Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2024, 13:49   #16
BHPian

Re: DIY: Testing your car battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Checked the 3 series AGM Battery today. It is 3 years old and rated at 850CCA 92aH. Initially I had tested it via the jump start points in the engine bay and it gave some erroneous readings. Today I connected the tester directly to the battery in the boot and the readings seem to fine.

CCA is 800 and SOH at 97%
Can it detect/differentiate between the Normal Lead Acid and AGM batteries?
Holyghost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2024, 15:53   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Correct. In addition, if the level of the electrolyte is low it will also show.
I went to a local electrical shop and he did a specific gravity test for each of the cells. He also checked voltages at different situations and confirmed everything looks good.
Old 14th January 2024, 08:27   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

Not come across a tester that detects battery type yet. AGM, Flooded , Lead Acid etc etc is information you select on the tester, along with CCA rating before beginning the test.
Redex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 17:01   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redex View Post
Not come across a tester that detects battery type yet. AGM, Flooded , Lead Acid etc etc is information you select on the tester, along with CCA rating before beginning the test.
Agree, I would not know how you get a device to recognize which type of battery it is hooked up to.

Part of the challenge I had, was to figure out which type of battery was installed in my various cars. you can't always tell from the outside and more often than not the type of battery was not mentioned on the battery itself. In fact, the type wasn't even mentioned in some of the websites ai visited to find out.

Jeroen
Old 16th January 2024, 09:13   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Agree, I would not know how you get a device to recognize which type of battery it is hooked up to.

Part of the challenge I had, was to figure out which type of battery was installed in my various cars. you can't always tell from the outside and more often than not the type of battery was not mentioned on the battery itself. In fact, the type wasn't even mentioned in some of the websites ai visited to find out.

Jeroen
All it would take is universal agreement from all manufacturers to use a barcode,
QR code or an RFID tag. Never going to happen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks