Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2024, 10:03   #1

BMW navigation worth it?

I recently purchased a pre-owned BMW X5 (F15, 3rd gen). The inbuilt navigation in it is really outdated and hardly useful. It obviously doesn't have CarPlay. While currently I am making do using Google Maps on my mobile, it would have been great to have a usable inbuilt navigation. The current navigation system is 2013 version and doesn't recognize any of the locations inputted.

On speaking to the BMW service advisor, he said it can be updated for a price of 9K INR. I'm wondering whether it is worth it. Does anybody have any idea/tips regarding this?

PS: I am in Mumbai, if it helps.
Old 5th February 2024, 11:11   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW navigation worth it?

Not at all and IMHO, that applies to all "inbuilt" navigation systems by car manufacturers. Google Maps is the best and offers up-to-date information, routes & traffic data. My smartphone fits perfectly in the cupholder with the screen facing me. If that's not the case with you, either rely on audio instructions or get a smartphone holder.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 12:49   #3
BHPian

It's not worth it! If you plan on keeping the car, the local accessories dealer could help you with a retrofit a MMI box basis your current I-drive model!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiyer20 View Post
I recently purchased a pre-owned BMW X5 (F15, 3rd gen). The inbuilt navigation in it is really outdated and hardly useful. It obviously doesn't have CarPlay. While currently I am making do using Google Maps on my mobile, it would have been great to have a usable inbuilt navigation. The current navigation system is 2013 version and doesn't recognize any of the locations inputted.

On speaking to the BMW service advisor, he said it can be updated for a price of 9K INR. I'm wondering whether it is worth it. Does anybody have any idea/tips regarding this?

ssjr0498 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 23:41   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Check out these guys with your VIN: https://www.bimmer-tech.net/
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2024, 18:24   #5
kdp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiyer20 View Post

The BMW maps are not terrible, especially if they are upto date. There are times that I do prefer the BMW maps to Google maps. For Example, in Bangalore, as a non local, I have been guided down increasingly narrow "Main" roads; while relying on gmaps. BMW maps, for the same run on a subsequent day, on the other hand, kept me on the real main roads. (longer, but ultimately about the same travel time. And yes, gmaps is set to minimise travel time). you do lose traffic information, but integrated map has a nice interface and its useful to see directions on the HUD.

It does not need to cost an arm and a leg to keep bmw maps upto date. it can even be free. I am assuming that you have a CIC Head unit if its a 2013 map. I had NBT on my f25. DM me if you need guidance on how to go about it.
kdp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 16:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp View Post
The BMW maps are not terrible, especially if they are upto date. There are times that I do prefer the BMW maps to Google maps. For Example, in Bangalore, as a non local, I have been guided down increasingly narrow "Main" roads; while relying on gmaps. BMW maps, for the same run on a subsequent day, on the other hand, kept me on the real main roads. (longer, but ultimately about the same travel time. And yes, gmaps is set to minimise travel time). you do lose traffic information, but integrated map has a nice interface and its useful to see directions on the HUD.

It does not need to cost an arm and a leg to keep bmw maps upto date. it can even be free. I am assuming that you have a CIC Head unit if its a 2013 map. I had NBT on my f25. DM me if you need guidance on how to go about it.
Hi kdp - yes please. I didn't quite get what you said. Please guide me. Appreciate your help in advance.
Old 15th March 2024, 14:14   #7
BHPian

Not worth the cost at all. Like many others, I would recommend using a phone holder and google maps instead. You may even consider MMI boxes which will get you all the modern connectivity features like Car Play and Android Auto even but will cost a lot more.

I had called BMW to ask for maps update when we brought home our pre-owned 2018 530d and I was also told that it would be a paid one.

However, I was pleasantly surprised to see that my iDrive 6 version as well as the maps were updated to the latest ones a few months back when I went to pick the car up from an official recall that I had got which was for the EGR cooler (and an already pending one of replacing the LTE compensator) which was all done at no cost to me. So see if you have any recalls pending on your vehicle to try your luck .
Old 15th March 2024, 15:42   #8
BHPian

BMW has an autocall feature for emergency to dial the company service centre. Not sure if the location details will be collected from BMW maps. If anyone from inside know what data is collected and if BMW maps has no relation to it then it doesn't make sense to update for 9K
Some connected car features are grey areas which only BMW experts can explain. Though I am not sure if the autocall feature is valid for your car and our country

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks