Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2023, 20:59   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier shaking & bouncing at idle (randomly)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
But there's very intermittent issue that I face - very very randomly (like once in a month or so) the car shakes at idle. Please don't confuse this with "vibrations at idle". When I say shake - I mean the car literally bounces at idle. Let me try to describe the shake - it's like you're driving on rumbler strips at very low speeds OR you're standing still & someone is jumping in the car.
To me it looks like clutch judder but this is not happening every time. The frequency you mentioned also looks similar to clutch judder. Can a faulty/sticky release bearing or pressure plates be a culprit? I think release bearing or pressure plate is not behaving the way it should in some particular scenario.

Can you try to make the clutch judder and see if the shake/bounce is similar to what you are facing. Put the car in 1st, press the break, release the clutch slowly till the car judders and press the clutch. Car tries to move but as the break is applied it judders. If the judder is same, the problem may be around the clutch.
SteeringWheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2023, 22:09   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I Warm up the engine properly, let it idle. Then start pushing and pulling at everything. Start with the whole engine. See if the RPM changes at all if you push or pull it any specific direction. Next push and pull every electrical connection you see. Just tug gently. Observe the RPMs. Next every sensor on the car.

Jeroen
This is why I like talking to seniors and experienced elders & I loiter on Team-BHP often. This kind of out of the box trouble shooting is what is not written in the text books and is garnered over years of varied experiences.

Dear OP, do let us know if this enable you to identify the problem.
G V Krishna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2023, 07:16   #18
BHPian

I had same issue in my mahindra verito diesel manual some years ago.
It is due to damaged gearbox mount. Please ask authorised service center to check that.
Advise - please avoid FNG for this issue as there are a lot of fake spare parts in market. They will create more issues in future.
Abhishek_Garg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2023, 10:42   #19
BHPian

I have the same issue in my 2019 Feb XZ Harrier. I tried multiple service centers, replaced multiple parts under warranty but still the problem persists. Occurs very rarely though, especially inside the city. I was unsuccessful in trying to reproduce the issue when I am at the service center.

Quote:
@MODS: I couldn't find relevant threads, hence started a new one. Feel free to merge if there's any existing thread.

But there's very intermittent issue that I face - very very randomly (like once in a month or so) the car shakes at idle. Please don't confuse this with "vibrations at idle". When I say shake - I mean the car literally bounces at idle. Let me try to describe the shake - it's like you're driving on rumbler strips at very low speeds OR you're standing still & someone is jumping in the car.

When this happens, the car shakes around 4-5 times a second. It's been around 4 months since I purchased this car & I've seen this issue 5-6 times till now. Till now the issue has only occurred during deceleration & coming to a halt (traffic signal or an intersection on the road). No CEL on the dashboard at this point. Also, whenever this occurs, a gentle dab on the A-pedal makes the shaking go away.

Thanks!
Mechanto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2023, 11:53   #20
BHPian

Based upon the inputs above, I've noted following things to get checked (from FNG or DIY, if possible):
  • Injectors
  • Engine/GB mounts
  • Fuel system
  • Electrical/sensor connections
Many users have also pointed that it could be the judder from the clutch. I've had Santro before, and I think I know how a judder feels like (mostly it was seen while starting off from standstill). The one I'm seeing on the Harrier isn't anything close to it. The vibrations from the judder are kind of intense, sometimes they can cause rattles. Also note that this shaking/bouncing is also seen in neutral, I guess it's safe to rule out the clutch judder?
Old 25th April 2023, 00:03   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Can the experts here shed some light on what could be this cause?

Thanks!

Let me tell you that a Renault Lodgy 110 PS we have did this exactly ( very violent shake of the whole vehicle which made me switch off the engine immediately ) , just before the fuel pump totally gave up. But we also did have the check engine light in amber.
r24x7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 13:17   #22
BHPian

I could reproduce the issue twice today morning while coming to the office. Like always it happened while I came to a stop (sequence: driving in 2nd or 3rd gear --> depress the clutch --> apply the brakes --> stop the car --> car shakes). It was possible for me to open the hood where the issue occurred today, but unfortunately the moment I let go of the clutch (the car was in neutral), the shaking/bouncing went away both the times.

I guess it's going to be hard to explain it to the mechanics/reproduce it before them . Worst case, I'll have to take the mechanic with me and reproduce the issue and let him look under the hood while I keep the clutch depressed.
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 19:10   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Seems like a clutch/flywheel issue, especially when engine/transmission is hot. It is a judder, rather than vibration. Typical of DMF flywheel based clutches wearing out.
I believe this is the most likely reason: some sort of issue with the Dual Mass Flywheel which causes the engine to bounce on its mounts and shake the car.

You can learn more about DMF in this video:

Unfortunately, the only way to diagnose this is by replacing the flywheel to check if the issue is resolved. Considering that the vehicle is still under warranty, I suggest getting this done before it gets worse and you end up paying for this diagnostic replacement from your pocket.

Jeroen's suggestion is great, however, I believe your car is quite new to have wiring contact issues, but more importantly, its got enough sensors on the engine to detect such a wiring issue. Had this been a fuelling issue, the Knock sensor and exhaust Lambda would have triggered the CEL.
Flywheel and Transmission seem much more likely than an electrical issue.
AdityaRai is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 06:21   #24

Quote:

I guess it's going to be hard to explain it to the mechanics/reproduce it before them . Worst case, I'll have to take the mechanic with me and reproduce the issue and let him look under the hood while I keep the clutch depressed.
Try to reproduce this issue in steep incline in a flyover/bridge. Probably both in up steep and down incline.
See if you are able to reproduce it. If i understand right it is not a vibration, it is a shake or bounce. It might probably happen when you stop in a traffic in incline up or down in a flyover. Check it.

- CM
King CMR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 08:00   #25
BHPian

Take your car to 3500 or more rpms for around 500 meters once every 200 kms or a week. This cleans up the EGR and smoothens up the engine.
I follow this diligently on my 2.2 Dicor engine.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 13:57   #26
BHPian

Update:
Last week I visited an FNG to replace the brake pads. In the same visit, I tried my best to reproduce the shaking in front of the mechanic, but unfortunately it didn't happen in front of him.

Because of some complications (over-tightened lug nuts), I had to take the car to TASS to do the job. Even there I wasn't able to reproduce the shaking/bouncing. Plus, the SA couldn't find any errors in OBD scan.

Since my last post, I've completed ~1000 KMs. Fortunately the shaking/bouncing was not seen even once
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 16:59   #27
BHPian

Hi,

I had just given my 2019 compass for clutch replacement. This wobbling was seen in my car since 20k kms. It's now done 90k. I took it to new mody service in Hyderabad. In the test drive the technician informed me that mount and fly wheel also needs to be replaced and the vibration is because of that. He went on to inform all the cars with these engines have this issue.

I think it's better to check the mounting and flywheel. Since it's used vehicle, we never know how it was maintained earlier.

Regards,

Hope this helps
abhiram.soma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 17:51   #28

Quote:
the car shakes at idle. Till now the issue has only occurred during deceleration & coming to a halt (traffic signal or an intersection on the road). No CEL on the dashboard at this point. Also, whenever this occurs, a gentle dab on the A-pedal makes the shaking go away.
I am not an expert, but faced similar behaviour on my Ford Fiesta 2011 diesel model after filling it once with 10liters of Indian oil Xtra Green diesel (its a bio diesel 7% blend).
My car used to vibrate, engine stutter and even turn off when I slow down.
I had to get the injectors repaired for the issue to be fixed.
Old 8th September 2023, 21:29   #29
BHPian

Update:
Just finished the yearly service at TASS. Just like many of you had hinted, the engine A-mount had worn out & needed replacement.
While I hadn't seen the shaking in a while, I hope the replacement of the mount fixes it for good.

Thanks everyone!
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks