Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2024, 10:01   #1

Isuzu D-Max: Frequent EGR problems in Bhutan

Hi everyone,

Hoping to get some advice on how to handle a reoccurring EGR problem.

My BS6 D-Max S-Cab has clocked around 15,500KM (a little more than a year since I purchased it) but in that time my EGR has required cleaning (following a check engine light and scanning) at least 7 times! And the EGR valve has even been replaced thrice in addition! So at least 10 trips to the service centre here in Thimphu. And at almost every one of these trips I've met others who require frequent, but not as mine, EGR cleanings. However, it has been done at no charge to me which is appreciated, although obviously, the hours I've lost at the workshop have been adding up with each visit averaging 3-4 hours.

For a long time here, BS6 owners and mechanics have and continue to remain confused and frustrated at the lack of a long-term solution.

Isuzu India has apparently done some research on the issue, according to Isuzu Bhutan, and claimed albeit not publicly, or informed us owners, that the culprit could be diesel with higher sulphur content. As far as I know, the fuel at the pumps here are already BS6.

Occasionally, we're also advised to drive at higher RPMs and go for long fast cruises but in a mountainous country with winding roads and a 50km speed limit, this is both illegal and suicide.

My question is if any fellow Isuzu owners in India are facing the same problem and how you might be handling it. Or if anyone with knowledge on the issue could please advise.

My thanks in advance.
country_road is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 12:02   #2
BHPian

Re: Isuzu D-Max: Frequent EGR problems in Bhutan

So, this is going to be quite the controversial opinion but see a tuner and get an EGR delete. Can't have EGR issues if its turned off. Its a feasible solution and will keep the engine healthier in the long term.
SH1N1G4MI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 14:46   #3

Yes, the mechanics here did tell me that blanking or installation of an EGR delete kit would make me fail the emissions test. But it is starting to sound like a viable option compared to having to visit the workshop every 1,000km or so for a time-consuming cleaning.
Old 13th March 2024, 14:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

The moment I saw Thimpu as your location (country_road) i felt that the slow mountain roads is the main culprit here.

Delete EGR, De-Cat and DPF-straight pipe, your engine will thank you.

Last edited by svsantosh : 13th March 2024 at 14:24.
svsantosh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 14:32   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I would not advise for EGR delete.

Try driving at higher RPM(2.5k to 3.5k) for 5-10 kms. This will keep the RPM's high and throttle input will be high hence the EGR will not be enabled. If you have a conservative driving style where you upshift at the first possible chance in view of getting high fuel economy, it will most definitely clog up the EGR.

Try this driving before EGR delete. Your is a new car. It should not have this problem.
Check this very informative video on EGR

sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 15:05   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by country_road View Post
Yes, the mechanics here did tell me that blanking or installation of an EGR delete kit would make me fail the emissions test. But it is starting to sound like a viable option compared to having to visit the workshop every 1,000km or so for a time-consuming cleaning.
Nothing will happen, you won't fail your emission tests. Just go for a remap,have the EGR delete done in the remap.
This is a better and long term solution to your problems.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 15:36   #7
BHPian

Better to not touch the EGR as your truck would be in warranty. Automatics usually fare well in such conditions as the transmission maintains high rpm. Try to limit your drives to 2nd and 3rd gear.
Tourer is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 16:32   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
The moment I saw Thimpu as your location (country_road) i felt that the slow mountain roads is the main culprit here.

Delete EGR, De-Cat and DPF-straight pipe, your engine will thank you.
@OP , this 👆🏻. EGR is a gimmick, your friendly govt bus is busy spewing more noxious fumes every second while the govt is busy screwing over the common man with these ‘ emission controls’ . Plant a tree every month to compensate and the environment will thank you too.
howler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 22:54   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH1N1G4MI View Post
So, this is going to be quite the controversial opinion but see a tuner and get an EGR delete. Can't have EGR issues if its turned off. Its a feasible solution and will keep the engine healthier in the long term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I would not advise for EGR delete.

Try driving at higher RPM(2.5k to 3.5k) for 5-10 kms. This will keep the RPM's high and throttle input will be high hence the EGR will not be enabled. If you have a conservative driving style where you upshift at the first possible chance in view of getting high fuel economy, it will most definitely clog up the EGR.

Try this driving before EGR delete. Your is a new car. It should not have this problem.
Check this very informative video on EGR
Thanks very much for this video. I've watched a whole bunch online but this was both a clearer and simpler but detailed deep dive into the EGR. I completely agreed with him when he blamed the manufacturers for not making the EGR more accessible to the end user. I would not mind cleaning the EGR periodically myself if it could be easily removed and reinstalled but this is not so. The mechanics here dread the task and I've heard much profanity and curses directed at the, what I now understand from the video, an actually blameless EGR system. The EGR in the Isuzu D-Max is a pain to remove and reinstall.

I really would like to see governments require manufacturers to make the EGR become more end-user accessible. We would see far fewer EGR deletes.

I do have a conservative driving style. Changing that to a lower gear higher RPM style. Hopefully that should help.

Many thanks.
Old 2nd April 2024, 18:00   #10

The cat's out of the bag for Isuzu in Bhutan. Looks like our national TV station has caught onto the plight facing us B6 Isuzu owners here. A team from Isuzu India is finally coming here to investigate. Will update on their findings for anyone interested.

https://www.bbs.bt/news/?p=201654&fb...3xKHA56-7255kA

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks