Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2023, 15:35   #1

Car broke down | ECU failure?

Recently while going to his office in pune, my dad experienced a catastrophic failure in his Sail-UVa. The car started bogging and eventually came to a complete halt with all instument cluster getting blank (0 fuel, 0 odo and so on..). He works in Nokia Telecom services and so he has a very busy schedule. He called for towing service to The Motor Works, Pune and went to his office to attend a meeting via Ola.

After a few hours, the mechanic told him that the ECM was shorted and needed replacement costing INR. 25665. They are not that knowledgeable and trustworthy as before this, they quoted him 15000 for replacing the security system (third party system installed by dealer), when it was a simple case of the keyfob's battery dying which I found while testing things myself .

Now, my dad is in a dilemma as he does not want to spend any more on that vehicle and wants to get rid of it since we bought a XL6 Alpha+ few months ago. I'm keeping him from selling the Chevy since I want to take it over when I start earning (few months). I pursuaded him to daily the XL6 as it has better mileage but he denies to do so since he wants to keep it new ..
Here are some pictures which he (the mechanic) sent:

Car broke down | ECU failure?-whatsapp-image-20230830-14.48.11.jpg

Car broke down | ECU failure?-whatsapp-image-20230830-14.48.45.jpg

Car broke down | ECU failure?-whatsapp-image-20230830-14.48.46.jpg

Car broke down | ECU failure?-whatsapp-image-20230830-14.49.33.jpg

Sicne he is really busy with his work, he is never able to visit and observe the work done. Also, the workshop is in pune and our permanent home is about 150+km away, so even I cant visit. I've a few queries and would love to hear your opinion on it:
  • Does the ECM look shorted/The experience explained by my dad point to ECM failure?
  • Should we go ahead with repairs? The car is otherwise in good shape.
  • Is 25665 a valid price?
  • Are there any other trustworthy repair shops near Pune, Kalyani Nagar
ManualMaestro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 20:49   #2
BHPian

re: Car broke down | ECU failure?

A quick search online shows Chevrolet (Beat) ECM priced at 31k. I think there may be a possibility of it being repaired. If yes check the wiring also if a short is the culprit.

Hope a Pune based member can share garage options in Pune.

All the best!
Old 30th August 2023, 20:55   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Car broke down | ECU failure?

Try getting a second opinion; especially with regards to repair options. For instance this garage (Independent Garage - The Mechanix Automotive (Pune)) is a bhpian run place. You could reach out to @noopster and @moralfibre (among others) for feedback who have vouched for the place.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks