Team-BHP - How to break through auto lock in remote locking?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   How to break through auto lock in remote locking? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/27763-how-break-through-auto-lock-remote-locking.html)

I was returning home from my cousin's place with my sister tonight. My sister was driving her Optra (I was in my OHC) with the factory fitted remote locking, she got off the car to get some stuff and she got locked out with the engine still running.

We tried to do the usual "scale in the beading" trick but the Optra's window beading is too tight to put anything through.

Looking at the time, we decided to try open the quarter glass so moved its beading with keys and all but it immediately broke the glass.:mad:

I wanted to know, what can one do in a situation when someone gets locked out specially with the engine running because then we could not even wait for tomorrow to get the spare key to unlock it. (I'm talking about a lot of distance here)

And how much will the quarter glass cost me, best place to get replacement on a sunday!?!?

Reminds me of the situation we had with BIL car, a fiesta. Tried all possible means. He had accidently locked his keys in the dicky! and we were out of state. Tried all possible means. Managed to open bonnet. Disconnected battery and reconnected. The locks did not give. Tried shorting the locks through the beading. No sucess. Finally managed to pass a wire through the door beading and open the lock. Cumbersome stuff. Almost took us 3 hours.!

I suffered this once a few years back while getting my Safari's tyres aligned. Since they start to settle the steering (being a power steering), the vehicle was locked with the key inside. With great difficulty we managed to open the bonnet, disconnect the battery and briefly touched the wired to the terminals . In a flash the the door got unlocked and we opened the door.

Ever since I carry two keys with me always. One always remains in my pocket to take care of such emergencies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankitahuja (Post 536751)
I was returning home from my cousin's place with my sister tonight. My sister was driving her Optra (I was in my OHC) with the factory fitted remote locking, she got off the car to get some stuff and she got locked out with the engine still running.

We tried to do the usual "scale in the beading" trick but the Optra's window beading is too tight to put anything through.

Looking at the time, we decided to try open the quarter glass so moved its beading with keys and all but it immediately broke the glass.:mad:

I wanted to know, what can one do in a situation when someone gets locked out specially with the engine running because then we could not even wait for tomorrow to get the spare key to unlock it. (I'm talking about a lot of distance here)

And how much will the quarter glass cost me, best place to get replacement on a sunday!?!?

Quote:

My sister was driving her Optra (I was in my OHC) with the factory fitted remote locking, she got off the car to get some stuff and she got locked out with the engine still running.

Why was she locked out. Does the system lock all doors within x seconds of starting the car. If so , see if you can disable just this feature.
In my Baleno I got the dealer to disable this feature only.

Accha, that is why you called at 3:15 in the night!! Sorry for not taking the call Ankit, I was sleeping.

And in any case I would have advised you to either open via the beading or the quarterglass. You can also confirm with the dealer (when you go to replace the glass) whether this feature can be disabled.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gd1418 (Post 536864)
, disconnect the battery and briefly touched the wired to the terminals . In a flash the the door got unlocked and we opened the door.

Which terminals did you touch, it will be good information for ppl stuck in similar situations.

PM me pls, if you dont want this information to be misused.

This has happened to me in the accent and the safari. Both times, we used open the beading and scale trick. It worked.

The safari had the engine running when it got locked.

Drifter

When I am alone in car, I always take keys out while leaving my seat (even for short time). If people have to sit in car, only then I will leave keys in.

lohe wala scale always works. BTW, gd bhai....do you mind ssharing how did you opened the bonnet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gd1418 (Post 536864)
With great difficulty we managed to open the bonnet, disconnect the battery and briefly touched the wired to the terminals . In a flash the the door got unlocked and we opened the door.

How did u manage to open the bonnet? What does one do if stuck like this alone at night or in a deserted place?

Quote:

Originally Posted by filcord (Post 536871)
Why was she locked out. Does the system lock all doors within x seconds of starting the car. If so , see if you can disable just this feature.

Yes it does. The car had not locked up after starting it, she got off within a few seconds and closed the door and that's when it got locked. (takes about 5-7 secs to auto lock I gues)

Don't think we'll get the feature disabled, just need to be more careful from now on that's all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drifter (Post 537028)
Both times, we used open the beading and scale trick. It worked.
Drifter

I tried to but in all possible things thru the beading but it didn't budge an inch trust me! It was rock solid

Ya Ishan, thats when I called you, thought it's saturday and you might be awake. Sorry about the trouble.

Can someone tell me how much will this replacement cost?

Same thing happened with my boss. He and our team had gone for lunch in his Santro. Boss so worried about Qtr end targets left the engine running with AC on and keys inside and went for lunch.. SO did we.. After lunch boss discovered he didnt ahve the keys.. Searching in the hotel for the same. A colleague and me were out.. he touched the car and said the windows are so cool.. then we realised the car was vibrratng and the engine was on and the keys inside.. We bought a small steel scale and in 2 mins had the door open. So much for Security!

Guys with my fiesta problem the steel scale did not work. Neither did disconnecting the battery and shorting it. The car seems to have some backup power for the central locking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankitahuja (Post 537139)
Don't think we'll get the feature disabled, just need to be more careful from now on that's all.

Yeah, i second that. Just roll down the window when you get out of the car so that you can reach for the key. This is what i follow. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 537337)
Yeah, i second that. Just roll down the window when you get out of the car so that you can reach for the key. This is what i follow. :)

ditto that.
if i have to step out while the engine is running,i partially open the window first.

Quote:

I hope it is not a dumb question, but I hope you removed the beading before trying to out the scale through? Ideally to what I've seen, most cars have a good enough gap once the beading is removed to put at least a thin scale through. Of cause I have no idea about a Optra!