Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2023, 13:44   #1
BHPian

Falling quality of Maruti Genuine Parts (MGP) air filters

Has anyone noticed recent dip in quality of MGP air filters?

I have been trying to source OEM air filter for Ritz Petrol for quite some time now. Checked for filters manufactured in different months, but every batch seems to have similar issue - plastic moulding has seeped over sizeable sections of paper element, leaving reduced air filtration area. Wondering how these could pass MGP quality checks!

Below is the filter manufactured in Dec 2022.
Falling quality of Maruti Genuine Parts (MGP) air filters-dec-22-air-filter-1.jpeg

Falling quality of Maruti Genuine Parts (MGP) air filters-dec-22-air-filter-2.jpeg

Falling quality of Maruti Genuine Parts (MGP) air filters-dec-22-air-filter-3.jpeg

Below is the filter manufactured in Oct 2022.
Falling quality of Maruti Genuine Parts (MGP) air filters-oct-2022-air-filter-1.jpeg

Falling quality of Maruti Genuine Parts (MGP) air filters-oct-2022-air-filter-2.jpeg

Falling quality of Maruti Genuine Parts (MGP) air filters-oct-2022-air-filter-3.jpeg

Have tried multiple sources - Boodmo, local Maruti workshops, but all have the same issue.
Also, it does not definitely appear to be one off bad batches having this issue.

Thanks.
vaasu is online now   (37) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 15:23   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Falling quality of Maruti Genuine Parts (MGP) air filters

Thanks for sharing, vaasu! Moving your post out to a new thread so as to update others. A new thread means 100X the views & 100X the visibility in search engines, including Google. Will add to homepage later this week .

@ BHPians, if you should spot any good post in an existing thread that deserves its own new thread, please report the post and we'll move it out for greater visibility.

Thank you!
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 15:47   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I have always heard of Japanese companies being brutal with suppliers when it comes to part quality. This includes even the two wheeler manufacturer Honda Motorcycles. And thats what keeps them so consistent in quality in reliability. But this is a nasty surprise. Maruti Suzuki might be losing its Japanese influence and increasingly becoming an Indian company like Tata or Mahindra. Who is the supplier any markings on the filter?

And if I see it right, these moulding extrusions are on the clean side of the air filter which is towards the intake. If thats really the case its horrible since if these bits come loose it can get sucked into the intake manifold and even get lodged in the throttle body which is a hazard. Better switch to a Non OE brand if multiple parts have the same issue.

Last edited by audioholic : 5th May 2023 at 15:48.
audioholic is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 15:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

By any chance did you email the pics to the contact details mentioned on the box? They also have to see a custom care number it seems. Your best bet is to get a proper aftermarket one.
Old 5th May 2023, 16:49   #5
BHPian

This engine air filter looks similar to my Alto's.

I had purchased VALEO air filter part number 585997 in 2019 and found that the rubber gasket thickness was less it was vibrating inside the air filter box. So I removed the rubber gasket from the old Maruti Suzuki air filter and used it on the Valeo part.

Later in 2021, I bought the Maruti Suzuki air filter part number 13780M79F00 and found no issues.

May be slightly off-topic, I had purchased H4 halogen bulb from boodmo of Maruti Suzuki part number 09471M12090.

Following were the quality issues I had observed in one of the bulb:
  1. Text in printing was big & blur
  2. Gap was less from the base to the glass
  3. Anti-glare was covering the required light output
I prepared a presentation & had sent the same to Maruti Suzuki by email but I did not get any response from them.
I will attach the quality issue presentation here.

Later I got H4 halogen bulbs of Osram make.

One of my mechanics had told me that the last 2 digits of the part numbers in Maruti Suzuki represent the actual manufacturer of the part.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf H4-Bulb-Quality_20210402.pdf (992.8 KB, 100 views)
bobbyblr is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 16:57   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasu View Post
Although not as bad as reported by you, I've noticed poor quality in a then expensive MGP air filter that I got for a 2010 sx4. This was sometime in 2015. It cost some 400 bucks which was about double of what an aftermarket Purolator air filter cost. I compared both, and there seemed to be no difference in the fit n finish, but decided to go with MGP as it was a genuine part. The issue that I noticed with the MGP filter was that white strands could be seen on the inlet side. Just 10,000kms later, we found that the filter had got clogged rather badly even under clean driving conditions, and then changed it with a Purolator.

Last edited by vigsom : 5th May 2023 at 16:59.
vigsom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 20:54   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
By any chance did you email the pics to the contact details mentioned on the box? They also have to see a custom care number it seems. Your best bet is to get a proper aftermarket one.
Have not emailed it to Maruti as yet. Will do shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Who is the supplier any markings on the filter?

And if I see it right, these moulding extrusions are on the clean side of the air filter which is towards the intake. If thats really the case its horrible since if these bits come loose it can get sucked into the intake manifold and even get lodged in the throttle body which is a hazard. Better switch to a Non OE brand if multiple parts have the same issue.
There are no supplier markings on the filter.
Have tried aftermarket filters from both Purolator and Mahle, but had rubber gasket thickness issue with both. So, had to reuse the old rubber gasket from MGP filter.

Somehow, I also felt that engine seemed to be peppier with MGP filter. Not sure if it was just me. Hence, have stuck to MGP only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyblr View Post
This engine air filter looks similar to my Alto's.

I had purchased VALEO air filter part number 585997 in 2019 and found that the rubber gasket thickness was less it was vibrating inside the air filter box. So I removed the rubber gasket from the old Maruti Suzuki air filter and used it on the Valeo part.
Yes, old Alto's filter appear similar to this one. However, I do not have dimensions for it, so do not know if it will fit.
I too experienced this rubber gasket thickness issue with both Purolator and Mahle air filters. However, fit and finish of Mahle filter was much better than MGP one.

Thanks.
vaasu is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 11:58   #8
BHPian

I would not be surprised to find out that to save on cost Maruti has opted to source these filters from a 2nd tier or even a 3rd tier component manufacturer. While not impossible, it is very unlikely that a reputed 1st tier OEM supplier would supply such poor quality components. The problem is one of incorrect parameters and settings of the injection moulding machine and/or very poor or worn out moulding dies. These types of problems are something very unlikely to persist over multiple batches with a 1st tier OEM supplier.

Last edited by Axe77 : 6th May 2023 at 12:52. Reason: Minor typo (tire —> tier)
PratikPatel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 12:56   #9
BHPian

Whoa!! As per my experience, the middle dividing plastic should be much thicker and stronger.

This was my experience with my K10 which was bought in 2011 and was used by me till 2021. I have never noticed a dip in quality, but maybe i should check it out now.

The material quality was dipping slowly over the years, but the frame was steady throughout the years. As per your recent observation, it appears the quality is too down south now.

The Oil filters became smaller and smaller over the years though.

Maybe, Just maybe, maruti is reminding its old customers to upgrade.
Old 6th May 2023, 18:05   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Maruti now has more corruption than any govt department. Atleast govt offices has some fear of vigilance, arrest, CBI etc., none of which is applicable for a pvt entity: Suzuki/Maruti.

You grease the right palms to get your product supplied in this gigantic factory. You grease more palms to ensure your supply continues. In the end, its the product (and in turn the customer) that is at loss.

All this when MGP parts are just re-boxed OEM supply parts with a very chunky margin. I sourced gabriel shockers for my Swift from Authorised Gabriel Dealer in Kashmere Gate, Delhi at half the price of what MGP sells it for.

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th May 2023 at 20:56. Reason: Fixed quote
Grr7 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 19:25   #11
BHPian

It seems like this goes down to the factory level. Maruti in general isn't known for the best build quality, but usually their engines and their parts are fairly reliable and last a long time. My guess is that there has been a defect in making the plastic during polymerization, and due to no proper QC in place for these smaller parts, they have been overlooked. I also think that the plastic may have melted(indicator of inconsistent build)due to various physical conditions.
Old 7th May 2023, 00:58   #12
BHPian

I used to wonder why my Corolla Altis (Diesel) had a Denso, Made in Japan with a 15k (or was it 20k) change interval and how difficult could it be to have a Made in India Air filter (air filter being a simple apparatus rather than some complicated machinery/electric circuit)

Now I know why. Because true Japanese take their stuff very seriously. And Air Filter is like Lung of the car. The pure and better the air supply to the engine, the better your car is going to perform.
Grr7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 02:09   #13
BHPian

I was looking for air filter for Ciaz and OEM Maruti Suzuki Filter was looking shabby in the pics on Boodmo (pic attached).

I ended up buying an aftermarket one at the same price.

If it is just the color oozing into the filter element, the performance of the filter would be the same. But why will anyone take chances when there are so many aftermarket options available?
Attached Thumbnails
Falling quality of Maruti Genuine Parts (MGP) air filters-screenshot_2023_0507_015951.jpg  

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 7th May 2023 at 02:13.
Old 7th May 2023, 08:51   #14
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
I filter element, the performance of the filter would be the same. But why will anyone take chances when there are so many aftermarket options available?
Look at this lovely Suzuki Genuine Air Filter I bought in March 2022 for my Gypsy. The vehicle does 4000 odd km a year so in Feb 2023 when I took it for servicing they just air hosed it and put it back saying it was perfectly clean.
Attached Thumbnails
Falling quality of Maruti Genuine Parts (MGP) air filters-img_9771.jpeg  

Falling quality of Maruti Genuine Parts (MGP) air filters-img_8285.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 19:44   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Have not emailed it to Maruti as yet. Will do shortly.
Maruti responded and asked for my nearest Maruti dealer details. After that there was a brief lull until I asked for an update.

Someone from Maruti dealer warehouse in Pune called up today asking when would I like to pick up the filter. I asked him to share filter pictures (from Mar 2023 batch) to see if they too were plagued by similar manufacturing issue and yes they indeed had similar issue (with varying degree).
It appears that even Maruti's QC has been relegated to only self declaration by the vendor

Filter Front
Falling quality of Maruti Genuine Parts (MGP) air filters-filter-front.jpeg

Filter Back
Falling quality of Maruti Genuine Parts (MGP) air filters-filter-back.jpeg

Filter on the extreme right appears to be better than others (though not perfect).

But, guess who responded even before Maruti? Our in-house Maruti expert @LeoShashi
He was kind enough to go all the way to Maruti warehouse in his city and courier them to Pune. Thanks a lot buddy.

Thanks.
vaasu is online now   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks