severely misfiring. Is this an Atkinson cycle engine and can the increased ethanol blend in fuel be a cause behind this? It would be interesting to know of the root cause behind this issue.
Herschey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 07:12   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyblr View Post
This could be due to the Toyota's 1.5L TNGA Engine which runs on Atkinson cycle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschey View Post
Is this an Atkinson cycle engine and can the increased ethanol blend in fuel be a cause behind this?
Engines running using the the Atkinson cycle have been around for 2 decades. I am not aware of any non Atkinson cycle engine Toyota makes and sell as a Hybrid. The method of combustion has no relation to the fault this car has. This needs a thorough investigation by the Engineers at Maruti (Probably more for Toyota). Regular 91 Octane works fine for this engine.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 7th March 2023 at 07:14.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 07:50   #26
BHPian

Most maruti service centre wouldn't be aware of handling such a complicated engine technology. They should better engage engineers from Toyota soon. Infact both Toyota and Maruti should proactively take back all these engines which are misfiring, study them and find the problem and replace defective components through a recall of all Hybrid cars sold till now.
Already both Hyryder and Maruti are getting a bad publicity for Sub Par build quality for a 22LAC car. Another bad press due to poor quality engine will mean end of story for hybrid technologies in India in the era of rapid acceptability of pure EV technologies.
Numerous states (UP, Haryana, Telengana)have announced zero road Tax, Registration for strong hybrids, this will make on road price cheaper than mild hybrids. But these episodes of faulty engine technology would reduce the buyers confidence. Toyota/ Maruti please be proactive in solving these problems.
drsachin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 08:26   #27
BHPian

Sad to see this happening with a new vehicle. Please don't settle for anything less than a full engine replacement and extended warranty. Complicated technology doesn't work very well in India given our traffic and weather conditions. For instance, there have been loads of failures with the DCT earlier. Just to check, did the car cover the 3.8K kms mainly in the city stop-go traffic?

Hoping this isn't the case here and this is a one-off case of manufacturing defect. Else, it's just bad news for most of us dreaming to drive a SUV much bigger than the Swift yet being as fuel efficient if not more.
Old 7th March 2023, 09:04   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I kindly request bhpians and senior members to advise me on this issue. My car is sitting at the service center,
Did they inspect the EGR and the spark plug system? Which fuel (ethanol blend) do you use? This issue was common in Prius and Camry, FYIP. You may fetch some clues about what exactly went wrong!
Blooming Flower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 20:51   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...I could hear some strange noise from the engine bay.
...there was some sort of noise coming from the engine
SOUND OF THE ENGINE NOISE
[/b]https://Youtube.com/watch?v=cXYjFxz0mxY?feature=share
I kindly requests bhpians and senior members to advise me on this issue.
Known issue related to misfire?
https://priuschat.com/threads/severe...nsaxle.165902/
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 21:21   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Known issue related to misfire?
Do you mean some fault in the coil? But will the dealership be so naive to ask for the replacement of the engine without checking basic things?

Quote:
So followed Patrick's line of thinking and began isolating ignition parts. Found an ignitor/coil failure on cylinder 1 -- the other 3 are fine.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks