Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2023, 10:21   #16
BANNED

Re: How to drive a Hybrid Car through the floods? Can we disable EV mode?

This raises another question, are the batteries used in hybrid versions of Toyota Hyryder, Hycross, and Maruti Grand Vitara waterproofed, do they have any ratings like IP67 ?
Old 31st July 2023, 10:36   #17
BHPian

Simplest answer is generally the right one in most cases. Switch off the car, get out of the car and get to a safe place. If the car gets flooded, "it gets flooded" and you have insurance to cover.
Naetik30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 11:05   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
This raises another question, are the batteries used in hybrid versions of Toyota Hyryder, Hycross, and Maruti Grand Vitara waterproofed, do they have any ratings like IP67 ?
After going through their respective brochures, websites, and team-bhp reviews, I couldn't find any mention of IP (International Protection) ratings for the hybrid system, which includes both the batteries and electrical components.

The absence of these ratings suggests that the batteries are likely not rated for water resistance. Considering this, it's advisable for car owners to avoid flooded roads altogether, rather than solely relying on switching off the EV mode.

So the answer to OP's question is, avoid flooded roads altogether, switching of the EV mode alone won't help.

A snap from the Invicto and Hyryder brochures for reference:

Maruti Invicto:
Name:  invicto hybrid.png
Views: 233
Size:  12.7 KB

Toyota Hyryder:
How to drive a Hybrid Car through the floods? Can we disable EV mode?-hyryder-battery.png

Wonder how such an important point about the IP ratings of hybrid systems of these cars is left out by all the reviewers, dear moderators can this point be added to the respective reviews of hybrid cars.

Last edited by wheelguy : 31st July 2023 at 11:13.
Old 31st July 2023, 15:10   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
I couldn't find any mention of IP (International Protection) ratings for the hybrid system, which includes both the batteries and electrical components.

The absence of these ratings suggests that the batteries are likely not rated for water resistance. Considering this, it's advisable for car owners to avoid flooded roads altogether, rather than solely relying on switching off the EV mode.
IP - ingress protection. First digit shows the ingress protection with regard to solid particles like dust etc and the second Digit shows the protection with respect to liquid.

These lithium battery packs are super reactive to water. Sole reason why water isn’t used for lithium ion fires. Being an alkali metal It will react very strongly/violently/explosively with water and release hydrogen gas. Same with sodium and water. Technically speaking, these batteries should have the highest IP protection as possible and surely they might be tested for that. However, I feel the problem here might be of short circuiting outside the battery pack.

So if one is buying an EV, keep an eye on the motor and battery pack’s IP ratings as it gives a clear idea about whether the powertrain can withstand water environments. The higher the IP rating the better it is for water use.
NomadSK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 15:24   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
IP - ingress protection. First digit shows the ingress protection with regard to solid particles like dust etc and the second Digit shows the protection with respect to liquid.
Meant to say the same, typo due to prompt/autocorrect, missed it in the oversight.
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 18:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In ICE cars, it is recommended to maintain some accelerator input when driving through mild floods (so water doesn't enter the exhaust pipe). In cars with idling start / stop systems, it is recommended to disable the idling start / stop in flooded areas.
I am curious to know how to ensure water doesn't enter the tailpipe of a hybrid car being driven in EV mode on a flooded road
Old 1st August 2023, 18:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKannan View Post
I am curious to know how to ensure water doesn't enter the tailpipe of a hybrid car being driven in EV mode on a flooded road
The presence of the pipe is not the reason for water ingress, but it is the variation in exhaust pressure that sucks the water in.
So, in EV mode, the ingress should be superficial and low impact, unless there are other complicating factors.
Old 22nd September 2023, 21:34   #23
BHPian

Hybrid Car Safety

I was going through the owner's manual of the Maruti Invicto and noticed the prominent warnings about the car's hybrid electrical system. Voltages as high as 600V and the batteries under the driver's seat have got me concerned. Now there are both ac and dc voltages.
Back in the good old 80's one could still navigate flooded streets in my old FIAT or my Ambassador. In fact we got out of a flooded street in Calcutta with water having entered the cabin of our faithful FIAT. And the only thing I did was to make sure the engine did not die on us.
Back to the present, especially thinking of the recent floods in Punjab and Himachal. We were still safe in our humble Baleno even though water was at floor level during ours forays in the last devastating monsoons.
I shudder to think of a similar situation in one of these Hybrids under these circumstances. And with all that high voltage floating around. Probably the same for Electric Vehicles too.
There are no notes on protection against electrocution from the hybrid car's electrical systems. Can some experts throw some assuring responses please
airwarrior is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2023, 17:35   #24
BHPian

Re: Hybrid Car Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwarrior View Post
There are no notes on protection against electrocution from the hybrid car's electrical systems. Can some experts throw some assuring responses please
There is a dedicated thread on this, Kindly refer there
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ev-mode-2.html (How to drive a Hybrid Car through the floods? Can we disable EV mode?)
bijims is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2023, 23:13   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
One of the youtube videos in quote referred indicates that if water enters the cabin 'electricity' is disabled from entering into the battery. And after the situation is retrieved the system needs to be reset at the service centre. I presume this would apply to the Invicto. The only issue is the Invicto is pure Electric Powered vehicle I.e. transmission Power is only through the electric motor. So that means that the car would come to a dead stop as soon as electricity is cut
This makes the car only a fair weather car.
Old 27th September 2023, 12:35   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
This is scary. Will strictly avoid all waterlogged roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks