Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2023, 22:50   #1

Tata Tiago - Rs 60,000 quote for front wiring harness replacement! Is this legit?

Issue : While driving the car, it suddenly started showing the yellow exclamation, the red exclamation, the ABS and 'F' at the same time. Parked the car on the side to shut down and restart. Because I had seen just the yellow exclamation previously a few times, I thought a restart would help like it did last few times. This time it did not. Panicked, called SA and he advised to get the battery replaced. Got the battery replaced, still the car broke down while coming back from workshop. Towed it back to workshop and after a few days, was advised that the front wiring Harness needs to be replaced. But they did some tweaking, made the car to run and advised that 90% chance that the front wiring harness will need a replacement. Issue reoccurred after 15-20 days, now they saying that there are two parts of the front wiring harness and together it will cost around 50-60k!

Some old Context : Bought in 2017, I had issues with the very first free Service at Workshop. The gearbox ( Where you have the Lever for Parking/Neutral ) panel was opened, AC stopped working. No plausible explanation provided. They just replaced the panel and fixed the AC. I had always feared that they had replaced some genuine parts.

Question : My car has ran just 20,000+KM in 6 years. There are no rat bite damage. Is it genuinely possible for such a less driven car to get such an expensive part getting damaged? Should I relly pay Rs 60,000/- to fix a Rs 6,50,000 car? What are the alternatives?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago - Rs 60,000 quote for front wiring harness replacement! Is this legit?-capture.png  

ishaan_kone is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 1st November 2023, 11:07   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Tiago - Rs 60,000 quote for front wiring harness replacement! Is this legit?

Your car is out of warranty and will be 7-years old soon. What you need is a good independent garage. The repairs will most likely be done at a fraction of the cost. I have seen quotes of 50k from authorised workshops for my cars, but gotten the car repaired from outside for 10 - 15k.

Look through the Team-BHP Directory for recommended garages in Kolkata.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st November 2023, 12:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago - Rs 60,000 quote for front wiring harness replacement! Is this legit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishaan_kone View Post
......now they saying that there are two parts of the front wiring harness and together it will cost around 50-60k!
You can cross check the cost of the wiring harness using the following link. My guess is most likely it will be in the region of 50-60k as told to you by the service center:

https://oriparts.com/3/151/1158/298338

Whether to spend that much in an authorized service center or explore alternatives via an independent garage is up to you.

Another option is to visit a different authorized service center and get a 2nd opinion on the issues in your car - whether they will be solved by replacing the wiring harness, or if the root cause is something else altogether.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 1st November 2023 at 12:40.
comfortablynumb is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2023, 20:33   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

First of all you need to verify their diagnosis. Are there visual clues that warrant the replacement. If not, it will need a full OBD check with an analyser that can read manufacturer and model specific codes as well. That will give you an idea where the problem is. There are no error codes that will tell a mechanic to rip and replace the wiring harness.

As other suggested, find a competent car electrician and see what he/she can do. It only makes sense to replace complete harnesses when there is significant damage to them. Otherwise local repair should be fine.

Good luck
Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 12:44   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Should I relly pay Rs 60,000/- to fix a Rs 6,50,000 car? What are the alternatives?
My understanding is that the cost of 60k is for parts and labour. Wiring harness replacement is a time consuming job where half of the components under the hood, dash and whatnot have to come out before the new harness goes in. My guess is that the labour part of the cost would be higher than the cost of the harness itself. As @GTO mentioned, take a quote from a FNG and probably you can get it done at lower cost. Use the original harness though.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 10:19   #6

Hey!
I own a Tiago JTP and I've had a similar CEL and abs error. It is most likely a crankshaft position sensor error (DTC: P033513) that causes this.

I work on and fix my own car and this error is quite common (for me atleast). The gasket between crankshaft position sensor and the engine block fails and oil leaks start fouling with the sensor wiring. Atleast in my car (similar to yours) the sensor is behind the engine right in between alternator and engine block.

Please ask tata for obd fault codes or check it with a cheap abd tool yourself. There is a chance of engine oil travelling up the wiring harness through capillary action so I'm not completely ruling out their diagnosis. Changing the crankshaft sensor (Rs.831 usually) and a bit of brake cleaner worked for me because the oil leak was identified quite early.

I would take a second opinion before spending such an exorbitant amount. Hope it works out for you.

- Your friendly neighbourhood TATA victim
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago - Rs 60,000 quote for front wiring harness replacement! Is this legit?-img_20231205_10050501.jpg  

Tata Tiago - Rs 60,000 quote for front wiring harness replacement! Is this legit?-63__01__01.png  

Lemonysnicketz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 13:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Panicked, called SA and he advised to get the battery replaced. Got the battery replaced
Stop consulting this person first. Wonder how he diagnosed a ECM fitted car over a phone call without a scanner!

Quote:
What are the alternatives?
Find a local garage (FNG is TBhp coined acronym for Friendly Neighbor Garage). Talk to tata car owners around your home, drive into some garages first and sit and talk to the owner or mechanics, ask them if they have a OBD scanner or a laptop to read the codes.

PS - For this issue you need a electrician more than a mechanic. Just so you understand the difference. A guy with a laptop/scanner will never do the engine/gearbox/suspension/brakes. Also a AC Mechanic will never do anything apart from compressor and dashboard blower work.

Keep us updated.
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 15:04   #8

Hi,

Quick update: The sensor change did not cure my problem. Error kept propping up randomly.

Contacted an old family friend who was a tata tech. He suggested to get the battery replaced as he has seen this before.

Have not had a repeat of the error since. So my first solution was incorrect. The battery was not getting enough CCA ( COLD CRANKING AMPS).

hope this helps!

- your fellow tata error hunter
Lemonysnicketz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 21:07   #9

I need to apologise:

1. For not seeing that you changed your battery too

2. For being wrong twice

The dreaded error popped up again. It is very random for me. P033513 is something I'll remember in my sleep too now.

New CKP sensor or battery didn't change things. When the error pops up I have to clear the code using my obd reader and disconnect and connect battery to make the car start again. Very frustrating but also very TATA.

The road ahead:

1. The timing chain may have skipped which would result in CKP error. It is more plausible in mine because of the all the pulls in 21K km. Not the most plausible reason so will be last.

2. My starter motor is weak. This is also not the most plausible but it could cause this.

3. My ECM is acting up. Since the problem is not consistent and the car fixes itself with battery disconnection it is most probably this. New ECU or repair this one are options. Sometimes the ecu doesn't send earth to the CKP sensor could be the reason.

4. Wiring to that sensor is suspect? Maybe. I could check the wiring and plug if the terminals are loose. If i find an anomaly I'd be lucky and save money lol. I need clothes not more car parts for my JTP.

I see that this thread has no replies from op. Please do let me know if you got a resolution and what fixed it. Would help point me in the right direction.

Also the wiring harness (in case it was needed) isn't that much. Attaching pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago - Rs 60,000 quote for front wiring harness replacement! Is this legit?-screenshot_20240118124409.jpg  

Lemonysnicketz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks