Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2007, 16:22   #16
Team-BHP Support

toiingg, perform a coolant leak test on your car. This is how you do it:

Connect the shown device to your coolant tank and then add pressure using the gun. If there is any leak then coolant will start spooling out. Hope that helps.
Old 22nd July 2007, 16:45   #17
yuv
BHPian

Since everything else has been covered... have you tried cleaning the radiator itself? Maybe its choked... not completely, which explains no heating while in motion.

You could try flushing the radiator...

My 2 cents ... All the best!
Old 23rd July 2007, 14:42   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Its a typical and old problem with the OHC. Your fan has conked off. In the company it may cost you upward of 10000 but only about 2 - 4 grand in the aftermarket.
Old 23rd July 2007, 15:12   #19
BANNED

Errrrrr Rush,

He has mentioned that his radiator fan rather both fans are working.

Viper
Old 23rd July 2007, 15:13   #20
BHPian

First of all, a big thanks for all you guys who responded to the query, and sorry for not replying for the past 2 days (was away for the weekend.. will tell more about that in another thread with pics).

It gets weirder...

I got the fan checked, I drove around for some time and then went to my mechanic and we let the engine run with the car stationary for sometime, sure enough, the temp needle started rising and we expected the thermostat switch to be the culprit as it was not putting the radiator fan 'on' when it was supposed to.

However, the fans DID come on (means the switch was fine) but just for about 15 - 20 seconds (this is what the problem was). When my mechanic connected the wire directly on the switch, and the fan was switched on for about 1 min, the temp went down to normal.
I think the problem is that the thermostat switch is not putting the fans on for more than 10 seconds and thats why the engine is overheating. If the fan is allowed to be on for about 1 min, the temp becomes normal.

Well, i got the thermostat switch changed (bought the switch @600/- from the same place as i had last time) but the problem still persists. I think the switch i got was not original and I'll get another one and see what happens.

Fingers crossed.
Old 23rd July 2007, 15:48   #21
Team-BHP Support

Also check the temp gauge calibration by connecting an external one, just to double check.
Old 24th July 2007, 11:28   #22
BHPian

Is there any way that the time that the fans come 'on' for can be increased ?
Old 24th July 2007, 11:35   #23
Team-BHP Support

Not sure on how its controlled in OHC, since its an ECU car it might have to be done in conjunction with sensors and ECU programming. Its better you consult an competent workshop and get the job done.
Old 24th July 2007, 11:57   #24
BHPian

please check your engine coolant temp sensor or the wiring going to that sensor for any cut or loose connections.
Old 24th July 2007, 12:03   #25
BHPian

yes thats right ford rocam.
its the coolant temperature switch. Locate it, unplug it and the fans should turn on.
Old 5th July 2008, 20:05   #26
BHPian

Update - Solved

The overheating problem was solved a long time back, just thought of updating this thread so that others facing a similar problem would know what to do.

So as you guys know, i had tried replacing the thermostat (twice) but the problem refused to go away. I had almost leaned to live with it, decided to get it done from H.A.S.S when i would be taking her for her 1lakh.. (another 3k to go) service. I knew they would make me pay thru my nose but i had no other options. Till then, whenever the temp needle would go too high, i would just switch on the AC for about a minute and the temp needle would come back to normal (remember this would only happen when crawling in bumper to bumper traffic).

So I was also looking for a good garage/mechanic and was referred to one by our Kolkata BHP'ians (Planet & shuvd). Went to him with a couple of queries.. just general checkup etc. and just told him of the problem. He said that prolly your raidiator is clogged with dust. That seemed unlikely coz just around 10-15 days back i had taken it to a petrol pump for a water service (where they put the car up a ramp and hose it with high pressure water and then compressed air) i had seen that the guys had sprayed the raidiator as well and cleaned it.

Then he said 'aha' thats what the problem is. You see, most of these guys hose it down first, then use the compressed air to dry it off. What happens is, although most of the mud comes off, still there is plenty left in the fins which become wet and before it is completely washed off, the compressed air drys it and it solidifys in the fins again.

Well, although the reasoning made sence, i thought 'arre kitna hoga'. He said what should ideally be done is,

1. Use the compressed air to first blow off the dry mud from the raidiator. (both from the front as well as from behind the AC condensor)
2. Then use the high pressure water hose.
3. Use the compressed air again to dry it off.

He made his mechanic do exactly that, and indeed i could see the dry mud (dust) being blowed out of the raidiator. He followed step 2 & 3.

The overheating problem did go away after that. I could not imagine how such a small thing could solve the issue which was bothering me. Lol.

Best part was, the mechanic did not charge me anything for it. Not even a penny even though i insisted that he least take some service charge. I could imagine, any unhonest chap, could have cooked up some story or the other (sir, raidiator flush kar ke andar ka valve change karna parega.. etc) and made some quick money but i was really amazed with his professional attitude and honesty.

Thanks Shazid / Suman.
Thanks a ton to everyone for their suggestions and help.

PS: MODS, please update the topic as Solved.

Over and out!

Last edited by toiingg : 5th July 2008 at 20:11. Reason: Grammer
Old 5th July 2008, 20:22   #27
Senior - BHPian

Dude... who was this mechanic ?

Honest mechanics are rare... please PM me his contact details so I can also go to his regarding my Accent's problems !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks