Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2007, 14:27   #1
BHPian

HELP Urgent : White water stains on the windscreen

Hello wise people of Team-Bhp.

I got back yesterday after being away for the past 10 days, during which time my Skoda was parked outside. It has rained a lot and there as been sunny patches in my absence. But yesterday when I took an evening drive I could not even see thru the wind screen, cause of the glare and Some white stains from the outside.

I tried the Wipers etc for a while, this did make it drive-able, but the white stains are still there, and make it a nightmare when there are incoming lights from head on.

I have tried one of the glass cleaners but it was not of much use...
Can someone suggest me some solution.

I know I can get the entire windscreen "Buffed" or something like that, which takes the white stains away (Saw it being done on another Skoda at the service center...) but this costs close to 2K, I am sure there can be a cheaper solution.
Please help.
Old 19th July 2007, 14:30   #2
Team-BHP Support

Take Kerosene / Diesel and wipe it with a cloth. Then wash the windscreen with soap water.
Old 19th July 2007, 14:35   #3
BHPian

Try cleaning it with easy of bang. It can clean hard stains. :-)
Old 19th July 2007, 15:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Try toothpaste, yae it work wonders. had lots of stain on my cars WS. did a great job in cleaning it.

Use normal paste(not gels), apply it on the entire WS let it dry and later wash it with shampoo.

good luck
Old 19th July 2007, 17:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1182 View Post
Try cleaning it with easy of bang. It can clean hard stains. :-)
beware, its not meant for painted surfaces and can eat up your paint, if it touches it.
Old 19th July 2007, 17:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Could it be that some silicone licqid polish has made its way to your ws? I know it did on mine and i have these streaks which refuse to go away.
Old 19th July 2007, 18:49   #7
BHPian

...I am quite sure it is not Silicon, but more like hard water stains....
Quote:
Try cleaning it with easy of bang. It can clean hard stains
what is this I have no clue...
Old 19th July 2007, 18:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

"Easy of Bang" is a mild Tile/Floor Stain removal liquid and removes most stains including rust stains but is not meant for anything painted, so be careful while using it
Old 19th July 2007, 19:05   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanu28 View Post
what is this I have no clue...
See picture numbers 3, 4 and 5 on this post - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/450362-post65.html
Old 20th July 2007, 10:18   #10
BHPian

One has to take care that the concentrated liquid doesnot come in contact with the paint. It should be good on glass. Wash the body properly after use, to remove residue of the cleaner.
Old 2nd March 2015, 14:32   #11
BHPian

Re: HELP Urgent : White water stains on the windscreen

I am bumping up this old thread as-

I am facing this exact problem since last monsoon season.
I need to get it sorted well before the monsoons.

The windshield is fairly clean in dry conditions (day & night).

But, as soon as there's a drizzle/rain/dirty-water spraying off road or other vehicles in front - it is a NIGHTMARE!

No streak marks from wipers (so blades are good), nothing wrong from the inside.
As soon as the wiper blade "wipes" - the white-water-spots appear for a second or so , which completely compromise the visibility.
On wiper speed 1of4, it is strictly okay-ish.

It's a hazy/whitish/foggy-looking wipe. It clears up after a second or two.
Still - over wiper speeds 2of4, it means - we have an almost continuously unclear windshield.

It is for sure very risky to drive around like this.

Can anyone recommend a solution for this?

I have tried plain water / toothpaste / Meguiars Glass cleaner to clean the windshield - but these have not worked.

I have called up 3m and Windshield experts - but they both say, I will have to check some glass cleaners/clay or some products meant to take care of my exact problem, nothing else will help really.

Is this the kind of product to look for?
Detailer’s Pro Series High Performance Glass Restorer

Is this^ OR something equivalent available in India?

Thanks,

Ace.
Old 2nd March 2015, 16:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
As soon as the wiper blade "wipes" - the white-water-spots appear for a second or so , which completely compromise the visibility.
On wiper speed 1of4, it is strictly okay-ish.

It's a hazy/whitish/foggy-looking wipe. It clears up after a second or two.
Still - over wiper speeds 2of4, it means - we have an almost continuously unclear windshield.
Are you using AC when this happens? Its the formation of condensation on the outside because the outer surface of the glass is much cooler than the ambient temperature.

Whenever this happens, just turn on the heat and set the AC to front windscreen defog. That should fix it.

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 2nd March 2015 at 16:14.
Old 3rd March 2015, 09:11   #13
BHPian

Re: HELP Urgent : White water stains on the windscreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Are you using AC when this happens? Its the formation of condensation on the outside because the outer surface of the glass is much cooler than the ambient temperature.

Whenever this happens, just turn on the heat and set the AC to front windscreen defog. That should fix it.
SunnyBoi,

This is not related to AC and it is not condensation which is causing the problem.
It occurs each and every time the wiper is used.
If you read through my post - whitish/hazy/blurriness only follows the "wipe" of the wiper blade; then fades away in a second or two.
(Just to be sure of the above, I have run AC -cooler & heater at all possible settings/combinations + tried keeping it off too.)

I have looked at hard water deposits images/videos & it's pretty much like that.

Please let me know if you/anyone knows about problem like this getting solved with glass stripper/restorer kinda product (available in India).

Thanks,

Ace.
O.T. - I did not get the quote PM. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't.

Last edited by driverace : 3rd March 2015 at 09:24.
Old 3rd March 2015, 09:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
SunnyBoi,

This is not related to AC and it is not condensation which is causing the problem.
If you read through my post - whitish/hazy/blurriness only follows the "wipe" of the wiper blade; then fades away in a second or two.

I have looked at hard water deposits (images/videos) & it's pretty much like that.

Please let me know if you/anyone knows about problem like this getting solved with glass stripper/restorer kinda product (available in India).

Thanks,

Ace.
O.T. - I did not get the quote PM. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't.
I still believe its the outer glass fogging, which usually disappears in a second or two.

However if you think its due to water deposits, wet tissues with vinegar and keep them on the windscreen for 10 minutes while parked away from the sun. This should dissolve all deposits. If they still persist, you either need a dedicated salt remover, or those marks have etched onto the glass which will require glass polishing or replacement.

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 3rd March 2015 at 09:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks