Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2023, 12:17   #1
BHPian

Maruti-Suzuki Jimny | Post purchase issues and niggles

I am into 4th week of ownership of the newly launched Maruti Suzuki 5 door Jimny and can never imagine I have to start a new thread on post purchase issues and niggles of most famed and hyped Maruti Suzuki SUV, that is, the Jimny.

A brief account of Maruti Suzuki 5 door Jimny purchase hurdle and successful delivery: I booked the Jimny on 12th January, 2023 when it was unveiled in AutoExpo 2023. After the price reveal and start of delivery, my dealership did not show any interest to deliver the car despite of several interactions, follow-up and referrals. Hence, I decided to book another Jimny from another prominent NEXA dealership of Gurgaon. However, they also could not provide me the delivery as promised before the booking. Bhpian Anuj Purohit helped me immensely at this point, and through his referral I could finally check out a free Jimny Alpha AT Bluish Black colour at the stockyard of Platinum Motocorp NEXA, Manesar. The unit was apparently found to be clean during initial PDI at their stockyard. I gave them go ahead for the formalities. And finally I could drive out the Jimny from their showroom on 28th July, 3 days after the initial PDI at their stockyard.

Issues and niggles:

After we reached the showroom on 28th July, I did a thorough PDI along with their sales person. The car functional checks were found to be completely okay and acceptable. The ICE head unit was also functional, they played music by connecting their phone. And in between the SA received phone calls also. Hence, there was nothing wrong that I could notice. After the paper works and payments, they started installing the accessories and I had opted for an illuminated scuff plate for the front doors. After the formal handover, I did a mistake and did not perform functional check of the electricals and features again.

Caution: I would strongly advise to perform/ repeat the functional checks of the electricals and features of the car before finally driving out the delivered car from the showroom.

It started raining heavily when I drove it out from showroom. The visibility was also very low after sundown, and the usual traffic of Gurgaon becomes complex if it rains. Hence, in order to avoid any distraction, I decided to keep the ICE screen off and not to play music/ FM etc. while driving to home.

After performing the puja in the same evening, switched on the ICE head unit to play music. But there was no sound from the speakers. Tried to explore and change various settings on screen, but nothing worked. Next day, called up the dealership and they suggested to explore the ICE screen and check whether all settings are properly done or not. On Sunday, when I decided to visit their dealership, they informed that dealership is running on low manpower and asked me to visit on weekdays.

Next Saturday, on 6th Aug I visited a nearby NEXA service centre (PASCO, Sector-17-18, Gurgaon). They had no clue how to check Jimny infotainment unit. Since I was insisting, they opened the driver side door trim to check the speaker and suspected that no signal is coming from the head unit. Guided them to open the ICE head unit. But all connectors were found to be properly connected. Then I asked them to open the job card and arrange a warranty replacement of the unit which they denied. This NEXA service centre refused warranty claim saying that it shall be attended by the delivery dealership only. Called up the showroom and found same answer from them that they are on low manpower and I shall visit on weekdays only.

Frustrated, I sent escalation email to all Maruti Suzuki Sales and Services escalation matrix email ids and also to contacts@nexaexpeeience.com. That perhaps worked and the dealership sent service guys to my home to check the head unit. However, as usual they had no clue. They said I have to leave the car at their service centre for few days for check-up and replacement of faulty units, which I refused. My demand was all check-up shall be done in front of my eyes. Visited their service centre on 12th Aug, after another round of escalation communication.

Initially, service centre was trying to avoid touching the Jimny and opening job cards. When I raised my voice and informed that I’ll be compelled to send escalation again; they started attending the car.

MSIL Dealership and Service centre staff and technicians are not trained at all for servicing the Jimny. They are not aware of any ABCD about the Jimny and its' electro-mechanicals and most importantly, the 4x4 hardware and electronics associated. Mine is AT variant and the service centre guys were trying to drive it by engaging 2H-4H-4L lever. They were not able to engage it forcefully and then tried to fiddle with AT lever. I had to ask them to leave driver's seat and drove the car to their service area.

Then service supervisor arranged a fresh unit from Clarion and after installation of this new unit, sound started working for all 4 speakers. Welcome annunciation also worked. However, while checking the phone calls through ICE (both Bluetooth and Android Auto) I found that other party is not able to hear my voice from driver’s seat. I suspected mic related problem. However, the service guys said “Sir, you are new to the vehicle and new head unit has been installed. Please go home and check the settings. It would start working”. Came back to home and tried many times, but no help.

I had to visit service centre once again. The Clarion guys came along with another new ICE head unit. After many combinations, it was detected that the mic module inside the overhead light and mic combined assembly was not working. The service centre did not have any spare of this mic. Hence, I came back home.

Finally, on 21st Aug, they called up and informed the mic module part has been arranged and the service guy visited home and replaced it. Now, it is working fine.

Touchwood, there is no mechanical issue I have observed so far. Hope my beloved Jimny need not to visit service centre again other than periodic maintenance schedule. Bringing home the Jimny was a heart over head decision for me. These 4 weeks were really tough for us.

My observations:

1. The service centre staff are not aware of the features and functions of the Jimny electro-mechanicals yet. Hopefully, in 1-2 years time MSIL service centre technicians will get to break enough hardware to learn servicing Jimny.

2. Warranty replacements are denied by NEXA service centres owned by other dealerships. Hence, servicing MSIL cars anywhere is a myth. You have to remain dependent on the dealership owner service centre only.

3. No response comes from MSIL if you escalate these matters from first communication. The escalations are redirected to the same dealership guys or service centre guys. Things start moving after Reminder-1, Reminder-2 etc.

4. Many owners complained about alignment issues, and Jimny pulling to left or right direction. And those complaints are not yet attended. MSIL service centres are clueless about how to attend or how to diagnose and resolve these mechanical issues reported.

5. Spare availability- Jimny deliveries started from 8th June, 2023. Even after 6 weeks+, Service centres do not have Jimny spare parts. They should either have at least one set in their stock or shall be able to quickly source from regional spares stock centre.

Hope this new Jimny issues and initial niggles thread does not grow beyond single digit post count.
RijuC is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 13:17   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Maruti-Suzuki Jimny | Post purchase issues and niggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
The ICE head unit was also functional, they played music by connecting their phone. After the paper works and payments, they started installing the accessories and I had opted for an illuminated scuff plate for the front doors.
That might be the reason. If it's just the sound and you have not upgraded the speakers, it should not happen.

Quote:
I decided to keep the ICE screen off and not to play music/ FM etc. while driving to home.
By default, it's on the moment you switch on the car, so you switched it off? and were not able to turn it on back?

Quote:
MSIL Dealership and Service centre staff and technicians are not trained at all for servicing the Jimny. They are not aware of any ABCD about the Jimny and its' electro-mechanicals and most importantly, the 4x4 hardware and electronics associated.
That looks like a common issue across dealerships. Maruti should have done better surely.

Quote:
Then service supervisor arranged a fresh unit from Clarion and after installation of this new unit, sound started working for all 4 speakers.
Usually, these things are solid; no audio from the amplifier points to a fault in the amplifier's output stage, which mostly has to do something with a short circuit. Though exceptions are always possible. Was there any smell in the faulty unit while in use?

Quote:
it was detected that the mic module inside the overhead light and mic combined assembly was not working. The service centre did not have any spare of this mic.
That is a shocker; chances of a broken mic that too on a new car and the same car which also had a problematic stereo. Is this something to do with Clarion or the assembly process?

Quote:
2. Warranty replacements are denied by NEXA service centres owned by other dealerships. Hence, servicing MSIL cars anywhere is a myth. You have to remain dependent on the dealership owner service centre only.
That's strange; I think this has something to do with accessories and since the car is so new, dealerships won't have a clue. While we expect such hiccups initially, asking to visit a different dealership is not correct or acceptable. You should escalate this with Maruti separately. After all, the number of dealers and the reach is one primary reason people buy Maruti.

Last edited by Turbanator : 22nd August 2023 at 13:19.
Turbanator is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 13:46   #3
BHPian

re: Maruti-Suzuki Jimny | Post purchase issues and niggles

Initially I suspected the same that while installing the illuminated scuff plates, the accessories guys made something wrong to the electrical circuitry or wiring, fuses etc. Later it was found that these circuits are no way connected.

However, my mistake was not to do any functional check after accessories installation.

There was no speaker replacement/ upgradation. I am okay with these speakers as of now.

Heard from the service guys there was another failure of this Clarion make head unit. Car model is not known to me.

It was surprising that how the mic also failed/ found non-functional.

I switched off the screen from the touch button on ICE bezel. It actually doesn't switch it off entirely. Just shows the screensaver and clock dial.

By the way, I missed to mention in the first post that the ICE head unit functions like settings, Android Auto map etc were working fine. It was also showing the Amazon music track being played. Or the FM tuning and station selection etc. I did the system reset twice. But it didn't help. There was no software upgrade available. Clarion guys also did these checks and found no problem other than no sound output.

I got extremely upset and annoyed to see service centre guys struggling to drive the Jimny and trying to engage 4x4 lever to drive it forward and was searching for clutch. Somehow I could control using curse words.
What MSIL was doing since 12th January to 8th June? Isn't it a good time to train their staff for basic functions, how to drive from service station entry to service bay etc? I am really scared to take my Jimny to service center after experiencing these. Just imagine what they are going to do at washing station of service centre. And all these were experienced in Gurgaon and Manesar where Jimny is being manufactured!

Another issue I would like to highlight that I experienced in service centre. The service guys having no work at hand gathered to see the Jimny, started pulling the rear door hinge cover, the plastic bits on rain gutter front corners and rear door frame area etc. I had to scold them little harshly and asked them not to fiddle with those plastic items. Rain gutter items are perhaps functional parts. Remain cautious that nothing is removed, broken or dislodged from Jimny during service centre visits.

I think other Bhpians also faced similar issues associated with service centre visits. Request them to kindly document their issues and experiences also, so that prospective buyers, owners/ users can avoid these bad experiences/ problems.
RijuC is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 10:17   #4
BHPian

Re: Maruti-Suzuki Jimny | Post purchase issues and niggles

I make an effort not to purchase a product until it has been on the market for two years.

Although the product doesn't become bug-free, the service center does gain knowledge for fixing it.

It is wrong for another dealer not to accept it. Most people—more than 90% of them—don't pursue the situation any further, so these dealers take us for a ride. They won't honor the warranty on their own (this is how they make money), but if they sense that you're going to complain, they'll go above and beyond to make you happy.

You can read my experiences at various dealerships.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...all-towns.html (My experience with after-sales service in small towns)

I'm pleased that your problems have been rectified because Jimmy is a terrific vehicle mechanically and will make you smile a lot. Happy driving!
dicor is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 10:18   #5
BHPian

I think the Maruti service technicians have not been trained properly for the Jimny. During my first service, the technician did not even know how to check the ATF fluid level or that such a thing existed. They were quite content to pass their time and when I asked him to check the air filter which hardly takes one minute, the response was not required in first service. They do not understand that Jimny is a off roader and that it might have ventured in to the sand dunes. They were content to wash the top body without any under body chassis cleaning. They are overburdened with too many cars piling up for service.
murlidar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 12:40   #6
BHPian

Fortunately, you bought a Maruti. The escalation mails do work here. Although, it is very disheartening to see a new vehicle having such niggles, but imagine if it would have been a VAG or Jeep or any other notorious brand. You would have been totally on the mercy of dealer.

Anyways, all's well that ends well.
low_rider is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 12:46   #7
BHPian

Hi Riju

I'm glad your issues are sorted out. Wish you a great driving experience in the future with the Jimny.

An incident like this does in a brand new vehicle really disturbs your peace of mind and gives you unnecessary stress. We don't pay this big amount of money to just take stress. It's high time the manufacturers make sure that they instill confidence in the customer that everything will be taken care off if something does go wrong.

For that I have to give it to Mahindra. I bought a new Scorpio Non CRDE (The life Changer for Mahindra) in 2003 just one year after it's launch. They used to have free service camps where Mahindra Engineers would be present to take feedback and resolve any issues. At one such camp just 3 months of taking delivery a Mahindra Engineer told me next time you are about to take the Scorpio to the Mountains talk to me and we will get the Brake Booster changed. I thought why should I do something in a new vehicle. A month later my Brake booster failed near Rohtang Pass in Himachal. Apparently they knew it was a faulty part and without doing a recall unofficially wanted to replace it. Anyways I called up the same engineer at 10.30pm in the night from Manali and asked him what to do. He told me to take the vehicle somehow till Kullu. Next day I reached Kullu and they had sent a New Brake Booster, New Master Cylinder and a Mechanic to Kullu from Mandi. Everything was replaced under warranty and they did not even ask me money for the Brake Oil. I think support like that is what made Mahindra so successful now even though their SUVs have had lots of issues.

I own a Original Grand Vitara 2.4L 2012. I was thinking of upgrading it to the Jimny or the New Grand Vitara 4WD. My Grand Vitara is still road worthy till 2027 in Delhi-NCR. I was already thinking that I should wait for a year or two before I upgrade for things to stabilize for these 2 new vehicles. This post has made me sure of this decision.

Styler
Styler is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 20:12   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicor View Post
I make an effort not to purchase a product until it has been on the market for two years.

Although the product doesn't become bug-free, the service center does gain knowledge for fixing it.
Exactly my way of thinking. Though it is very exciting to own one of the very first of a new model on road, I hold my horse and wait.

Not only are bugs sorted out, but spares and service knowledge become available.

I cannot imagine 'pre-booking' a car without even seeing/ test driving, or without knowing the price, but that seems to be the rage these days !
SnakemanJohny is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 12:13   #9
BHPian

I've had problems with some of the authorized accessories supplied with Jimny, hopefully this would help other potential buyers avoid the problems I faced.

Many of the accessories I selected was not available with the vehicle and post sales I didn't get any responses on the status of the same. Finally, I zeroed in on the front parking sensor and asked them to install the same. I find it very useful in my other cars when parallel parking. But the implementation by Maruti left me unimpressed. First off, unlike the rear parking sensor this is a standalone screen that is pasted on the already small dashboard. They had to put it at the far end of the passenger side. And the sensor is wired with the brake so as soon as you press the brake it starts sensing and sounding the alert. The day after installing there it was raining and I was unable to drive the car. Each time I apply the brake the sensor starts screaming. It is impossible to drive the car in busy traffic or when it is raining since each time you tap the brake the warning beep is sounded. There is a switch at the back that is supposed to mute the sound but it doesn't work, in either position there is sound and beep.

Finally I took the vehicle back to Maruti and they have disconnected it for now. The technicians are not exactly sure how it is supposed to work and seems like they only had one piece in their stock. So now waiting to see if this is by design or there is something defective in the unit that was given to me. I'd recommend everyone to avoid going for the front parking sensors for Jimny.
astrodex is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 09:42   #10
BHPian

This is just to put on record (as so many others have also done) about the super mess at NEXA.

I recently took my Jimny for it's first service to NEXA, GMS Road, Dehradun.

1. There is no exclusive service area for NEXA vehicles. All MSIL cars, including their new Carry are serviced at one place.

Maruti-Suzuki Jimny | Post purchase issues and niggles-img_20230906_085934224.jpg

2. Their Tablets were not working, so the SA had to make the service/job order card by hand (nice to see a hand written note after a long time)

Maruti-Suzuki Jimny | Post purchase issues and niggles-img_20230906_092133117.jpg

3. There were a lot of staff - all scurrying about or hanging around - I really couldn't make out what they were doing - poor management of personnel. It's only later that I realised (after 2.5 hrs and when my Jimny had been washed and ready to roll out) that they were all going to get busy with moving cars around because there is so little space and so many cars.

Maruti-Suzuki Jimny | Post purchase issues and niggles-img_20230906_111145743.jpg

4. Since this was the 1st service, I cannot comment on how they would have dealt with a proper service.

Maruti-Suzuki Jimny | Post purchase issues and niggles-img_20230906_111135335.jpg
dileep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2023, 00:03   #11
RDS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodex View Post

Each time I apply the brake the sensor starts screaming. It is impossible to drive the car in busy traffic or when it is raining since each time you tap the brake the warning beep is sounded. There is a switch at the back that is supposed to mute the sound but it doesn't work, in either position there is sound and beep.

Finally I took the vehicle back to Maruti and they have disconnected it for now. The technicians are not exactly sure how it is supposed to work and seems like they only had one piece in their stock. So now waiting to see if this is by design or there is something defective in the unit that was given to me. I'd recommend everyone to avoid going for the front parking sensors for Jimny.

I am planning to get this.
Did you get it working later? Was it a sensor issue?

Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 10:13   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDS View Post
I am planning to get this.
Did you get it working later? Was it a sensor issue?
Thanks
I won't recommend it, they replaced it and it still beeps a lot of time unnecessarily. It is a design issue and not a sensor one, its always on and each time it senses something it beeps. If it is raining, the thing constantly buzzes when it rains. The only thing they fixed is that now when I switch the button behind, it switches off completely. I have kept it switched off ever since and am not using it. I'd recommend not getting it.
astrodex is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 09:46   #13
BHPian

I had a problem with the head unit disconnecting the USB port randomly. If I put in a USB pen drive with music (or videos) on, after some time it would randomly disconnect and connect the device. Yesterday after suspecting an issue with the ICE unit, I brought it to Nexa Yelahanka. They check the cable to the USB port and found it connected well. The only other thing to do was to check the same cable on the ICE side. The mechanic who was attending was not sure how to pull the ICE unit out... He brought screwdriver and tried to pry the plastic bar below the head unit. I told him to be careful because I didn't want scratches on a new vehicle. Told him the correct way is to use plastic pry tools (which I think the service center should have). Anyway, without scratching he removed it and was able to access the head unit by removing 2 screws. An accessory guy helped him to pull out the head unit and he found that the USB cable connected to the head unit was a bit loose. He pushed back the cable, reinstalled the unit and I tested it for about 15 minutes - there was no disconnection.
For information sake, the service manager told me that if the problem was there, they would check whether the same thing is happening on a demo vehicle, put the unit on the demo vehicle and check. Videos of the issue need to be sent to the Clarion team at Maruti and if valid, they will send a new unit within 2 weeks.
By the way note that even if you have taken the 5 year extended warranty, components like the ICE are only valid for 2 years.
motorguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 10:51   #14
BHPian

I'm cross referencing my post about poor service at NEXA, GMS Road, Dehradun that I put on the Jimny Review thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5708831 (Maruti Jimny Review)

I wrote an email to Regional Service Manager - Rajkumar and Zonal Service Head - Kapil Sharma

Maruti-Suzuki Jimny | Post purchase issues and niggles-screenshot-20240201-10.42.47-am.png

Then got frantic calls within an hour from the Service Advisor and the Works Manager of the workshop apologising and assuring that the next time I come for the 10000km service things would be better.
dileep is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks