Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2007, 17:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Extreme FE differences with the same cars!

I've been noticing for quite sometime that similar models with the same engines give extremely different FE figures.
For Eg.
Normally_crazy's Ikon 1.6 gives 12 kmpl whereas Danlalan's Ikon 1.6 gives 5 kmpl.
Vid6639's lancer petrol gives 8 kmpl(previously 10+) while Elf's lancer petrol gives 6.5 kmpl.
Some Fiat 1.6s are reported to give 6kmpl while a few of our members get over 10+.
Figures mentioned above are in city with AC (~75% of the time).
Considering that all the cars don't have major mods and a heavy foot,
Why does this strange phenomenon exist??
Old 25th July 2007, 17:28   #2
Team-BHP Support

I can only conclude that these figures depend on driving style's, traffic conditions, car condition etc.

Nothing else can attribute to such a large difference in FE figures
Old 25th July 2007, 17:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

1. Driving style
2. Driving conditions for example vid might have to go through 2 signals compared to elf who has to cross 4 signals, so how many times each of them have to shift the gears, stop and what speed and what gear they can drive ... think these 2 factors are very important.
Old 25th July 2007, 17:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

On a Team-BHP drive, Elf got a 7.25 kmpl figure.
What about that?
People who know Elf's driving style, pls comment.

Also note that Danlalan's tried his best and gave up as his ikon still gives 5kmpl no matter what.
Old 25th July 2007, 17:50   #5
BHPian

pretty sure it has to do with car condition, some are maintained and tuned better than others. also maybe the first owner did not follow proper 'run in' procedures???

i used to drive a matiz which refused to give more than 9kmpl with a super light foot. mechanically the car was in perfect condition but no idea how the previous owner ran it.
Old 25th July 2007, 18:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

So, Does run-in have a LOT to do with FE for the rest of the lifetime??
Old 25th July 2007, 18:08   #7
Team-BHP Support

Too much depends on driving conditions, time of commute, type of roads and ofcourse the type of driver.

And yes, there are the exceptions of a car being particularly out of tune. Harder to do with a MPFI though.
Old 25th July 2007, 18:14   #8
BHPian

just what i was thinking!

i've always found FE figures posted by some people to be extra-ordinary..... Ikon 1.6 being a prime example.... two friends of mine.... same year same model same city similar driving style..... one guy gets 8.5-9 kmpl and the other never gets below 11 kmpl.

people keep saying M1000 mayb underpowered but compensates with FE..... i disagree.... my car struggles to give 12kmpl in the city.....11 is the usual average.... thats not so great as i know many esteem owners who have constantly got 12kmpl inside city!
flipsyde is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th July 2007, 18:20   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
So, Does run-in have a LOT to do with FE for the rest of the lifetime??
I too have same question. I ran my SX4 at 110 during run-in (briefly for sometime during long drive), but people said do not go beyond 80 during run-in.

WILL IT AFFECT FE IN LONG RUN?
Old 25th July 2007, 18:21   #10
BHPian

what if the way these people are calculating FE figures are different?
this is how i do it
1. tank up full tank (note how many lts went in, example 20lts)
2. drive 200kms
3. tank up again full (note how much lts went it, example 8lts )
4. subtract 3 from 1 (20-8=12lts)
5. divide 200/ the above figure (200/12 =16.67kmpl)

never rely on the trip computer in the car, in most cars i have seen its quite pessimistic.

Last edited by cheap_deal : 25th July 2007 at 18:27.
Old 25th July 2007, 18:22   #11
Team-BHP Support

My iKON gave 10 to 12 kmpl with me driving in city with AC and gave not even a km more than 9 kmpl when my cousin drove it over a weekend.

Again in swift d i get around 21 kmpl during onward journey to kerala (climbing down and less traffic) while i land up with 19 kmpl in return journey (climbing up and more traffic) and this has happened multiple times, dont think the diesel in Palghat contribute so much of difference.

So i feel:

a) driving style
b) load on engine
c) traffic

These are the most important factors, as RT said state of tune will not be way off in new gen cars (ECU controlled), apart from some extreme case of negligent maintanence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
I too have same question. I ran my SX4 at 110 during run-in (briefly for sometime during long drive), but people said do not go beyond 80 during run-in.

WILL IT AFFECT FE IN LONG RUN?
I believe and experienced on the contrary, cars which got run in mostly on highways deliver better pick up and FE. Had lived with 3 such specimens (2 puny 800 and my old iKON), where as cars which were pampered more were sad with power and FE.

The trick is to keep it at optimum power band and ensure proper gears are used, instead of sticking to very low rpms and speeds for long.

Last edited by adya33 : 26th July 2007 at 09:22.
Old 25th July 2007, 18:44   #12
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I believe and experienced on the contrary, cars which got run in mostly on highways deliver better pick up and FE. Had lived with 3 such specimens (2 puny 800 and my old iKON), where as cars which were pampered more were sad with power and FE.
Did these cars have ECU? I have read that running in hard mainly influences the learning curve of the ECU and helps in improving performance at higher speeds. Here is a web discussion:

Running in a new car - Ultimatecarpage.com forums
Old 25th July 2007, 18:50   #13
Team-BHP Support

Nope both the 800 were carbed cars and am not boasting with the following, but the people who have driven and the workshop guys who used to service these cars were always baffled by the power delivery of the engines.

Same cannot be said about the mechanical parts, not sure if they disintegrated due to heavy usage or very aggressive run ins. I suspect the former.
Old 25th July 2007, 19:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

Nitrous - Also remember that in our society the first question that is asked when people buy a new car is "Mileage kya hai?" so some people also do inflate the FE figures to justify their purchase to being superior than what their neighbour bought!
Old 25th July 2007, 20:00   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Nitrous - Also remember that in our society the first question that is asked when people buy a new car is "Mileage kya hai?" so some people also do inflate the FE figures to justify their purchase to being superior than what their neighbour bought!
One particular friend of mine boasts his Pajero (petrol) gives 26kmpl consistently! (says its due to superior japanese technology ).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks