Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2023, 17:15   #1

Noise issue observed in my Mahindra Scorpio-N Diesel AT

Hello Folks,

I need your help with respect to one unusual issue I am facing with my Scorpio N Z4 D AT car. I got the delivery of my car on 15-Jan-2023 from Salasar Autocrafts, Panvel, Maharashtra.

Since the car was new, I restricted myself to 80 Kmph for the initial 1000 kms. After crossing the 1000km mark, I was taking my car for its first servicing and as I was in a hurry, I was driving between 90 to 100 kmph. At that time, I heard a strange grumpy noise after releasing the accelerator pedal suddenly above the speed of 90 kmph. I was surprised to hear this noise. I highlighted this issue to SA during first service but they could not identify the root cause. Please check the following video. You may need to use headphones to hear that noise clearly. You can hear the same at the end of the video (when I release the accelerator pedal).

As I am staying in Pune, I decided to check this issue further with Shiv Autowings, Chinchwad, Pune. They did a thorough testing on my car; however they also could not identify the reason for this strange noise. Hence, they requested a technical team from Mahindra Chakan Plant to check this issue. This technical team also could hear that noise above 90 kmph, but they did not have any answer to this issue.

Finally, an R&D team from Mahindra visited the service center to check the issue. Again after verifying everything for almost two days, they were unable to find the root cause. Hence, they took some data from my car for further analysis.

After 4-5 days, the service center received an update from Mahindra R&D team asking them to disconnect the ESP module and then check if this noise is coming. The service center requested me to bring the car again to check the same. Upon disconnecting ESP, surprisingly this noise vanished. Hence, they concluded that there is some issue with ESP Unit assembly and it needs to be replaced. They put a request for this part which took a week's time to arrive at the service center. Installing and further testing again took 2-3 more days. However, even after replacing this part, the issue persisted.

So I escalated this issue to Mahindra Customer Care Manager for Pune region. He discussed this issue with all the teams involved in this testing and concluded this noise issue is present in all Scorpio N Diesel variants and there is no solution to this issue currently.

I was surprised by this response. Hence, I requested him to demonstrate the presence of this same noise in any other Scorpio N in my presence and to my disappointment, it was present in other Scorpio N as well; however the intensity of this noise was very low as compared to my car. Hence other Scorpio N owners are not able to hear this noise whereas I could.

Apart from this issue, I did not come across any other niggle with my car. Mahindra Scorpio N is a fantastic vehicle and a treat for any vehicle enthusiast. However, this weird noise (although it's coming for hardly 1 sec), is taking away the driving pleasure and becoming a cause for concern since I drive for long distances almost on all weekends.

After following up for more than 2 months, Mahindra is now saying that they will check with their team internally if anything can be done to reduce this noise; however, they are not sure by when they can come up with a solution.

Requesting your valuable inputs/suggestions to address this issue and let me know if anyone has had a similar experience.

P.S to Mods- Please feel to merge this post with any existing thread if you deem appropriate.

Thanks!

Cool-Shine
Cool-Shine is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 09:28   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Noise issue observed in my Mahindra Scorpio-N Diesel AT

Mod Note: Thread moved to Tech Stuff!
Old 31st May 2023, 11:20   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool-Shine View Post
Hello Folks,

You may need to use headphones to hear that noise clearly. You can hear the same at the end of the video (when I release the accelerator pedal).

https://Youtube.com/watch?v=mmV_2zUx41c?feature=share
Looking at the video, you should ask them to check the fuel pump. Sudden closure of hydraulic lines, and latency between the power cut off and actual pressure decline may cause the whole systems to vibrate, which may be the reason for the noise. The timing of the individual components may not be in sync.

Last edited by ReventonLover : 31st May 2023 at 11:46.
ReventonLover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 18:06   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReventonLover View Post
Looking at the video, you should ask them to check the fuel pump. Sudden closure of hydraulic lines, and latency between the power cut off and actual pressure decline may cause the whole systems to vibrate, which may be the reason for the noise. The timing of the individual components may not be in sync.
Thank you @ReventonLover for your advice. I will surely ask ASC to check the fuel pump. But if there is any issue with the fuel pump then why this noise is not coming after disconnecting ESP module?
Old 31st May 2023, 18:55   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool-Shine View Post
Thank you @ReventonLover for your advice. I will surely ask ASC to check the fuel pump. But if there is any issue with the fuel pump then why this noise is not coming after disconnecting ESP module?
Since the timings are controlled electronically, the phenomenon may or may not occur when you are disconnecting the ESP module. You need to have the service center team do a good bad analysis (switch individual components and test) to understand the origin of the fault. I have also sent a mail (via TBHP). Hope the resolution helps. To be fair, I am not well versed with the ECUs now. Hopefully the wiring circuit of the modules may help in understanding the operating protocol. You can ask the service team for the same.

Last edited by ReventonLover : 31st May 2023 at 18:56. Reason: Text addition.
ReventonLover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 22:50   #6

I am facing the exact same issue in my Z8L D AT. The sound may be just slightly less, happens only over speeds of above 90 kmph. I jus did an internet search with this and luckily landed on this topic. Was thinking of checking with the service center on this but less point now that I know it's a universal issue. Also it happens only one out of 2-3 times at higher speeds when I release the accelerator and feels like a vibration along with a small 0.5 second grrrr sound. I started getting this after 3-4k of driving by the way.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks