Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2023, 16:35   #1

Hyundai Sonata | Overheating & Turbocharger problems

Reviving this thread as I need advice...

I own a Hyundai Sonata 2010 Transform, it has done approx 1.85 Lakh Kms, Timing Belt and Bearings changed. I had dyno'd the car at RD Bangalore in 2014 at about 80K Kms and installed the Dual Channel Dieseltronic and it has been running amazingly all these years with no issue.

Fast Forward to the past 3 months, I start having Temp rise issues and then go ahead and do a temperature sensor, Radiator Cap, Thermostat replacement. Heating Problem still persists.

Next I flush the radiator & have it chemical washed too, looks brand new, although the lower fins have gotten worn out here and there, Heating Problem Still persists.

Next I go the heavy step and have the Water Pump checked and Water pump Gasket replaced, Heating Problem Still persists.

Though it is to be noted, that whenever the heating problem shows up, the car has to be driven for almost 2 hours and only then it shows up, when the temperature starts rising, I check the engine compartment to see the A/C fan running and the coolant tank full to the brim and overflow pipe is tossing coolant out, a few times I even noticed bubbling (like its boiling) in the coolant tank and a few times, as well as bubbling froth coming out when the radiator cap was removed and car idled. There was no oil content or anything else present in the froth from the radiator itself

From the start of this heating issue, I have removed the DieselTronic Box and Kept the vehicle Stock.

Also, all through these issues it was scanned at the dealership and the were no errors except for a neutral switch error which it has shown even earlier but never showed any problem and the vehicle drove fine. So, After taking a lot of advice from a lot of people we went one by one as written above to sort this issue out, I even went the extra mile to have the Fan Control Module replaced incase it was that issue but still heating issue crops up.

This along with advise from various people, led me to finally rule out take the car in to replace the Head Gasket at a recommended engine workshop in town who specialize in pure engine work, after the Head Gasket was replaced, I drove it for above 1200 Kms and I see temperature rising again, it was certainly saddening to see this again

This time it rose above the half mark, it would have barely driven about 20 Kms without the AC being on, and about 2 mins above the half mark she went to a dead stop, I tried cranking it a few times, but even though the crank was there, it refused to start.

Long story short, I have it towed on a flatbed to the showroom, and the showroom guys suspect its engine failure and what not, and they say we would have to open it up completely, I even ask for a compression test but they don't seem to have it, I decide to take the car home and ask the engine workshop technicians to come take a look at it as they have given me warranty on the engine work, they show up after two days and upon investigating the problem, find the turbo core has been damaged and hence blocked the exhaust and that is the reason it wont start, they inform me that it has to be changed. The Sonata Transform runs a Garrett Turbo and they have stopped manufacturing this model.

I proceed to have the Turbo + Manifold + Egr removed at home, they diassemble the turbo and it seems the turbo shaft has broken and that is what caused the turbo to fail, the car is kept at home for about a month until I find a guy who has been in the turbo repairs business for a long time, he advises to acquire a J-Rone Turbo Core against a TLC Brazil, anyway I send it to him for repairs and when I go to collect it, I take along with the EGR, Catalytic Converter & Rear Mufflers, the turbo core work is done and he completes the cleaning in two hours and returns the turbo with a 1 year warranty clause.

The turbo intercooler and its hoses are chemical washed and cleaned as it had a lot of oil kickback into it due to the turbo failure, and then everything is assembled back.

After my guys fit this back on, the new problem is that the turbo boost does not kick in around 1.5-2 RPM, which it used to, and there seems to be no turbo whistle as its not functioning the way it should, the turbo kicks in randomly and sometimes while I gear down and accelerate the car is revving into 2 and 3 rpm but the speed is just around 40-60, now when this happens at times if I press the clutch and accelerate or shift to neutral and floor the accelerator I hear the default blow off valve kick in and after that the turbo works, but otherwise the turbo is just not kicking in the way it should.

I then proceed to take the car to the turbo repair guy and he adjusts the wastegate actuator anti clockwise, basically the lesser the thread on the top of the wastegate nut the more the boost, and if the opposite side the lesser the boost.

He adjusts it about three times, upon adjusting it first, when started and in neutral, upon acceleration the RPM only comes to about 3K and not more, then he adjusts it again and now we are seeing it pass 4.5 and come just near 5K RPM, mind you the RPM meter for the Sonata Transform is 6000 RPM but it never goes full 6000RPM, while he does these adjustments, there is no black smoke from the exhaust as well. Now that he's done the adjustment the 3rd time, its at 5K RPM on full acceleration while on neutral, he proceeds to say lets drive it and see, Upon driving it, I see the car boost now kicking in, we drive it up and down a stretch of 12 kms about two to three times, he says its fine and that this is all that can be done on the turbo and nothing else can be adjusted, I decide it could be fine and bring it back home.

The next day, we are back at the turbo not kicking in when it should, and also when I accelerate I can hear the sound of water sloshing in the dash, could this be the coolant?, I decide to call my engine mechanic and he recommends I take it back to the turbo guy until it is repaired perfectly, he asks if it had overheated and I said it went above the half mark just once when the turbo failed first, but ever since it has been fit back and driven 1200Kms it has not overheated, during the 1200Kms of driving I checked multiple times to see if the coolant expansion tank topped out or boiled but no such thing after the head gasket work, there were times when I check the next morning and the suction/expansion of the coolant reservoir has happened how it should happen.

Now the only thing I think of is showing it back to the Dealership, so I go ahead with that and they scan the car, It shows the neutral switch error and an under boost error, they drive it and first hand witness the issue I am having, the showroom head is in charge of the car and they even experience an overheat on one test drive, but they are hesitant to touch the turbo and say they will adjust it only in my presence as they have not done the work, luckily there is another sonata in the showroom so they adjust the nut/length of the wastegate actuator to the setting of that car, they put everything back together and then we drive the car, the car seems to be accelerating upward to about 80-90 in the RPM range of 2500-3000 K RPM but with no turbo whistle/turbo support and luckily the car is not getting stuck in the 20-40-50 KM speed area while the RPM drives upward, but there is still no turbo kick-in, we drive a 6KM stretch one way and on the way back, when I start accelerating the turbo kicks in this time, at the end of the stretch when I downshift, and accelerate no turbo function and just a slow dull gradual climb into 60-70.

So now, I am just not sure what to do next, I am asking the engine guys to have a look at this in the coming days and am even thinking of having the turbo taken off and sent to re-calibrate/ check if it was done properly at first etc. I hear that it can be calibrated and tested on a machine, is this info correct? Is there anyone who specializes in turbo work/ calibration in the south?

I am open to options in Kerala, Bangalore and Chennai. Someone please advice on what could be causing this issue. I do not know what to do now!!!!

Also, please see relevant pics attached of damaged turbo, new turbo core and current nut adjustment of wastegate taken two days ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Sonata | Overheating & Turbocharger problems-whatsapp-image-20230905-4.26.07-pm.jpeg  

Hyundai Sonata | Overheating & Turbocharger problems-whatsapp-image-20230905-4.26.09-pm.jpeg  

Hyundai Sonata | Overheating & Turbocharger problems-whatsapp-image-20230905-4.26.29-pm.jpeg  

Hyundai Sonata | Overheating & Turbocharger problems-whatsapp-image-20230905-4.26.30-pm-1.jpeg  

Hyundai Sonata | Overheating & Turbocharger problems-whatsapp-image-20230905-4.26.30-pm.jpeg  

_jkuruvilla is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 11:34   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Sonata | Overheating & Turbocharger problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by _jkuruvilla View Post
...the turbo boost does not kick in around 1.5-2 RPM, which it used to, and there seems to be no turbo whistle...
The next day, we are back at the turbo not kicking in when it should...
...no turbo function and just a slow dull gradual climb into 60-70.
This seems to be a problem with the turbo itself. Not related to the waste gate, but more likely to be related to the rotor not being able to spin up freely (either lack of lubrication or jammed bearings due to some other cause). Would a new turbo be economically unsuitable?

However, I am a little curious regarding the overheating issue. Turbo failures don't overheat engines after 2 hours of driving. The car has done 1.85L km, so I am guessing there would have been a decent amount of carbon build-up. What was the condition of the cylinder head and the piston crowns when the head was opened to change the gasket? Was EGR cleaning performed? And did you get around to checking the cylinder compression finally?
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 11:48   #3
Team-BHP Support

Hey Jobo, This seems to be a complex and series of repairs you have done. The only way to reach out to a competent one stop workshop either dealer or outside and do a step by step check and fix. Here in Bangalore Carmed is a good name to work with, you can find them on google and try reaching out to them.

Side note - Old Hyundais are expensive and complex to maintain, ideally you should just let it go and move on to something new if that is an option.
Old 10th September 2023, 18:46   #4
BHPian

I would advise replacing the whole turbocharger unit from a salvage car if possible. Looks like the repair to the turbo is not working properly. That seems to be the most plausible explanation under the circumstances.
MinivanDriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 19:08   #5
BHPian

Quote:
I am open to options in Kerala, Bangalore and Chennai. Someone please advice on what could be causing this issue. I do not know what to do now!!!!
What I understood from the above is this:
1) Sloshing sound in dash
2) Coolant bubbling

The above are symptoms of air in the coolant system. Air can cause poor coolant circulation and hence can cause the engine and coolant to overheat. I would suggest you to do something called “coolant bleeding.” Any mechanic worth his salt can do it so it shouldn’t be an issue.

The turbo failure could be because of age. It’s a high RPM mechanical part and prone to wear and tear. Now the turbo not engaging could be because of two reasons:
1) The calibration is not done correctly.
2) This model and make of turbo isn’t compatible with your car.

I would suggest you to get in touch with Hyundai India directly and ask them for info on the turbocharger and the exact calibration procedure. Social media should do the trick if official channels fails.

Cheers!
true_sedan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 00:51   #6

Quote:
Reviving this thread as I need advice...
Thankyou for sharing your experiences till now, it would be interesting to know the status of your car. I hope it is sorted out, please update.
Old 2nd December 2023, 21:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

best is to use original turbocharger

https://crdi.online/products/new-gar...ger-2823127460

https://www.amazon.com/Turbocharger-.../dp/B0CF1GBYBG

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...068406378.html

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...yAdapt=glo2usa

share your VIN number with the above sites and my guess is that they might work - you can search for other part numbers
Old 6th February 2024, 12:35   #8

Update after a few months, sorry I have been travelling extensively and can now sit down to pen an update on this,

So after checking off everything one by one, it narrowed down the the turbo itself, the core I had replaced it with is definitely the problem causer, now Garrett does not have the OEM core available, hence began the hunt to acquire a new turbo itself as I do not intend to sell the Sonata as it has a lot of sentimental value.

I looked high and low in India and there was one piece available for a whopping 1.25 Lakh + GST extra. I obviously decided that I would not buy it from India, and hence tapped other sources, I finally landed up finding the exact same model for the Sonata/Tucson in Germany, I went ahead and made sure everything matched before I made the purchase. I landed up spending approx. 55,000 INR for the brand new turbo from Garrett, completed with 2 year warranty, if I have any issues, I just need to get the turbo back to them and they would send it to Garrett.

It as now been fitted onto the car for about 10 days and she is back to peak performance, no heating issues, no power lag issues and the entire running itself is super smooth, even though this took time, I think it turned out right and everything fell into place.

Thank you dear readers and to all of you who extended advice and a helping hand.. Cheers
_jkuruvilla is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks