Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2024, 23:54   #1

Damaged windscreen film while removing the FASTag

I closed the existing Fastag I had taken from PayTM Payments Bank due to the RBI restriction on their wallet transactions. While removing the Fastag from the windscreen I tried to slowly peel off the sticker but there seems to be a very thin film that got ripped along with the sticker.

Damaged windscreen film while removing the FASTag-img_20240318_202607349_hdr.jpg

Damaged windscreen film while removing the FASTag-img_20240318_202632336.jpg

Damaged windscreen film while removing the FASTag-img_20240318_203105119_hdr.jpg

Since this is a pre-owned car that I got few years back (it is a 2012 model 2nd Gen Jazz), I am not sure if there was some UV or other type of film on the windscreen or if I have damaged the stock protective film of the windscreen. Without the contrast in tint of the ripped area, I would have never realised that there is some film on the windscreen. Film itself is quite thin and the edges of ripped part are stuck tightly to the glass surface - so much that is does not look like an aftermarket job. Does the front windscreen come with factory fitted protective film?

I was planning to stick the new Fastag in the same place on the windscreen but if it was the UV film that was damaged would it potentially damage the new tag in the long run? Or should I get the full film replaced if that makes any sense?
Old 19th March 2024, 11:01   #2
BHPian

Re: Damaged windscreen film while removing the FASTag

Fastag stickers usually leave behind varying amounts of adhesive residue behind upon removal. It's hard to make out what exactly from the images but you are certain it is something that came off of the windscreen and not adhesive residue left behind by the sticker? I know you mentioned a contrast in tint w.r.t the affected area but asking just to be sure.

If it is indeed some sort of UV protection film, then an area should ideally have been cut out for the Fastag as such protection films have a layer of metallic oxides on them which prevent the RFID reader at toll plazas from reading your vehicle’s Fastag. That said, have you had problems with erratic reading of your Fastag at tolls plazas?

This might be an opportunity to clear out a rectangular area neatly to affix a new Fastag, although I'm unsure if it's a simple DIY.
Old 19th March 2024, 23:46   #3

Re: Damaged windscreen film while removing the FASTag

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnieshwartz View Post
Fastag stickers usually leave behind varying amounts of adhesive residue behind upon removal. It's hard to make out what exactly from the images but you are certain it is something that came off of the windscreen and not adhesive residue left behind by the sticker? I know you mentioned a contrast in tint w.r.t the affected area but asking just to be sure.
The adhesive sticky layer was on top of the dark tint area that remained on screen which I was able to rub off with glass cleaner. The rubbing had no effect on the tinted area on the patch. The lighter area was clean without any adhesive residue when I had taken off the sticker.

Quote:
If it is indeed some sort of UV protection film, then an area should ideally have been cut out for the Fastag as such protection films have a layer of metallic oxides on them which prevent the RFID reader at toll plazas from reading your vehicle’s Fastag. That said, have you had problems with erratic reading of your Fastag at tolls plazas?
Never had any issues with the tag being read properly at any of the tolls. It worked at all times.

Quote:
This might be an opportunity to clear out a rectangular area neatly to affix a new Fastag, although I'm unsure if it's a simple DIY.
I'm not sure if the protective film would also protect the plastic Fastag sticker from UV damage (I've seen the usual vinyl stickers on the outside get brittle and cracked with constant sun exposure due to UV damage on plastics). If the film doesn't add much protection then I can clear out the part where the Fastag would stick. Also I'm now wary of attaching the new Fastag using the sticker's adhesive in case I need to take it off in the future due to another change in Fastag provider for any unforseen reason.

I am feeling bad that this was probably an OEM tinted windscreen that I ended up ripping off along with the Fastag .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks