Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2023, 21:49   #1

Kia Carens parking surveillance using 70mai dashcam | Queries about its wiring

Kia Carens parking surveillance using 70mai dashcam | Queries about its wiring-img_0204.jpg
I own a Kia Carens since Oct 2022. This is a 1.5 Diesel MT Prestige Plus. I have installed a few accessories, including a dashcam.

Dashcam model: 70mai Pro Plus+ A500S (including rear camera).
Kia Carens parking surveillance using 70mai dashcam | Queries about its wiring-61qt8st9eel._sl1000_.jpg

Earlier, I had connected the dashcam using the USB charger that came with the dashcam, as the previous accessories shop guy did not have any experience of hard-wiring, and also he made me fear that the warranty may void if any accessories draw power from the car's fuse box.
Kia Carens parking surveillance using 70mai dashcam | Queries about its wiring-untitled_2e4897566d7b4a5ab9122ed65e1176bc_1024x1024.png

After using the dashcam for more than 5 months, I don’t like the visible USB cable and sometimes my kid pulls off the cable from the socket. So, I purchased the 70mai Hardwire Cable Kit.
Kia Carens parking surveillance using 70mai dashcam | Queries about its wiring-51utxhk4cjl._sl1000_.jpg

I enquired another auto accessories store (WMQW+V2 Bengaluru, Karnataka) and I took my Carens along with the hardwire kit purchased.

Before starting the hard-wiring work, the shop guy wanted to set an expectation to me that, the parking surveillance mode never worked on any dashcam that he had installed with a hardwire kit. However, I agreed to start the installation, as I wanted to get rid of a visible wire.

Moreover, I assisted him during the installation by referring to the manual.
https://xm.cz/data/files/70mai-hardw...n_compress.pdf
Kia Carens parking surveillance using 70mai dashcam | Queries about its wiring-70maiup03hardwarekitfig1.png

The following are suggested in the hardwire manual
  • Connect the power cable (red) to the regular electric fuse with an output voltage of 12-30V and output current of 2.4A inside the fuse box.
  • Connect the ACC signal cable (yellow) to the ACC power fuse inside the fuse box.
  • Connect the ground wire (black) to the negative terminal or ground of the fuse box.

Considering the above points from the hardwire manual, I have side suggested the shop guy to connect each wires to the Kia Carens’ driver side fuse panel.
  • Red wire was connected to Multimedia 20A fuse
  • Yellow wire was connected to ACC 10A fuse
  • Black wire was grounded

After which, the dashcam gets powered-on when the car gets ignited. However, the parking surveillance did not work, as mentioned by the shop guy. Also, the installation was done along with my assistance, I did not want the guy to rework anything.

I had the dashcam without parking surveillance working for a few days. But, I felt that I paid for some feature and I wanted that feature should work.
I was going through the 70mai hardwire kit manual and Kia Carens fuse-box description for a few times, and I was out of clues.

Then I referred NEXDIGITRON YT tutorial and I learned that the RED cable should be powered 24/7 and YELLOW should be powered only when the car ignition is on.

I had revisited the Kia Carens fuse-box manual and could not find any fuse that is mentioned as 24/7 or always on power supply.

I understand that the DOOR LOCK 20A (Name:  NQ5_ICU_01.png
Views: 1258
Size:  423 Bytes) fuse must be an always powered-on module. The ACC 10A fuse must be one of the fuses that gets power only when the car is ignited.

Based on the current understanding, I myself have re-connected RED cable and the current cable connections are as follows:
  • Red wire is connected to DOOR LOCK 20A (Name:  NQ5_ICU_01.png
Size:  423 Bytes) fuse
  • Yellow wire is connected to ACC 10A fuse
  • Black wire is grounded

This rewiring helped me in enabling the parking surveillance mode and it works as expected. I was able to simulate some events and checked the parking video was recorded.

I am not going to use the parking surveillance feature regularly but occasionally during when I park my car in a public parking slot max. 10h continuously once in a while.

The reason I wrote this post is to get fellow users suggestions, as I have made my own decisions based on the little DIY skills I have to make the parking surveillance work.

Please suggest,
  • Whether I should reconsider red the wire connection i.e. get the always on power from a fuse other than DOOR LOCK 20A (Name:  NQ5_ICU_01.png
Size:  423 Bytes) fuse.
  • Does connecting dashcam to the Kia car's fuse box affect Kia India warranty?
sasikia is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 10:10   #2

Re: Kia Carens parking surveillance using 70mai dashcam | Queries about its wiring

Attaching the fusebox images.

Kia Carens parking surveillance using 70mai dashcam | Queries about its wiring-img_0995_1.jpg

Kia Carens parking surveillance using 70mai dashcam | Queries about its wiring-img_1060_1.jpg
sasikia is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 11:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kia Carens parking surveillance using 70mai dashcam | Queries about its wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasikia View Post
Then I referred NEXDIGITRON YT tutorial and I learned that the RED cable should be powered 24/7 and YELLOW should be powered only when the car ignition is on...
This is what many miss out, but surprised that the accessory person also was not aware of this requirement for dashcams with parking surveillance mode. Good you figured it out.

Have had this done on my few of my cars and the surveillance was on full time and did not face any battery drain issue. The cars were used daily, though.
HappyWheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 13:37   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasikia View Post
Please suggest,
  • Does connecting dashcam to the Kia car's fuse box affect Kia India warranty?
Technically, this is the safest way to plug accessories in your car. But a company can go to any lengths to void warranty in case they want to, even if the accessories did not cause any damage. Some car companies don't care if you have accessories or not. They will replace any part which needs replacement. KIA doesn't seems to be a company who might void a warranty for unrelated reasons. (Cough; Skoda)

Best you can do is to remove your electrical accessories if you see there is a possibility of warranty claim.
frewper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 14:18   #5
BHPian

The claim by the accessories shop guy that it never worked on any cars is just hyperbole and him trying to shield his inefficiency. I have the same dashcam - 70mai Pro Plus+ A500S, dual channel installed on my Crysta for the past one year or so. Purchased it from Nexdigitron and made it a point to purchase the full kit, including the hardwire kit as I was keen on the parking surveillance.

But me being a DIY noob, I asked Nexdigitron for suggestion for a vendor who can install it in BLR. They referred me to Edge Car Accessories in HSR and those guys did a superb job installing it. They knew what they were doing and it was done in under an hour. Clean, professional job.
Jeash.vk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 09:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for this thread. I have the same variant and have just ordered the ddpai z40 dual.
Attaching the fuse diagram with the fuse details. This might help the experts to advice us better.

My question here is whether we can use the blank slots to power the camera?
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Carens parking surveillance using 70mai dashcam | Queries about its wiring-img_20230418_094342.jpg  

Kia Carens parking surveillance using 70mai dashcam | Queries about its wiring-img_20230418_094423.jpg  

Kia Carens parking surveillance using 70mai dashcam | Queries about its wiring-img_20230418_094417.jpg  

Old 24th April 2023, 01:28   #7

According to Prestige Plus model, there are four empty slots. You need to test each slots whether it is a Constant power (always powered) or Accessory power (powered only when the ignition is on). But nice idea. You can give your idea to the guy who is installing the dashcam. If you are doing yourself, then take a multimeter and test the socket and decide.

Please post the results.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks