Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2023, 18:21   #1

Damaged my new car's paint whilst removing the sindoor (kumkum) from the puja

Hi,

I bought my first new car in Australia and my parents are visiting who decided to apply Sindoor (Kumkum) while doing the puja.

That left a yellow stain which I tried to remove by using a toothpaste and toothbrush. Now I know that wasn’t a smart idea but I guess I’m just too dumb to have understood that.

Now the Kumkum mark is gone but there’s a dull smudge like thing around the spot. This is a brand new white corolla cross and I’m looking for advice on what should I do.

Will this be fixed by getting the car polished and waxed? It costs around 350-400 AUD here. Will simply waxing be enough? Or have I caused more severe damage to my first and brand new car’s paint with my sheer foolishness!!

Please have a look at the pictures and advise.
Attached Thumbnails
Damaged my new car's paint whilst removing the sindoor (kumkum) from the puja-img_4871.jpeg  

Damaged my new car's paint whilst removing the sindoor (kumkum) from the puja-img_4870.jpeg  

Damaged my new car's paint whilst removing the sindoor (kumkum) from the puja-img_4867.jpeg  

Damaged my new car's paint whilst removing the sindoor (kumkum) from the puja-img_4866.jpeg  

Damaged my new car's paint whilst removing the sindoor (kumkum) from the puja-img_4869.jpeg  

Vick2002 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 19:35   #2
BHPian

re: Damaged my new car's paint whilst removing the sindoor (kumkum) from the puja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vick2002 View Post
Now the Kumkum mark is gone but there’s a dull smudge like thing around the spot. This is a brand new white corolla cross and I’m looking for advice on what should I do.
Toothpaste and toothbrush together act like a very coarse compound, and the damage does not appear to be very severe. You can use Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound and Meguiar’s Ultimate Polish (optional) to fix it. First, buff the smudge with the compound until it disappears. Then, apply the polish for finishing and seal the newly exposed clear coat layer with your preferred wax or sealant.

Looks like a simple touch-up job for a detailer but definitely not worth 350-400 AUD.

Last edited by Venky03 : 31st August 2023 at 19:38.
Venky03 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 19:48   #3
BHPian

re: Damaged my new car's paint whilst removing the sindoor (kumkum) from the puja

Although I can’t see the smudge marks on the pics. But a suggestion, Try to wipe the smudge area with microfiber and diluted (20-30%) rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol, possibly that will remove it, before you decide to go for complete detailing.
Old 31st August 2023, 20:06   #4
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Will this be fixed by getting the car polished and waxed? It costs around 350-400 AUD here. Will simply waxing be enough?
Simple waxing is not likely to fix it. Needs detailing with a good cutting compound. Take it to an experienced detailer and they should be able to sort you out, might as well get paint sealant too while at it since this is a brand new car. Anymore DIYs may make a bad situation worse, better go with an expert.
ike is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 20:21   #5

Is it a good idea to get a new car polished and waxed? I assume that’s what’s meant by detailing (excuse my lack of knowledge).

Is it something which I should have gotten anyway after purchasing or should I wait for a few months and then get it done?

Really not looking to do anything on my own after this recent misadventure :(

Yeah the damage is not very visible but surely the shine is gone in the area where I used toothpaste. It looks odd.
Old 2nd September 2023, 11:01   #6
BHPian

You can get a new car waxed and polished - no harm at all! But I’d suggest you get it done in a few months, that way, the car will be back to looking new and you’ll also get rid of small scratches you may pick up along the way.

If the kumkum is not really visible, let it be for now and polish in a few months! Who knows, the kumkum may bring luck your way and keep the evil eyes away!
flipflop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 15:35   #7
Team-BHP Support

Re: Damaged my new car's paint whilst removing the sindoor (kumkum) from the puja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venky03 View Post
Toothpaste and toothbrush together act like a very coarse compound
Yup... effectively an abrasive compound.

Choose your poison:
Damaged my new car's paint whilst removing the sindoor (kumkum) from the puja-toothpast-abraisiveness-list.png
Source
Rehaan is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 15:57   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Damaged my new car's paint whilst removing the sindoor (kumkum) from the puja

I suggest you use Meguiars ultimate polish and some elbow grease with a microfiber had pad or Meguiar's foam applicator. That should be sufficient to bring back the luster in that area of the paint.
Old 8th September 2023, 16:56   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I bought my first new car in Australia and my parents are visiting who decided to apply Sindoor (Kumkum) while doing the puja.
Firstly, congratulations on your first new car!

Unfortunately the smudge marks are clearly visible from your pic.

The Kumkum is mostly a chemical powder and the toothpaste wouldn't have removed all chemicals from your clearcoat/paint surface. So you need to decontaminate that surface first.

Quote:
Is it a good idea to get a new car polished and waxed? I assume that’s what’s meant by detailing (excuse my lack of knowledge).

Really not looking to do anything on my own after this recent misadventure :(
I suggest take it to a professional detailer, let them assess and suggest the best options. And if possible, get a coating done alongside. Its a new car anyways, it will help in the long term paint maintenance and looks of your loving vehicle.

cheers,
narayanang76
Old 22nd September 2023, 13:51   #10
BHPian

It is better to get a detailer involved, this needs some sanding, compounding and polishing to ensure a uniform shine across the impacted panel, this will lead to sanding a few microns of clear coat/paint, but it is not an issue, if you are worried about reduced paint thickness post sanding, you can get a ceramic coating done that will act as a repellent for any pollutants like bird droppings, acid rain, swirl marks etc

Note: Ceramic coating works only if one is careful with maintenance (never dry wipe, never use excessive force while drying using cloth after a wash, use a good car shampoo while washing to losen the pollutants on the surface)
Old 22nd September 2023, 14:04   #11
BHPian

Before doing anything, spray some WD40, and wait for a few minutes, then clean.
Old 22nd September 2023, 15:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

Whatever you decide to do, do it after one month minimum. There's a very good chance you will forget about it and not even notice the smudge after a while. It might also fade into the paint better.

This applies to all kinds of cosmetic damage. Wait and see how much it bothers you before you spend money to fix it.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 16:02   #13
BHPian

Congratulations on your new car!

As a rule, I do not allow anybody to apply any kind of sindhoor or sandal on my vehicles. For the puja, I take the keys and keep it in front of the Deity and that's it. At the most, I keep lemons under the tyres and do the customary driving over the lemons.

I would refrain from anything on the paint these days since one does not know what goes into them.

Cheers!
Krish
krishsreedharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2023, 00:02   #14
BHPian

Congratulations on the new car! The first thing to remember is that do not let the paint situation take away the joy of it. Bask in it, for your first-owned automobile will stay in your heart for life.

Coming to the paint fade, try the tried-and-tested Meguiars Ultimate Compound, followed by Ultimate Polish. These products are designed for use by both professionals and non-professionals alike. Use them exactly as they mention in the instructions, right down to the application strokes. Start with compound, then polish, and then follow it up with two wax coats. First, go with carnauba, and then follow it up with a wax with sealing capabilities, such as ceramic wax. If you wish, you can top it with a good ceramic spray.

Although it is a spot that is affected, follow the procedure for the entire panel to ensure a uniform shine, although you may use the compound only for the affected section. The paint fade does not seem too intense to warrant buffing machines for the process. You may use a standard circular sponge and manual application by hand while following instructions.

In the future, for such marks, wipe clean with a dry cloth first. Then, use a rinseless car wash spray for initial cleaning. Then, use any foaming car shampoo to soak the section for a minute before rinsing it. In most cases, following this routine once every week causes the stain to fade away gradually.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks