Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2023, 12:37   #1

Redundant Unlock Switches: Kia Sonet

On most cars I find every switch (user input) has a specific purpose or convenience. While some appear to be redundant, they still have a context of usage or context of runtime parameters.

For example, I can unlock car with Keyfob or Request sensor. While they both do same job, it's a convenience redundancy with slight different usages.

Similarly while locking, Driver door handle lock switch just locks the car, while keyfob lock also enables theft alarm. Redundancy but with different functions.

Similar usefully redundant ones are the Boot unlock buttons on some cars, and window glass controls (either driver or passengers can operate their own)

Now coming to the point, Kia Sonet (and few others) has a 'Car Lock/Unlock' switch at two places.
1. Driver door handle
2. Driver door handrest, close to ORVM adjustment switch

Both of them do exactly same thing at all times!! What is the use of two switches then? Both of them locks/unlocks all doors and they are just a feet away. I neither see any convenience factor too.

Wondering if anyone knows some logic or if I'm missing any little differences. I did test them in various scenarios like leaving doors open and locking, but in every scenario, they just have same behavior.
Old 30th July 2023, 15:54   #2
BHPian

Re: Redundant Unlock Switches: Kia Sonet

I find it convenient to use the buttons on the armrest to lock/unlock the car. However, there was a situation when I didn't have the key with me, and I unlocked the car using my phone. Unfortunately, due to network issues, I couldn't lock the car remotely. My automatic reaction was to open the driver's door and toggle the mechanical lock button to lock the car. The mechanical lock button also lets you see if the door is locked or not.

Additionally, I'm not completely sure, but as far as I know, the mechanical lock button should work even during electronic failures. While it might not activate central locking, it would still allow you to lock the door individually.
Old 30th July 2023, 16:22   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchkreddy View Post
Now coming to the point, Kia Sonet (and few others) has a 'Car Lock/Unlock' switch at two places.
1. Driver door handle
2. Driver door handrest, close to ORVM adjustment switch
may be 1) for unlocking just the driver door while 2) is for unlocking all doors?

Even if Kia hasnt programmed it that way, would be curious to know if it can be done. Vaguely remember in my Verna I used to find it difficult to just open the driver door as the one next to handle used to open all doors. Used to keep the child lock on always with my kid.
Old 1st August 2023, 15:07   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
My automatic reaction was to open the driver's door and toggle the mechanical lock button to lock the car. The mechanical lock button also lets you see if the door is locked or not.
How can this happen? If you open driver's door and try to toggle either of the lock buttons on driver side, they just flip back because you are holding driver's door open. Locking happens only when all doors are closed.

Quote:
it would still allow you to lock the door individually.
This is true with individual door switches. They can be locked/unlocked individually. My context is driver switch, which locks/unlocks all doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
may be 1) for unlocking just the driver door while 2) is for unlocking all doors?
I wish it was so but isn't in Kia Sonet HTK+ at least. I always miss not being able to unlock driver door alone. It is really useful when travelling alone. If I have to make a quick stop, I'm forced to unlock full car to get down. It is easy for any miscreant to open any other door and take out things from car in that gap. This is a classic theft possibility.

Quote:
The mechanical lock button also lets you see if the door is locked or not.
I think there is nothing 'mechanical' there. Both switches are electronic.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st August 2023 at 15:25. Reason: Please avoid submitting posts one after the other. Use the EDIT and QUOTE+ functions within 30 minutes of submitting the first post, instead of posting back-to-back.
Old 1st August 2023, 18:03   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchkreddy View Post
How can this happen? If you open driver's door and try to toggle either of the lock buttons on driver side, they just flip back because you are holding driver's door open. Locking happens only when all doors are closed.
It won't. I just verified again and you can indeed open the driver's door when all other doors are closed, flip it to lock position, and lock the door. I'm not sure about HTK+, but mine is GTX+ with the smart key. However, it won't lock if the keys are inside.

Quote:
This is true with individual door switches. They can be locked/unlocked individually. My context is driver switch, which locks/unlocks all doors.

I think there is nothing 'mechanical' there. Both switches are electronic.
I believe the flip lock is mechanical, while the central locking is electronic. In the event of a battery or electronics failure, the flip lock would still allow you to lock the driver's door individually, just like the other doors. But, I am not really sure, and I'm happy to be corrected

Last edited by robincsamuel : 1st August 2023 at 18:17.
robincsamuel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 19:03   #6

Quote:
It won't. I just verified again and you can indeed open the driver's door when all other doors are closed, flip it to lock position, and lock the door. I'm not sure about HTK+, but mine is GTX+ with the smart key. However, it won't lock if the keys are inside.
You are right! I was always checking sitting inside (so the key is inside). Tried by standing outside and the door could be flipped to lock.

Quote:
I believe the flip lock is mechanical, while the central locking is electronic. In the event of a battery or electronics failure, the flip lock would still allow you to lock the driver's door individually, just like the other doors. But, I am not really sure, and I'm happy to be corrected
This sounds convincing - I will disconnect the battery and check once. Thanks for the insights!
tchkreddy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks