Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2023, 15:09   #1

Tata Tiago AMT: Gearbox shifts from Neutral while turning the car off sometimes

I drive Tiago XTA (AMT) 2017, I've been facing an issue with the transmission and somehow it worked fine during summers in NCR. But the last winters and now again in November, this has been a constant problem. You might already know that AMTs can only be turned on with Neutral gear and brakes applied (most of the cars).

Issue

Even if I leave my car on Neutral before turning it off, the gear sometimes shifts to manual-Neutral or even manual-First from Auto-Neutral as I turn the key to engine off and the car makes a warning sound. The next time I try to switch it on, sometimes it's changed back to Neutral(Auto/Manual - in which case the car can be switched on) other times it just gets stuck in First gear and refuses to switch on.
  • The transmission causes no problem while the engine/car is running
  • The gear gets reset to Neutral upon disconnecting and connecting the battery, but even that didn't work once.

Resolution Offered

I took my car to the authorized service center for this issue and they charged us for changing the clutch plate even though the older one was in a perfect condition (recently replaced), and refused to pay back the money. No resolution even though they had kept the car for about 10-12 days and tested it, and suggested a complete AMT unit change which would cost more than 80k INR. No help on this from Tata online support as well.

I don't know why the gear type changes to manual on it's own and what could be the root cause for this, any help is appreciated.
zeal_motorist is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st December 2023, 17:05   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago AMT: Gearbox shifts from Neutral while turning the car off sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeal_motorist View Post
I drive Tiago XTA (AMT) 2017, I've been facing an issue with the transmission and somehow it worked fine during summers in NCR. But the last winters and now again in November, this has been a constant problem. You might already know that AMTs can only be turned on with Neutral gear and brakes applied (most of the cars).

I don't know why the gear type changes to manual on it's own and what could be the root cause for this, any help is appreciated.
Replace the AMT kit oil. It might solve the gear shift issue
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2023, 09:50   #3

Re: Tata Tiago AMT: Gearbox shifts from Neutral while turning the car off sometimes

I'm gonna try this and post an update.
Old 2nd December 2023, 11:59   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I don’t think this would can be caused by the clutch or the oil. At least I can’t imagine it would. The clutch has nothing to do with this and problems with too low oil or degraded oil tend to cause problem when driving and or shifting, not this.

There must be something wrong with the gear and or interlocking mechanism on the gear switch assembly. There might be a little play or something along those line. I would start checking the proper operation of the neutral switch and proceed from there onwards.

I would take it to a different service centre because these guys haven’t got a clue I think.

Good luck
Jeroen
Old 6th December 2023, 16:23   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I don’t think this would can be caused by the clutch or the oil. At least I can’t imagine it would. The clutch has nothing to do with this and problems with too low oil or degraded oil tend to cause problem when driving and or shifting, not this.

There must be something wrong with the gear and or interlocking mechanism on the gear switch assembly. There might be a little play or something along those line. I would start checking the proper operation of the neutral switch and proceed from there onwards.

I would take it to a different service centre because these guys haven’t got a clue I think.

Good luck
Jeroen
My thought is that since the gear shift is hydraulically driven by an actuator in an AMT, the old AMT kit oil may be impeding the operation of the hydraulics thus causing shift issues.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 16:38   #6
BHPian

I had complained about inconsistent/ jerky gear shifts in my Kwid EasyR. The service centre folks mentioned that they recalibrated the gear shifts through obd scan. I don't know how true that was, but I haven't faced the same issue in past more than 8k kms. Maybe worth a try in your case as well?
ObsessedByFIAT is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2024, 17:28   #7
BHPian

I know for sure that in case of Hyundai, since they have electric actuators, such erratic AMT behaviour is caused by weary battery. A similar issue in my car was solved by replacing the battery. Not sure if that is the case with Tata because they use hydraulic actuators.

However, it will not hurt to look into the battery angle too, if the other suggestions given here do not solve the issue.

Last edited by BhaskarG : 13th January 2024 at 17:31.
Old 15th January 2024, 12:22   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeal_motorist View Post

Issue

Even if I leave my car on Neutral before turning it off, the gear sometimes shifts to manual-Neutral or even manual-First from Auto-Neutral as I turn the key to engine off and the car makes a warning sound. The next time I try to switch it on, sometimes it's changed back to Neutral(Auto/Manual - in which case the car can be switched on) other times it just gets stuck in First gear and refuses to switch on.
  • The transmission causes no problem while the engine/car is running
  • The gear gets reset to Neutral upon disconnecting and connecting the battery, but even that didn't work once.

Resolution Offered

I took my car to the authorized service center for this issue and they charged us for changing the clutch plate even though the older one was in a perfect condition (recently replaced), and refused to pay back the money. No resolution even though they had kept the car for about 10-12 days and tested it, and suggested a complete AMT unit change which would cost more than 80k INR. No help on this from Tata online support as well.

This must be a big irritant. It shows that AMT is still not a matured technology from Service point of view.
If it would have been issue related to Clutch..you would have easily experienced a hard clutch pedal on manual mode. You have not mentioned such a thing.

Suggest show to another dealer and take the opinion. Ask them to do a software scan since there could be some issue in Transmission Mgmt system (PLC) which provides road-load inputs to actuator.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks