Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2024, 10:55   #16
BHPian

Re: CVT failure in Hyundai i20 at 26,000 km | Hyundai Service estimates Rs. 4.62 lakhs for replaceme

Thank you all for the suggestions and guidance, here are the answers for themonster meanwhile:

A 1 Visited for regular service and for fix of this cvt issue. Since it's not run 10k hence postpone service for a month.
A 2 most of the run has happen on highways it's not driven much inside bangalore bumber to bumper traffic. And last service just inflated bill from hyundai for regular service it was not major.
A 3 Never towed or under body hits.Never had any accident still claiming the NCB for insurance from last 4year

Discussions with Hyundai seem to heading in the right direction, they may replace the assembly as a good-will-gesture after all, but i'll wait till they actually compete the repair.

Last edited by NerDriver : 10th March 2024 at 11:01. Reason: missed to add handle of fellow user
NerDriver is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 22:55   #17
RVR
BHPian

Re: CVT failure in Hyundai i20 at 26,000 km | Hyundai Service estimates Rs. 4.62 lakhs for replaceme

Advaith Hyundai Bangalore has a history of fleecing unsuspecting customers. These guys tried hard to get the Turbo charger changed in my Elite i20, for a Rs. 50/- speed control sensor malfunction. TBHP discussions helped me figure out the problem and after extreme escalation the fixed it for 100 bucks including labour. The SA never showed his face to me again.
On a second instance, they charged me ~60k for injector cleaning since the car stalled mid way while water wading. It is only after one year I got to know that all they did was just replaced the Air & Oil filters and engine oil. Drained around 38ltrs of diesel and sold out off outside. The car has done about 70k after the incident with no issues.
If you are dealing with Advaith, do see if you can accompany an automotive expert for discussion and keep immense pressure on them. My 2 cents!
RVR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 14:40   #18
BHPian

Did you receive any update from Hyundai or dealership?
lightfootdriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 15:40   #19
BHPian

Hello Folks, sorry for the late update here.. my friend got his car back on 16th March, here's the verbatim from him:

1. My car is back on the road following the replacement of its CVT transmission.
2.After several heated discussions, Hyundai has agreed to replace the CVT at a fixed cost of 20,000, with the remaining amount of 4.62L covered by Hyundai.
3.I pursued discussions regarding extended warranty costs with Hyundai, but they denied the request.
4.The new CVT is covered by a warranty of 6 months or 10,000 km.
5.I maintained regular contact with prominent figures in the automotive editorial and influencer community, which I believe may have influenced Hyundai's decision. A heartfelt thank you to everyone, including the Team-BHP community, for their direct and indirect support.
6.The past 20 days have been mentally taxing, and no compensation can truly alleviate the distress. However, I still extend my gratitude to Hyundai India for acknowledging and promptly addressing the issue. Attached are a few images of the car's return.

once again I appreciate your valuable inputs and guidance, Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
CVT failure in Hyundai i20 at 26,000 km | Hyundai Service estimates Rs. 4.62 lakhs for replacement-cvt-unit.jpeg  

CVT failure in Hyundai i20 at 26,000 km | Hyundai Service estimates Rs. 4.62 lakhs for replacement-finally-back.jpeg  

NerDriver is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 17:14   #20
BHPian

Change cvt oil every 3 years or 40000 kms irrespective of whatever long life, filled for life gimmick marketing by the OEM
Manoj2268 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 17:35   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj2268 View Post
Change cvt oil every 3 years or 40000 kms irrespective of whatever long life, filled for life gimmick marketing by the OEM
100% agreed. As someone who changed the transmission oil at 80,000 KMS I definitely vouch for the better life and experience of changing transmission oil. My trusted mechanics (Engineering Exponents) suggest 4x the regular service interval. i.e. if you service car at 10K KMs, then transmission oil change at 40K Kms.

I bought my current car second hand and changed all oils including transmission oil at 80K. You will get to see the quality of oil once it comes out and needless to say, it really should not be in there unless you want to risk failures.

My car has been mechanically strong on all fronts with these changes.
sudeepg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 20:59   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerDriver View Post
Hello Folks, sorry for the late update here.. my friend got his car back on 16th March, here's the verbatim from him:

1. My car is back on the road following the replacement of its CVT transmission.
2.After several heated discussions, Hyundai has agreed to replace the CVT at a fixed cost of 20,000, with the remaining amount of 4.62L covered by Hyundai.
3.I pursued discussions regarding extended warranty costs with Hyundai, but they denied the request.
4.The new CVT is covered by a warranty of 6 months or 10,000 km.
5.I maintained regular contact with prominent figures in the automotive editorial and influencer community, which I believe may have influenced Hyundai's decision. A heartfelt thank you to everyone, including the Team-BHP community, for their direct and indirect support.
6.The past 20 days have been mentally taxing, and no compensation can truly alleviate the distress. However, I still extend my gratitude to Hyundai India for acknowledging and promptly addressing the issue. Attached are a few images of the car's return.

once again I appreciate your valuable inputs and guidance, Thank you
Hello NerDriver,

Thank you for your response, both previously as well as now.

Glad to know that Hyundai was able to sort out the issue amicably.

I have a few more queries. (Sorry in advance if I am troubling you and your friend regarding a closed chapter)

1. Was the dealership able to give any reason/explanation for why the CVT Transmission failed?
While one would assume 4.5 years and a lot of stop-and-go traffic for the failure; your friend had mentioned they use the vehicle for mostly highway trips, which does not see much traffic (Apart from the highway blocks every weekend evening while exiting/entering back into Bangalore city.) and 26,500kms is practically nothing for modern cars.

At present, the current speculation unanimously is the CVT wear and tear and the lack of CVT transmission fluid change. I wonder if there is anything for other Hyundai CVT transmission Owners should be concerned about.
P.S. I nor any friends I know, drive a CVT transmission by Hyundai. While I am not trying to tarnish the image of the brand, it is purely out of curiosity to know the root cause, if any.

2. While you did mention in your opening post that the warranty had expired, I did read somewhere that Hyundai offers an Extended Warranty for the whole car as well as an Extended Warranty just for the Powertrain+Transmission (up to 7 years/100,000kms or 5 years/140,000kms); Is it possible to take that extended warranty now after this episode?
Reading your follow-up post, I kind of understood that Hyundai was not allowing your friend to take up the Extended Warranty then. (Also it is stated explicitly in the Hyundai Extended Warranty terms and conditions that Extended Warranty has to be purchased before the expiration of the standard warranty.)

Thanks in Advance for your reply.
themonster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 17:24   #23

Quote:
Hi Fellow BHPians, sharing the plight of a friend as he's not on team-bhp,

26,000 KM driven, 2019 Hyundai Elite i20 CVT Transmission Failure: Authorised Service Canter Estimates 4.62 Lakh for Replacement Gearbox
This is sheer madness. Shelling out 4.2L for a car that has done 26k kms. Pls post this on social media (twitter, Instagram, Facebook, reddit, etc) and make it viral. Sometimes companies take social media backlash seriously and offer cheaper / free repair. Never heard of such costs for CVT gearbox damage. Must be exceptionally rare case. All the best. Dont give up.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 15th April 2024 at 21:33.
Old 15th April 2024, 18:08   #24
BHPian

This is a relevant thread for all CVT owners, irrespective of OEM.
In general, CVT gearboxes are usually reliable. However this thread underscores two important things -
1. Take maximum extended warranty. In Honda's case, they also have anytime warranty till 10 years.
2. Changing CVT gearbox oil at regular intervals - Honda recommends changing CVT transmission oil every 40K kms. Given our hot and dusty conditions, I get it changed every 20K kms.
FAIAAA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 22:18   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Fellow BHPians, sharing the plight of a friend as he's not on team-bhp,

26,000 KM driven, 2019 Hyundai Elite i20 CVT Transmission Failure: Authorised Service Canter Estimates 4.62 Lakh for Replacement Gearbox
Did you check with a local FNG if a repair is possible? Many authorised service centres of Hyundai infamously insist on replacement instead of repair. A repair would be probably at a fraction of the replacement cost and be equally reliable. Even replacement outside ASS at a FNG would save you substantial money.

Hope Hyundai agrees for a goodwill replacement to keep the loyal customer base happy in such cases.
Old 16th April 2024, 00:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

Do you have engine and gearbox protect addon in your insurance? If yes, you could claim probably raise a claim.

The car itself is barely worth 5L today. Would not recommend paying that repair bill at all. Happy that you managed to get it fixed for 20k, even if it was after raising issues on social media.

I own the same generation i20 albeit the 2016 model in the diesel form. It has been pretty reliable but I would recommend you sell this car soon and buy something else. The i20 CVT was a rare model so issues might be difficult to deal with even at FNG

Last edited by Cresterk : 16th April 2024 at 00:37.
Old 16th April 2024, 07:39   #27
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redex View Post
This is one reason why I never buy a new car. I always wait for a new model to come out. Then buy the highest spec, low mileage used version of the last model.
All of the niggles have been sorted. The last car I bought has covered over 300 thousand kilometres. In that time I only had one breakdown. The car still drives like new and I am expecting to reach at least 400 thousand kilometres. Ford Focus 1.8 TDDI Ghia Estate, now a 20 year old car !!!
Most important thing to do is change ALL oils, engine, gearbox, diffs, transfer box etc regardless of "filled for life" claims.
Regards Neil
Sorry, may be you are not aware but OP's car is a 2019 elite i20 which is discontinued in 2020 and was launched in 2014 so OP has a late model year car.
Chisels121 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 07:59   #28
BHPian

I think VW will use this thread to show that DSG is a economy gearbox when it comes to repairs.

Jokes apart, I am very happy that your friend's issue is sorted. Better to sell the car, it could easily fetch 7L in the used market. Since the new warranty is limited to 10k kms only, I feel it may be a bit of a gamble to retain it.

OT:
We used to bash VW for the pricey DSG box and it's issues, this is the first time I am hearig a CVT related big bill and that too at half the price of the car itself.

My landlord owns a grand i10 cvt 2014 model, probably it's best for her to sell it and save herself this kind of a bill, as that car is already 9 years old.
Old 16th April 2024, 09:28   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Do you have engine and gearbox protect addon in your insurance? If yes, you could claim probably raise a claim.
Insurance claims are only covered for damages arising out of external factors, such as accidents, something falling on your vehicle etc. It does not cover manufacturing defects. Even with a Drive-train add-on it’ll cover damages arising out of floods or oil leakage only. A malfunction or damage arising without an accident may not be covered even with this add-on.

I gathered this information from a quick glance at the terms and conditions, someone could double check the information please.

If it was this easy then all the VW DSG customers would’ve latched on to these add-ons like a moth to a light bulb!

Last edited by ruskinash : 16th April 2024 at 09:33.
Old 16th April 2024, 10:07   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskinash View Post
Insurance claims are only covered for damages arising out of external factors, such as accidents, something falling on your vehicle etc. It does not cover manufacturing defects. Even with a Drive-train add-on it’ll cover damages arising out of floods or oil leakage only. A malfunction or damage arising without an accident may not be covered even with this add-on...
Wouldn’t this be considered oil related damage?

Normal insurance will cover physical damage arising out of an accident. This addon is for mishaps like these I think.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th April 2024 at 11:13. Reason: Trimmed quote.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks