Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2023, 18:15   #1
BHPian

Kia dealership asking me to pay for Fuel Pump replacement, inspite of recall

Dear Team,

I own a 2020 Kia Seltos HTE MT, 1.5D.

Today (26th May 2023) morning while driving on the Sion-Panvel highway, Maharashtra at approximately 11am, the car suddenly lost power and was not accelerating even after pressing the accelerator and the engine did not restart.
My Driver manuevoured the car to the side of the road safely and tried to restart, however all efforts were in vain.

We contacted RSA at 11:08am and arranged for towing van thru RSA to Shreenath KIA, Andheri W workshop.

Car was brought to the workshop and the vehicle was inspected by Service Representative Junaid who informed that the fuel pump motor was faulty. Upon enquiring if it was faulty or was there debris he clearly informed the fuel pump as faulty and which led to electrical failure to the car not starting. I asked this since all my cars have been refuelled from the same pump at Mumbai since part 18 years.

The car has just done around 15,000 km in the last 3 years 2months and Warranty got over only in March 2023. Also the car has been routinely serviced at KIA Andheri W workshop as per schedule.

Juinad informed me of the cost of replacing the part. However a quick search got me to TEAMBHP article that reads about a Fuel Pump Recall.

I even spoke to the Manger Mr. Harry who says they can only waive off labour since car is out of warranty. No goodwill nothing. Upon telling Mr. Harry about the bulletin he said that bulletin is over, and your car has aged 3 years and parts can fail anytime. I told him Ive had an Audi Q5 for 90k kms Never has fuel pump failed in that or any of my cars! So I ended the call by informing him that I would write to Kia and add him to the loop as well.

Now I'm stuck , will be writing to KIA India.

It's not about the money, if my car had driven x3 kms that it has , I would pay for it, heck the first 1.5 years of ownership was just the COVID lockdowns! With just 15k kms on the ODOMETER, team please tell me if it's a case of faulty part or something else?

I didn't take extended warranty since its a Hyundai-Kia , thought they are more reliable than the rest, I was wrong! Quality has gone

Kia dealership asking me to pay for Fuel Pump replacement, inspite of recall-a98f7548d3fa4025b63669ad9158699b.jpg

Last edited by graaja : 27th May 2023 at 07:10. Reason: Editing as requested
Y@SH is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 19:01   #2
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: Kia dealership asking me to pay for Fuel Pump replacement, inspite of recall

First of all, Kia didn't have proactive communication on this issue and tried to reduce their losses and never did a recall or anything. and since your car is out of warranty, they will not do anything. The best thing you can do is write to Kia directly on this issue. No car is perfect and it is always advised to take the maximum possible extended warranty.
bijims is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 19:20   #3
BHPian

re: Kia dealership asking me to pay for Fuel Pump replacement, inspite of recall

Escalate via twitter, tag Kia India and share the link here.
Old 26th May 2023, 19:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
Now I'm stuck , will be writing to KIA India.
You can try your luck, but it will mostly be of no use. They will immediately acknowledge, set a complaint number, mark the dealer a cc and then there will be silence.

Quote:
I didn't take extended warranty since its a Hyundai-Kia
Actually its the opposite. You have to take an extended warranty because its Hyundai & Co. Unlike say Tata whose QC issues are out in the open, the QC issues (or otherwise) with these sisters concerns are relatively hidden. They generally get revealed only with the passage of time.

Hyundai & Co. fans, don't misunderstand me. I own an expensive Kia - it was a calculated risk on my part, is all I can say.
rrsteer is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 21:48   #5
BHPian

Is your VIN part of the recall? If so, then you can take it up. If that is the case, I am not sure why you were not intimated for the replacement.

If it is not part of affected VIN series, you can write to Kia to consider under Goodwill.
thanixravindran is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 22:34   #6
BHPian

I have Hyundai Venue DCT which we bought in December of 2019 and have the maximum warranty available for the car and have reaped benefits of the same from Hyundai . Recently my father told me the car was having Emission warning come up randomly and then it stuck on. We took the car to Himgiri Hyundai and all associated parts were replaced for free and no labour charges .

Despite your car being a Kia , its always advisable to go for the maximum warranty available from the manufacturer and even extended warranty as and when available after the initial one is about to get over.
drift2race is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2023, 01:16   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

When KIA identified the issue with fuel pumps, they did a proactive check on all the cars when the cars went for service. Mine went through this exercise as well. They replaced fuel pumps if found faulty or refit the existing ones if otherwise. Check your old service bills to see if your car's fuel pump was ever checked, it's mentioned in the service records.
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 15:25   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kia dealership asking me to pay for Fuel Pump replacement, inspite of recall

Quite unfortunate. If this is part of the vehicles covered by the campaign, I am very surprised that they are not replacing the part free of cost. If not, your dealer is right. For a part like a fuel pump, failure rates will increase with time even if they are low - even with a failure rate of 1 in 10000 in 3 years, you could be the one. So asking you to take an extended warranty to cover something other than a known defect is fair. Always take an extended warranty in my view. Fortunately this is not a very expensive part / so consider it a relatively cheap lesson learnt.
Hayek is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks