Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2024, 19:36   #1

Transmission Error in Tata Nexon DCA

Hello,

I recently encountered a concerning issue with my Tata Nexon Fearless DCA, and I'm seeking some insights and advice from fellow members who might have experienced something similar.

Last October, I purchased a Tata Nexon Fearless DCA, and up until last Sunday, I had been enjoying a smooth driving experience, despite encountering some software glitches in the infotainment system and speedometer.

However, last Wednesday, while on the road, I suddenly noticed a transmission error message flashing on the display. The car began to slow down and eventually came to a halt. I found that the car kept shifting into park mode automatically, and despite my attempts, I couldn't engage the reverse gear. Though I could intermittently switch to drive mode, the issue persisted.

Concerned about the situation, I promptly contacted Roadside Assistance, and the car was towed to Prerana Motors service center. Technicians at the service center have been unable to diagnose the root cause of the problem. Initially, they attempted to resolve it by updating the software, but to no avail. Subsequently, they checked the gear oil level and viscosity, finding everything within normal parameters. Currently, they've escalated the issue to Tata Motors headquarters and are awaiting a response.

I'm reaching out to the Team-BHP community to see if anyone has encountered a similar transmission issue with the Tata Nexon Fearless DCA or any other variant. Any insights, advice, or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated as I navigate through this situation.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Last edited by HAR_MAN : 10th February 2024 at 20:02.
HAR_MAN is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 10th February 2024, 21:21   #2
BHPian

re: Transmission Error in Tata Nexon DCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAR_MAN View Post
if anyone has encountered a similar transmission issue with the Tata Nexon Fearless DCA or any other variant.
You're not alone, there were a few issues reported on the forum's official review thread. it looks like there are some issues with the October - November 2023 batch. Quoting a few posts below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keshavmurthym View Post
Got the car after 2 days at the showroom for the above replacement. It looks like they have replaced the entire DCA gear unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
I was just searching about this to find more details and came across a Reddit thread about DCA issues: https://www.reddit.com/r/CarsIndia/c...ission_issues/
Quote:
Issues mentioned in Redit:
1. Vehicle gets in netural in running condition from any gear spontaneous anytime. - Happened just once when I was driving in Mangalore highway and it was shock of lifetime when on highway.

2. Vehicle gets stuck in 3rd gear & refuses to advance in 4th gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaartooS View Post
I got my Nexon DCT in early Nov 2023.

4 times it has happened till date when suddenly the car has stopped taking accelerator input while driving. Thrice on the highway when my speed was 60 kmph+. Twice it showed malfunction and the other times it asked me to keep the car in Neutral for 10 seconds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof87 View Post
If you received your vehicle in October or early November, then there was a change in vendor for DCA gearbox because of which there were delay in delivery for all DCA bookings. Since you already got your vehicle delivered they had to replace the same. This is what was informed to me by the Sales Advisor when I asked about the long delay.

Last edited by robincsamuel : 10th February 2024 at 21:26.
robincsamuel is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 10th February 2024, 22:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Transmission Error in Tata Nexon DCA

Quote:
You're not alone, there were a few issues reported on the forum's official review thread. it looks like there are some issues with the October - November 2023 batch. Quoting a few posts below.
And there is no official recall for this? They seem to wait for their customers to get stranded on the road and then replace it even though they know about the issue. This is what I hated about Tata during my ownership experience. They don't have a recall process and wait for something to happen and then do a replacement.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 10th February 2024 at 22:17.
padmrajravi is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 10th February 2024, 22:17   #4
BHPian

Then its obvious and looks like there are some issues with the early batch DCA units. Touchwood so far other than the mentioned 2 glitches car is driving fine.

I always wanted to go for Indian made with tested build quality and now I started feeling bad for my decision. Its better to go for tried or tested AMT/CVT transmission without any second thoughts if you are looking for automatic. Just waiting to complete 1 year with this Nexon and will change for sure post that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
And there is no official recall for this? They wait for their customers to get stranded on the road and then replace it. This is what I hated about Tata during my ownership experience. They don't have a recall process and wait for something to happen and then do a replacement.
In my case I did not face any issues and they asked me to take the car to service center asap to replace the DCA unit. Also, it was in the service center for 2 days and they had replaced the entire DCA gear box (which i came to know only after looking at the invoice)

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Last edited by KarthikK : 12th February 2024 at 13:53.
keshavmurthym is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2024, 10:26   #5

Re: Transmission Error in Tata Nexon DCA

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response. This seems to be a common problem for the first batch of cars.

Quote:
1. Vehicle gets in netural in running condition from any gear spontaneous anytime. - Happened just once when I was driving in Mangalore highway and it was shock of lifetime when on highway. Happened only once and I changed to drive mode and it was fine later on.
I too encountered the similar issue once. Vehicle went to neutral in the middle of highway. Reported this during the first service, but service centre said no issues found everything is good

Quote:
In my case I did not face any issues and they asked me to take the car to service center asap to replace the DCA unit. Also, it was in the service center for 2 days and they had replaced the entire DCA gear box (which i came to know only after looking at the invoice)
That's great to hear! I had driven about 4500 kms when the issue occurred. How many kilometres have you completed?
HAR_MAN is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2024, 15:36   #6
BHPian

Quote:
I too encountered the similar issue once. Vehicle went to neutral in the middle of highway. Reported this during the first service, but service centre said no issues found everything is good
Ohh, I did not complain this to the service center as i did not encounter it again. Even if I complain the advisor they dont take it serious, I am not happy with the attitude of Tata service center especially the one in Kanakapura Road Bangalore- Key Motors service center.

Quote:
That's great to hear! I had driven about 4500 kms when the issue occurred. How many kilometres have you completed?
I have driven 2400Kms so far. Couple of highways drive and Bangalore city.

I also faced another weird issue on speedometer. In highway once you cruise for 100+ for couple of minutes, then speedometer goes crazy and it doesn't show the exact speed of the vehicle. It reads 100+ even if I am riding at 50-60 KM speed. Once turn off and on the engine its fine. Did you observe this issue?

BTW, did you get your car back? What was the issue?

Last edited by keshavmurthym : 11th February 2024 at 15:38.
keshavmurthym is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 17:43   #7

Quote:
BTW, did you get your car back? What was the issue?
My car is still at service center. They are going to replace the DCA assembly. The part is ordered today, and it might take couple of days to receive.

@ IshaanIan

The decision to purchase Tata Nexon was partly influenced by my desire to support a local company. However, I also prioritize reliability and peace of mind when it comes to vehicle ownership.

I have had positive experiences with Tata vehicles in the past, such as the Indica Vista in our family, which remained reliable and trouble-free for a decade. While it's true that service experiences at Tata service centers may not always match expectations, it's also worth noting that similar issues can arise with service centers of other brands.

Nexon offered the perfect blend of ride comfort, responsive handling, and top-tier safety features within my budget.

Last edited by GTO : 14th February 2024 at 14:01. Reason: Removing quoted post which is being moved
HAR_MAN is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 17:52   #8

Hello everyone,

I wanted to provide an update on my Tata Nexon Fearless DCA. After three weeks at the showroom, it's finally back.

They ended up replacing the DCT assembly, ABS control unit and ESP unit. Frankly, I'm puzzled about why they swapped out the ABS motor and ESP unit. According to my service advisor, they found errors from these components, which prompted the replacements, but the connection to the transmission issue isn't clear to me.

I wish they had provided more insight into why these particular parts were replaced. Regardless, I'm hoping for smoother driving now that the car is back, and I'll keep an eye on the performance of these new components.

Transmission Error in Tata Nexon DCA-22022024-13_47_41.jpg

Regards
HAR_MAN

Last edited by HAR_MAN : 22nd February 2024 at 18:12. Reason: Inserting image inline :)
HAR_MAN is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 09:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

I am facing The transmission malfunction error multiple times on long drives. Last time they corrected with some software update. Well the issue is back again. On my way to kolhapur very early in the morning. The transmission malfunction error started popping up everytime after car reaches 80kmph speed. Seems like it happens after I drive a car on highway continuously for atleast for 30-40km. So i think this is not a case of software problem. Seems like problem with the DCA unit.
tushky is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 15:36   #10

Quote:
They ended up replacing the DCT assembly, ABS control unit and ESP unit. Frankly, I'm puzzled about why they swapped out the ABS motor and ESP unit. According to my service advisor, they found errors from these components, which prompted the replacements, but the connection to the transmission issue isn't clear to me.
We are seeing more and more issues with DCA from the Oct-Nov batch. Luckily, they somehow found the issue and replaced it in the next set of batches. Due to this change in unit my delivery moved from 2 months to 4 months and ended up getting 2024 model
Prof87 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks