Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2024, 02:52   #1

Portable battery support units for ECU remapping

Hello,
I've been looking for portable battery charger solutions suitable for ECU remapping for when there's no access to outlets. I've been thinking about the option of using my personal car and inverter to power my regular battery stabalizer. The car alternator seems rated well above the possible current demand of the stabalizer(the car battery), so I was wondering if there's something I'm missing about this concept ? Another thought was what if I hook the battery of the car with the running engine straight to the "remapped" car and use it to support the current demand (skipping the inverter and stabalizer stage)? Besides the voltage possibly flactuating a bit depending on what the car battery management will do, how bad of an idea that would be? Any thoughts on that are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 5th March 2024, 20:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Portable battery support units for ECU remapping

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablofan View Post
Hello,
I've been looking for portable battery charger solutions suitable for ECU remapping for when there's no access to outlets. I've been thinking about the option of using my personal car and inverter to power my regular battery stabalizer. The car alternator seems rated well above the possible current demand of the stabalizer(the car battery), so I was wondering if there's something I'm missing about this concept ? Another thought was what if I hook the battery of the car with the running engine straight to the "remapped" car and use it to support the current demand (skipping the inverter and stabalizer stage)? Besides the voltage possibly flactuating a bit depending on what the car battery management will do, how bad of an idea that would be? Any thoughts on that are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Its not exactly clear what you mean.

Do you want, another battery powered device that tops up and charges your own cars battery while your engine is off but you still have a load with the electricals on and are flashing the ECU ?
If so then I don't think one is available. At best you could find a battery powered jump starter.

As you said, a wall outlet may not be handy otherwise a mains powered battery tender/charger might work but then again I'm not sure if you should use the electrical system of the car while it's charging ? Another member could confirm this. If it IS possible then you could use the charger and one of those portable power stations with wall outlets to make this a portable solution.

In general a cars battery would support some lights and the AC blower for atleast an hour if it's healthy so that should be enough time to do your stuff. Maybe even charge the battery to 100% first of possible before starting your remap
Old 8th March 2024, 20:44   #3

Re: Portable battery support units for ECU remapping

Hi, thanks for your comment. Just to add some clarity, my idea was whether I could use my personal car as a source which to connect to another car (its battery) which will be potentially obd-remapped. As mentioned above, i suppose straight battery to battery connection (in parallel) might be too risky, but perhaps if I use a battery inverter connected to my car + battery support unit (which will be stabalizing it back down 230V-13.8V) and hook this to the remapped car, if that should be reliable enough connection? Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks