Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2007, 14:14   #1
BHPian

Installation of magnetic devices to prevent carbon build up?

Hi fellow BHPians!

I just got my Esteem her 2nd service, and during the interaction, the MASS guy told me to get these magnetic device installed near the injectors/valves that would prevent the carbon deposits that usually build up during the burning of the fuel/air mixture. I was repeatedly told that this would also lead to avoidance of any de-carbonization required in the future.

I wanted to inquire about you people having more information about this device/process. Frankly I could use as much light as it can be shed on this!

Thanks in advance
Cheers!
Old 16th July 2007, 17:06   #2
BHPian

It is all goffing up, just a marketing funda, like fuel saver appeared few years back.

It may be true, but please tell me the relation between magnet & its properties gainst carbon built up.

I have no clue......most probable thing is a selling gimmick for a good for nothing device, please dont go for it!
Old 16th July 2007, 17:55   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
just a marketing funda
Second arunforu1 on this. Most carbon allotropes are not magnetic (since carbon bonds are covalent), so I fail to see how magnets can help. Ditto for the fuel and air.

A bit surprising to note a MASS (the A is authorized, right?!) service guy making a pitch for this sort of junk.

@lordofgondor: Also, considering the fact that decarbonization needs to be done only every several thousands of kilometers, the cost of the device will probably not be worth it.

I'd suggest you stay away from this "magnetic" salesman.
Old 16th July 2007, 18:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hogwash. I wish if this were true. Take it from them in writing that if you install this then as they claim, your vehicle will not require de-carbonisation at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Hi fellow BHPians!

I just got my Esteem her 2nd service, and during the interaction, the MASS guy told me to get these magnetic device installed near the injectors/valves that would prevent the carbon deposits that usually build up during the burning of the fuel/air mixture. I was repeatedly told that this would also lead to avoidance of any de-carbonization required in the future.

I wanted to inquire about you people having more information about this device/process. Frankly I could use as much light as it can be shed on this!

Thanks in advance
Cheers!
Old 16th July 2007, 21:18   #5
BHPian

i cant figure out how magnets on a engine "with miles on it" would help reducing carbon build up unless its a new engine to get hold of some fine metal during the running in. but that also is far fetched unless the magnets are installed in the sump.

the injector ... magnets sounds stupid but maybe I am wrong (will google).

just suggest you do the timely oil change at fixed kms / duration and fill from a good bunk
Old 17th July 2007, 00:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

This could be offtopic, but whats the Magnetism doing in Castrol GTX magnatec? (Keeping the oil stuck to the cylinder walls for longer?) Could this be related (magnetism in oil and some device at the injector - no way related).

I am trying to see some sense in the magnetism bit!!
Old 17th July 2007, 11:08   #7
BHPian

@arunforu1: Hey thanks pal, I think you're bang on target. On further inquiring from MASS people, it seems like it's the same thing as that magnetic device that came for cleaning fuel to increase mileage and all sometime back. Those guys are themselves unsure about what exactly it is.
It's sad to know that Maruti has started fooling its customers by these cheap marketing gimmicks selling useless stuff.

@arunphilip: Yes man, A = Authorized! BTW, the cost factors are in advantage of using this device (if it works!) as it's cost (Rs. 1600) is just a bit more than what those people charge for a single decarbonization (Rs. 1300). I guess those Maruti service people have started getting a commission from the manufacturers of such junk for selling the same. I think I am gonna bring this to Maruti's notice by writing some strong text in my feedback form!
Old 28th July 2007, 10:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
This could be offtopic, but whats the Magnetism doing in Castrol GTX magnatec? (Keeping the oil stuck to the cylinder walls for longer?) Could this be related (magnetism in oil and some device at the injector - no way related).

I am trying to see some sense in the magnetism bit!!
IMO adding a term like "magnatec" is just a marketing gimmick. oil is not magnetic and its use is to impress customers that it sticks to the engine cylinders etc after shut down.
The only use I have found of magntets is to slap one onto the drain plug of engine and transmission so that any metal particles (NOT carbon) get attached to it, preventing their doing damage to the engine and easy removal during oil change. Helicopter gear boxes also have the same thing. Only thing is you need "strong" magnets like those found in hard discs!!
cheers, try this link for more info on magnets FilterMAG: Magnetic Oil Filters finish the Job Your Filter Started.
Old 29th July 2007, 04:44   #9

An easy and cost effective way to get rid of carbon build-up inside the combustion chamber and on the piston is to install a water injection system. The water will turn to steam as soon as it enters the cylinder and will blast away carbon deposits over time. If you have ever seen an engine that had a blown head gasket you can tell where the failure was by looking for the squeaky clean piston. The leaking coolant steam cleans the carbon out of that cylinder.
Old 29th July 2007, 15:05   #10
BANNED

Stay away from these gimmicks !
Old 30th July 2007, 15:17   #11
BHPian

I actually got suckered into buying one of these, by a MASS (Pasco, Gurgaon). Coincidentally, it was for an Esteem - wonder if they target this car. Three years down the line, another dealer to whom I complained about low mileage suggested decarbonising the engine. When I said that was not necessary, because of the magnets, he just smiled.
Old 6th August 2007, 16:36   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomi View Post
I actually got suckered into buying one of these, by a MASS (Pasco, Gurgaon). Coincidentally, it was for an Esteem - wonder if they target this car. Three years down the line, another dealer to whom I complained about low mileage suggested decarbonising the engine. When I said that was not necessary, because of the magnets, he just smiled.
Hey Bomi, how many Km had your car done before you felt the drop in mileage? Usually the engine would required the first decarbonisation around the 20K mark. Have you gone beyond that?

Just being curious, have you noticed any pros or cons of using this magnet thingy?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks