Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2007, 22:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Hi Moral, My understanding is that reseting the ECU programs the ECU with new value based on the modification. The diagnostic tool is gr8. Will try that as well. But will the device give the recommended setting after any modification or it just displays the current value?
Tried the diagnostic tool from hyundai today when i visited them..they checked different sensors and the car is fine..
Old 6th July 2010, 01:52   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Why should one do ECU reset? Think you guys should find an answer to that first

rj, just follow the steps in post #1. 30-45 min if you want

the 4th point is the answer to why we do this. If you want more performance, skip that step and drive your car as you usually do when you want performance out of it, for about 4-5kms atleast.

Hey, I'm brushing up this pretty old thread.

Well, jkdas, After resetting the ECU, will sprinted driving tune the ECU towards 'sporty' values, and 'sedate' driving tune it towards economy?.
Like, will be be able to get the car perform well or extract more economy with an ECU reset??.
Old 6th July 2010, 03:35   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hey, I'm brushing up this pretty old thread.

Well, jkdas, After resetting the ECU, will sprinted driving tune the ECU towards 'sporty' values, and 'sedate' driving tune it towards economy?.
Like, will be be able to get the car perform well or extract more economy with an ECU reset??.
ECU reset will not do any wonders to your car.
only thing it would to is re-arrange all incoming sensor values and arrange them to nearest value set by manufacturer, for best diagnose its better to get car checked at A.S.S. using the ECU Scanner before/after you D.I.Y.
Old 6th July 2010, 04:25   #19
CPH
BHPian

All the so called 'reset' does is deleting the long term fuel trim. The long term fuel trim is adjusted constantly because of changing ambient conditions, cloog rate of the filter etc.

The ECU would adjust to a new filter in any case, whether the long term fuel trim is deleted or not.

When the long term fuel trim is deleted the ECU operates from the base map and adjusts to a preferable setting after runjing through the different mapping points.
Old 6th July 2010, 16:05   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey ghpk & CPH , I too was of the same impression until THIS made me think otherwise?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Why should one do ECU reset? Think you guys should find an answer to that first

rj, just follow the steps in post #1. 30-45 min if you want

the 4th point is the answer to why we do this. If you want more performance, skip that step and drive your car as you usually do when you want performance out of it, for about 4-5kms atleast.

Check out the 4rth point jkdas mentioned.
Old 6th July 2010, 16:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hey ghpk & CPH , I too was of the same impression until THIS made me think otherwise?.
Check out the 4rth point jkdas mentioned.
If you drive it in a sporty manner (instead of idling) after reconnecting I guess the long term fuel trim will be assigned richer or sporty or bigger (or whatever it should be called) values. This will be good start if you intend to drive the car like that every time.

But, what kind of difference it will anyway make, when you do all these after installing just a new K&N filter? I guess the difference is negligible but your mind tends to think that there is some significant improvement in performance!

Last edited by clevermax : 6th July 2010 at 16:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks