Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2023, 09:11   #1
BHPian

Seat fabric stitches coming off in a 4-year old Hyundai Venue

Recently I encountered couple of strange issues with my Venue.

1. Right side high beam wouldn’t work after driving with low beam on for few minutes.

2. Rear seat fabric stitching started coming off.

I took my car to Kun Hyundai Ambattur on 7th Aug 2023, where they duly checked the first issue by taking a short test drive in my presence and acknowledged the issue. As I have taken extended warranty, they agreed to change it in warranty. The warranty person confirmed on raising for approval and the process should be done in 1 to 2 days, I had requested to speed up the process as I wanted this to done in the week of 7th Aug as I took personal time off. I didn’t get any call that week, I left it as the issue was manageable, but till yesterday I didn’t get any call from them. I got irritated and called erstwhile service manager Mr Padmanabhan who recently moved to Kun BYD. He is very close to me as all my services were under his supervision, he immediately ensured the service advisor call me. I was informed the warranty approval was received only day before yesterday, I can come and change the headlight. I told will try to come during this weekend. So I hope this should be closed without any issues.

Now comes the strange 2nd issue, rear seat fabric stitching is coming off. I raised this point as well when I went, they asked me if I have any pets or carried any goods, I responded a big No. I was informed this can’t be covered under warranty. I asked them to check with Hyundai but the response I got yesterday was negative. This is not acceptable from Hyundai, within 4 years of ownership I am not sure how come stitches can come off just like that. Now I need to take the headache of looking at options to sort something which is of no fault of mine. I have enclosed the pictures FYR.
Attached Thumbnails
Seat fabric stitches coming off in a 4-year old Hyundai Venue-img_2873.jpeg  

Seat fabric stitches coming off in a 4-year old Hyundai Venue-img_2874.jpeg  

vvivek85 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2023, 09:32   #2
BHPian

re: Seat fabric stitches coming off in a 4-year old Hyundai Venue

If it was 4 months then I would consider this as a manufacturing defect, but 4 years is a fairly long time to expect seat cover stitches to be covered under warranty.

Seats are a wear and tear item like say the great knob. While I expect these things to last a long time with normal usage, I wouldn't believe this was any reason to demand a warranty replacement after 4 years.
WorkingGuru is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2023, 09:52   #3
BHPian

re: Seat fabric stitches coming off in a 4-year old Hyundai Venue

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post

Seats are a wear and tear item like say the great knob.
I understand on the wear and tear part, but we as family are not heavy users and I don’t have a toddler as well. So the basic expectation is for the seats to last long that too from a brand of Hyundai’s stature. I am with Hyundai brand for close to 10 years now, this was least expected from them.
vvivek85 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2023, 10:19   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Seat fabric stitches coming off in a 4-year old Hyundai Venue

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
If it was 4 months then I would consider this as a manufacturing defect, but 4 years is a fairly long time to expect seat cover stitches to be covered under warranty.
I'd disagree. Unless it is an Ola cab with 200,000 km on the odo and 3000 rough-use passengers on the rear seat every year, this is rather unacceptable. I have never owned a car whose stitches have come off like this, not even after 8 - 10 years of ownership.

@ Vivek, this is unfortunate, but since Hyundai is stubbornly refusing to fix the manufacturing defect, I'd suggest getting it repaired by a competent seat upholstery guy in your city.

Am noticing a lot of cost-cutting in recent Hyundai models which only shows up after 3 - 5 years of ownership. This is yet another case of premature wear & tear.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 16:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Its the first time I have seen this.

The dealer is brushing it off. A tear/cut is different from the stitch coming off which again different from the fabric failing(this case) in which the stitches are still in place but the fabric threads have failed. It could be due to insufficient overlap during stitching too.

I would suggest to contact Hyundai support directly with the necessary pics and let us know what happens.
Old 7th September 2023, 16:34   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post

1. Right side high beam wouldn’t work after driving with low beam on for few minutes.

2. Rear seat fabric stitching started coming off.

I took my car to Kun Hyundai Ambattur on 7th Aug 2023, where they duly checked the first issue by taking a short test drive in my presence and acknowledged the issue. As I have taken extended warranty, they agreed to change it in warranty. The warranty person confirmed on raising for approval and the process should be done in 1 to 2 days, I had requested to speed up the process as I wanted this to done in the week of 7th Aug as I took personal time off. I didn’t get any call that week, I left it as the issue was manageable, but till yesterday I didn’t get any call from them. I got irritated and called erstwhile service manager Mr Padmanabhan who recently moved to Kun BYD. He is very close to me as all my services were under his supervision, he immediately ensured the service advisor call me. I was informed the warranty approval was received only day before yesterday, I can come and change the headlight. I told will try to come during this weekend. So I hope this should be closed without any issues.
Regarding your issue 1, what exactly is the reason for the issue and what they are replacing under warranty? I thought it can be a simple issue where a bulb needing replacement.

Regarding your issue 2, I also suggest to take it to an upholstery shop to get it corrected as it can aggravate and create further damage to your seats.

Cheers,
narayanang76
Old 7th September 2023, 18:08   #7
BHPian

Update

My first issue got resolved under warranty, now the high beam is working fine.

My second issue, when I went for headlight replacement Mr Padmanabhan stated he would check with Hyundai. But till date no response from him. I didn’t want to wait further and complicate it, as GTO suggested went to upholstery guy and sorted it. It cost me ₹ 200.
Attached Thumbnails
Seat fabric stitches coming off in a 4-year old Hyundai Venue-img_2929.jpeg  

vvivek85 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks