Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2023, 16:08   #1

Problems with my brand-new Volkswagen Taigun | Recommendation = stay away!

Bought New Volkswagen Taigun GT Plus 1.5 TSI DSG with ventilated seats (Red color) on month back. Just finished 1000KM on the new car

What I liked:
  • Really seamless pickup that is expected from a German make-car
  • Elegant (not too flashy exteriors/interiors)
  • Perfect for city riding - the car can effortlessly speed-up without any noticeable lag
  • Extremely smooth and comfortable ride - went on a ~500km long outstation trip on one of the newly opened expressways.
What I hated: (and this is the main reason for posting this thread)
  • Car fails to start - Car has failed to start two times since I bought it (once in my basement parking lot and the other time on the road randomly). Had to get it towed to the service center using VW roadside assistance (the roadside assistance service is awesome. Did not face any issues in using them. The towing vehicle comes within ~1hour of requesting).
Both the times, after pressing "start/stop" button, the engine simply fails to start. The electronic dashboard does not show any issue. No warning signal, simply nothing. The speedometer starts showing speed as 0km/hr as if just pressing the accelerator will get the car going).

Attaching a video of what exactly happens.

Service center response:
- When the car reached the service center after getting towed, the issue automatically got resolved (probably, a lose connection issue). Service center was unable to replicate the issue and gave back the car after a few days of supposedly checking everything.
- Second time they contacted their "central office" and they changed something called a "Relay". They are hoping that it does not happen again and I am keeping my fingers crossed.

• TPMS issue : TPMS failed to give any warning despite driving the car unintentionally on an almost flat tyre for atleast ~1km.
  • AC Noise : There is a strange hissing sound which is audible on low/cruising speed that comes only when the AC is on. I was told by service center that it is the way it was designed and I am supposed to believe that it is "normal". An informal conversation later revealed that it is an issue with all the Taigun cars and there is no way to rectify it.
  • Driver side window: Drive side window behaves erratically and does not close as expected. It is also a known issue with all the Taiguns and service center is waiting for a software fix for this for the last ~6months at least.
I am very concerned about issue #1 as it means I have not been able to use my car as a primary car till now. It can stop anytime on the road and that does not inspire confidence at all.

I have been a proud VW Polo owner for almost 8 years and it was disappointing to see the QC done with Taigun. Maybe my model is an outlier but given the experience I would recommend everyone to stay away from VW till such issues are fixed.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd April 2023 at 10:18. Reason: Video embedded
champrock is offline   (70) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 09:00   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Problems with my brand-new Volkswagen Taigun | Recommendation = stay away!

Mod Note: Thread moved to Tech Stuff!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 09:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quite unfortunate for a new car and that too after VW/Skoda having quite some time to fix issues.
While they retain arguably the best FTD cars in their segment continuing reports of such issues don't paint a very good picture.
I wouldn't blame it on the QC which I think is non-existent but more of a grounds up approach to the India 2.0 vehicles in terms of thought, quality and validation of suppliers.
Seems like the L1 approach in the works. Seems excessive ? It isn't, just look at the non 2.0 cars.

On the issues :
- AC Noise : Did you get the "AC fix" update or was it was pre-installed from factory ? Maybe the update either causes or fixes it ?
- TPMS : I am pretty sure they aren't using any top of the line manufacturers to cut costs. They might be as good as any aftermarket units. Reproduce the issue and raise a warranty request. Could just be one sensor.
- Driver's window :
- Car doesn't start : Seems like an anomaly. Probably electrical/sensor related but just a guess. The relay fix should work, IMHO. Intermittent/erratic electrical supply can be caused by faulty relays.

Last edited by shancz : 4th April 2023 at 09:38. Reason: typos
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 09:48   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by champrock View Post
Bought New Volkswagen Taigun GT Plus 1.5 TSI DSG with ventilated seats (Red color) on month back. Just finished 1000KM on the new car
[*]Driver side window: Drive side window behaves erratically and does not close as expected. It is also a known issue with all the Taiguns and service center is waiting for a software fix for this for the last ~6months at least.[/list]I am very concerned about issue #1 as it means I have not been able to use my car as a primary car till now. It can stop anytime on the road and that does not inspire confidence at all.

I have been a proud VW Polo owner for almost 8 years and it was disappointing to see the QC done with Taigun. Maybe my model is an outlier but given the experience I would recommend everyone to stay away from VW till such issues are fixed.
There's already a software update for the power window problem, I got it done in my Kushaq in March. It works okay now.
KharbandaKartik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 10:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

AC Noise [/b]: There is a strange hissing sound which is audible on low/cruising speed that comes only when the AC is on.
I know its a new car, but this hissing sound usually comes when cooling coil is going to conk out.
silverado is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 10:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
I know its a new car, but this hissing sound usually comes when cooling coil is going to conk out.
Thanks, I experienced the same in my Tigor before the cooling coil went kaput. Any technical reasons why this symptom occures before the cooling coil going kaput ? Any way to prevent or minimise damage to the coil ?

My cooling coil went bad in just 30k kms. Service center had no clue what happened. New coil cost around 8k with fitting at TATA authorised service center.

Can rat infestation cause this issue?

Sorry for being slightly OT.
Old 4th April 2023, 10:34   #7
BHPian

I have the same hissing issue on my Virtus as well. It did not go after the AC update.
Also, there is a weird liquid sloshing noise every time I start the car, but this is only when the fuel tank is full or up to 70%. Does not make that noise when the fuel is near the half-tank mark or less. Not sure what it is and I couldn't even explain it to the ASC person. The driver window also has a mind of its own most times.
As far as the non-starting issue goes, it must be a loose connection. Hopefully, replacing the start-stop switch/ relay has done the trick, but is also concerning in terms of QC for a car of ~20L.

Last edited by mak.prasada : 4th April 2023 at 10:37.
mak.prasada is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 10:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  • TPMS issue : TPMS failed to give any warning despite driving the car unintentionally on an almost flat tyre for atleast ~1km.
IIRC, the VW/Skoda cars use an indirect TPMS system based on the ESP system and hence measures tyre pressure basis wheel circumference and frequency from a set reference. When you fill up your tyres to the right pressure you need to set the TPMS and then it starts measuring from that reference point.
fiat_tarun is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 11:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bought New Volkswagen Taigun GT Plus 1.5 TSI DSG with ventilated seats (Red color) on month back.

Car fails to start -
Dreams is an apt song to play when you're stranded like that.

Just kidding.

This could be a relay issue or similar as said by many eminent TBHPians, but before we dive in, did you try using the other key? My (now sold) XUv 500 had this quirky behavior right from 2013. The car sometimes failed to start (not pushbutton) after I unlock it and turn the ignition. Sometimes even 10-15 attempts were needed to start the car. However, it was touchwood with the other key.

Needless to say, Mahindra service were never able to troubleshoot it; I also decided to "archive" the problematic key as a workaround.
Old 4th April 2023, 12:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What I hated: (and this is the main reason for posting this thread)
  • Car fails to start - Car has failed to start two times since I bought it
Can usually be a few things - relay, starter switch, starter motor. They have done the relay. If it persists intermittently they will change the switch and finally the motor (since it will be the most expensive).

A friend's Swift had the same intermittent starting problem - pressing the start/stop switch and just a click was heard. Sometimes it would take 3-6 times, sometimes on the first press to start. It was finally the starter motor, no option but to replace, quite rare but it happened. Now he has no starting problem at all.
Old 4th April 2023, 13:58   #11
DSC
BHPian

When the company doesn't even care for moving the indicator switch to the right of the steering for Indian drivers, it shows a lot about the company mindset. Volkswagen and Skoda is strictly No for me now.
DSC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 14:57   #12
BHPian

Sadly the brand value that was built up by the Polo and Vento which had great build quality, good handling, good interiors (bare but well put together and functional) is slowly being eroded away by the Taigun and Virtus. VW's India 2.0 strategy is not faring well. The Taigun has a lot of niggles, not to mention sub par AC performance and the really bad interior quality. Not to mention the infamous DSG which is yet to show its ugly face. The dealership experience also leaves a lot to be desired.
@PetrolheadASH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 15:28   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
The car sometimes failed to start (not pushbutton) after I unlock it and turn the ignition. Sometimes even 10-15 attempts were needed to start the car. However, it was touchwood with the other key.
Could this be an issue with the immobilizer chip on the key?
I have a slightly different issue with my XUV 500 key.
One fine day the car won't unlock. The workshop tried to reconfigure the key as per M&M instruction, but it could never get configured. The key can be used to manually open the car and the immobilizer also works. So can start the car after manually opening (the alarm goes on when I open manually, but immediately on putting the key into ignition it will go off, sensing presence of matching immobilizer chip signal. I removed the immobilizer chip and tried the car wont open via remote nor would it start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC View Post
When the company doesn't even care for moving the indicator switch to the right of the steering for Indian drivers, it shows a lot about the company mindset. Volkswagen and Skoda is strictly No for me now.
In my humble opinion -
I have been driving a VW since 2010. Throughout this 13 long years, I have always owned another car which has the indicator stalk on the other side. I would often switch between the cars, sometimes I park one and get into the other and start driving (No I am not a professional driver, please do not offer me a job). The stalk proisioning never felt like a challenge.
I would regualrly drive with my left hand on the gear lever while driving in the city. When I need to indicate, I do it quite early giving other fellow road user enough time, I can easily lift my hand and slot the indicator stalk. In fact having the wiper on the right leaves me with better control to keep the front view clear always during rainy season and helps in quickly changing the wiper speed in case a sudden splash of water hits the glass.
Then of course you have your own reasons for not being comfortable with the indicator position and I will not contest that.
But it is definitely not a "company does not even care" situation here. VW uses the same setup accross the world (UK, Japan, Malyasia, South Africa etc). So it is not just India, if they don't care, they dont care about all those markets. That is hard to believe.[/quote]

The indicator positioning is a cost cutting move, as there is no law in that. These cars are originally designed for European spec, where it is left hand driving.

You will find cars having bonet opening knob on the passenger in South Africa. Does it justify the design? No in my opinion.

When they are doing business here, they must customize based on Indian people's need.
I firmly believe for right hand driving cars, indicator must be on the right side, so that I can flash quickly with turn, and not bother about changing gears at the same time.

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th April 2023 at 16:10.
sadnabrina is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 16:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
Could this be an issue with the immobilizer chip on the key?
The car was with me for 10 years (sold last month) and to be frank, the issue was never been addressed properly.
- the trouble was very intermittent and thus often impossible to re-create
- the trouble was with one key only so the culprit could most probably the chip itself.
- I never really pursued the issue. as it was not really a headache and the car was otherwise fine. The car remined very much trouble free throughout and the only reason I sold it because it was manual transmission.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 4th April 2023 at 16:28.
Old 4th April 2023, 19:17   #15
BHPian

Hi Champrock

I hope you don't have an issue again, but if you do, try making you car bounce at the rear next time it doesn't start (Like jump around on the back seat or manually push the car up and down holding the boot step area- the way you test the cars shock absorbers to see if they're in good condition)

If it works, its a loose fuel pump wire within the fuel sender unit assembly. I had this issue with one of my cars- the car would throw no faults but wouldn't start randomly. Once its running it would keep running. I fixed it myself by just tightening the fuel pump power lead within the fuel sender unit.

Regards

Jaideep
jaideepshinh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks