Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2024, 18:10   #16
BHPian

Re: Which Project Car for an enthusiast? Want to enjoy the build & wrench time

Budget and other restrictions permitting, you could look at the below options:

Laura 1.8 TSI / 2.0 TDI - stay away from the 1.8 auto, diesel manual or automatic both are very good options. Diesel especially is a torque monster if built correctly.

Jetta 2.0 TDI - manual or automatic both are very good project car options.

Polo 1.0 TSI Manual - again great hatchback, however it is limited to roughly 150 HP or so after modifications.

Vento / Rapid 1.6 TDI - again monsters if built well. Loads of pages on Instagram chronicling builds on these too.

I would suggest you to stay away from the MK1 vRS due to scarcity of parts. Honda City VTEC is a great option though.

If the running costs permit, you could try and find an Accord V6 3.0 or 3.5 too. But be ready for 4km/l.
Aditya666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 01:55   #17
BHPian

When it comes to Honda, parts are really getting hard to source(atleast in India) and there aren't many feasible options to import them. Even though the Civic, although a great car(I drive one), its Achilles heel is the Honda R18 engine. The engine is just not very mod-friendly, and you can't expect much gains without risking reliability. Sure, we have had R18 Civics on this forum equipped with forced induction(BHPian Nikhilb2008), it was reliable, but I also remember that it blew the engine block, IIRC. It just can't handle that much power.

One suggestion if you do go through this route is swapping the engine for a K20(old CRV). The FD2 Type R Civic has this engine, and as far as its legacy goes, the K20 is known to have endless potential and handles incredible amounts of power(have read about 500+hp builds). This, coupled with Civic's agile chassis and incredible driving dynamics would make it a seriously nice car to drive.

When it comes to the City, not much can be said about the availability of parts, but I am sure it will become easier to find them, since there's been a new trend of old Citys being restored, given a new lease of life all over South India. The aftermarket support is back from the dead, and it also provides more potential for modding the car. The D series engine is an original VTEC engine, and is truly a gem. However, since the car is 20+ years old, many things are bound to wear out and come apart as it ages, and you'll have to spend quite some time addressing this as well.

The Skodas/Germans are, in my humble opinion, to be avoided. 10+ year old electronics in these cars are really complex, and when things go haywire, they get really complicated, and you'll be looking at a dashboard full of Christmas lights in no time. If you're willing to live with this/risk it, these cars are also known for their decent driving dynamics and the TDI engines are pretty much bulletproof if you treat the car like a beater.

After all of this, I'd still saying your best bet would be G13B Swift/Esteem, G16B Baleno or the Gypsy. The spares are easy to source, there are plenty of cars still on the road today,many even scrapped, and the aftermarket support for these cars seems to have grown in the last 4-5 years, especially after many decided to restore the old Esteems and mod them to their liking.

The G13B engine has endless potential, and is known for being extremely reliable even when not maintained well. This engine, coupled with the low body weight of the Swift/Esteem results in high power-to-weight ratio and makes the car nimble and really fun to drive. This can be largely improved, based on how far you're willing to go with your mods, and what your goals and expectations from the build would be.

All the best!

Last edited by CzechItaliaMoto : 28th February 2024 at 02:08. Reason: adding content
CzechItaliaMoto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 10:07   #18

Out of the three cars you had wanted I would mainly suggest the Honda city and gypsy as a 20 year old skoda would throw up all kinds of small niggles mechanically they are good but electronics is the main issue if you're fine with spending time at the workshop and getting everything rectified bit by bit then those workhorses are perfect for tuning.

The Honda city and gypsy have a lot of parts support especially in Bangalore so you won't really have that many problems in sourcing anything but beware to have a good trusted mechanic to get everything done as there are many people who try to rip you off for the smallest of things, speaking from personal experience.

But with any old car no matter the age or mileage before you do any serious tuning or engine swaps be prepared to get things like bushes,suspension,brake pads,ac compressor,rust issues,electricals, tyres checked thoroughly before buying the car.

I'd like to throw in another wild card entry which you could consider and that is the Mitsubishi Lancer, I think slowly these cars are making a comeback in the tuner scene in India and parts availability is a little harder to get compared to the Honda city but I have found a few contacts who can source things. By the way I'm a proud owner of my very own project car i.e lancer, these cars are always a battle on heart over mind but no matter which one you choose you won't go wrong.
R34ul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 11:00   #19
BHPian

Hey @speedfreak77

Owning a project Honda myself, OE parts are difficult to find and quite expensive. Finding a chassis in decent shape is also a challenge as most would be quite bad/ would need repairs. No doubt the G16b, The D15B are very potential and mod friendly engines, the chassis would be the real challenge.

Alternatively, I would suggest a VW polo. Modern chassis which handles well, Lots of aftermarket options and if needed can swap TDI or TSI into it at a later stage. Yes the initial investment is higher but you are getting a chassis which would be in way better state than any Baleno or city's IMHO.

Do not run after HP numbers. Instead look into optimizing the handling and brakes. This will give you the best results. A well set up polo 1.0 Tsi can be a hoot to drive on track and street.
speedfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 11:11   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak77 View Post
Hello Team,

I have been deciding to get a project car, something which I can build step by step and enjoy the build process and even try to put some wrench time of my own into the car. There are so many options for a project car and I just don’t know which will be the best first project car. I am trying to keep things minimalistic and the car will be a weekend/event runner and I will document its journey every step of the way.

My options as of now are -
1. 2003 Honda City Type 2 VTEC
2. Skoda Octavia VRS Mk1
3. Maruti Gypsy

These are some of the options I considered, new options are welcome ....Would like to know your suggestions Team!
Hi, A project car is a fab way to explore and manifest ones latent skills / talents, you name it!
Be prepared to blow up some money, but make sure the ends justify it.
I own a Passat 3BG with the 1.9 TDI 130 bhp monster of an engine with a 5 speed MT. The beauty of this car is it's not a transverse mount engine even though it's FWD and it has the provision for a 4WD too! The car is currently fully stock and am toying with the idea of upping the power upto 250 bhp while also putting in bilsteins to ramp up the stock suspension and ride.
The CA part of my brain however says " Sell the car and buy a hybrid " ! Let's see who wins
Attached Thumbnails
Which Project Car for an enthusiast? Want to enjoy the build & wrench time-20160302_161242.jpg  

Passatman is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks