Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2007, 13:17   #1

4.5 month old Swift - uncharacteristic sound

Hi,

My new swift lxi, that I bought in March, is working fine. This is my first car and so I am not really sure about the various details of car maintenance and other need-to-know stuff.

For the past 3-4 weeks, the car has been giving one specific type of noise, when on hump or uneven road. The sound is coming only in the front (more from the left side). The noise is very uncharacteristic in a way, and I feel it is coming out of shock absorber. It appears that some piston pumping like activity is going on and it is on the rough side. So when it descends the hump, the sound like "ooosshhhh" comes. The sound is prominent on the major humps and reduces itself on the minor ones. It is clearly audible on when all windows are up.

I went to Pratham motors and that guy could not diagnose it. He said that on second service, he will thoroughly check for the problem and rectify it, but I doubt him, because he won't be able to diagnose it. Initially I thought the problem may be because of air-pressure, but with service guy recommendation of 30 PSI in all tyres, the sound still persists.

Any help, I don't know if it is a major problem or a minor one, that can be looked away as a one-off problem of rainy season.

Thanks in advance.

-Amit
Old 17th August 2007, 16:46   #2
BHPian

i think the "noise" which you refering to is coming from your shock absorbers which are filled with nitrogen. this is absolutely normal. but what seems to worry me is that you say the noise is more prominent from the left side.

Monroe Sensa Trac Passenger Car Shocks - The Best in Safety and Stability

if i;m not wrong this is the specification for the shock absorber in your car.

Last edited by flipsyde : 17th August 2007 at 16:48.
Old 17th August 2007, 16:54   #3
BHPian

That's correct, it's the sound of the shock absorbers at work!

While driving, we knowingly-unknowingly tend to tackle the car over the pot holes, speed bumps etc from the left side and keep our (driving) side away from them, thus the left side has a higher degree of movement possibly and more sound come from there.

That's my understanding, and I suggest that you enjoy the "ooosshhhh" sound till it lasts ;-)
Old 17th August 2007, 17:22   #4
BANNED

But not every Swifts are having this problem. Better get your suspension system fully checked.

And the Pulsars which are having Nitrox shocks doesn't have this problem !
Old 17th August 2007, 17:29   #5
Team-BHP Support

if its woosh woosh its normal, and if you have a wall on the left which reflects the sound back then you will hear only on left, usually both sides make woosh woosh sound.
Old 20th August 2007, 13:26   #6

Thanks for the suggestion/advice.

Should I wait till second service or ask that guy at Pratham to thoroughly check the suspension system?
Old 20th August 2007, 13:31   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
if its woosh woosh its normal, and if you have a wall on the left which reflects the sound back then you will hear only on left, usually both sides make woosh woosh sound.
the noise is on the road and not on when close to a wall, so the reflection of sound is ruled out. The noise/sound is very annoying and it reflects as a sub-standard product fitting in the car.

Another thing I observed is with the 30 PSI air pressure in all 4 tyres, the noise has subsided to a large extent on the rough patches on the road, but it is still there on the humps.

don't even know as to what to call it and whom to report it to?
Old 20th August 2007, 14:42   #8
Team-BHP Support

Its normal with most of the new gen cars with silent engines and smooth suspension, if its woosh woosh sound.

Dont bother too much with it, unless its a metallic, grinding, or thud sounds.

When the air pressure is low the tyres might transfer less force which CAN cause a reduction in the sound, or can be a placebo effect also
Old 20th August 2007, 21:12   #9
BANNED

Thanks guys. I was about to ask the same question on this type of noise with my Laura - but on both sides. I guessed it was the shocks but wanted to be sure. This post has just answered my question.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks