Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2023, 21:31   #1
BHPian

Tata Tiago AMT MID shows "F" after driving through water

Tata tiago AMT car instrument cluster shows F. What does this mean?

I drove my friend's Tiago AMT in a water clogged area. It was so clogged that the water level was till the bonnet top. Water entered the cabin too. The car did not stop and I reached the destination safely.

An hour later, I started the car again, and the car started normally. I tried taking the car in reverse. In a minute( less than 5 feet of distance), the instrument cluster showed F instead of A, R or N, but the car was still on and engine was running, but it wouldn't move. I tried starting the car again, it still showed F, and did not crank.

The only rationale of starting the car again was that: the car didn't stop while driving, so I thought water didn't enter the engine. I am guessing this is only a transmission issue and not an engine issue. There were no engine check light or any warning light.

So, what does this F mean? Google didn't help. Can anyone help me with this query? Did I mess up big time? The car is very new (only 2.5k km on odo) and I am very worried.

Last edited by Benoit : 4th December 2023 at 21:33.
Old 6th December 2023, 05:25   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Tiago AMT MID shows "F" after driving through water

Tata Tiago AMT MID shows "F" after driving through water - Post moved to a new thread.
Old 6th December 2023, 06:48   #3
BHPian

"F" stands for 'fault' and my guess is that water must have screwed up some sensors and the fault code should go away once the moisture is gone.
corvus corax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 07:21   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
It was so clogged that the water level was till the bonnet top. Water entered the cabin too. Did I mess up big time?
Looks like, you are lucky that engine didn't suck up water, but one cannot be sure about water. It reaches everywhere and a lot of things go bad with time if not today.

Due to prevailing conditions in your area, am sure there will be a lot of Insurance claims. Better file for a claim based on the advice of the dealership. They will have to file the car submerged/ waterlogged. Technically, since the engine is running properly, you should be fine as far as insurance is concerned irrespective of engine protection.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 02:06   #5
BHPian

Thanks for your advice.

A day later, I checked the car, turned it on (didn't start the engine), the F sign disappeared. But I just didn't want to take the risk. Once the service centers open after the flood situation improves in Chennai, I will request them to assess the car, and proceed further.

Not going to start the car until they give the green signal. Solely because it's a friend's car.
Benoit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks