Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2024, 18:02   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny: Propeller shaft rubs against car underbelly under extreme articulation or load

An update on this issue from MSIL

Thanks to the Team-BHP moderators for taking my post and making it a separate thread. This definitely helped with more views and grabbed MSIL's attention.

A few days back I received a call from the Regional Service Head from Maruti about this matter. I explained it to him over the phone. They are aware of this Team-Bhp thread too.
He asked me to bring the car to Jyote Motors, so people from their technical team could come and inspect the issue.

I reached the service center on time and their technical team was already present. They acknowledged the issue.

First, they checked all the measurements, and then whether all the bolts related to this were tight with the correct torque or not.
After this preliminary check, they installed a camera where the propellor shaft rubbed against the cross-member and took the car for a test drive. I insisted that I would like to join them for the test drive, but let their driver drive the car. They obliged.

They were monitoring it live on their phone connected to the recording camera.

From the test drive what I incurred is, with 4 people on board when the car crosses a hump or an undulation or a dip at a higher speed and the time when the shock absorbers (especially the rear one) sag the propellor shaft goes very close to the cross member or it may touch. We checked it under articulation too, but there was a sufficient gap when the car was stationary even with 4 people on board. Seems like this can be replicated in a moving car with some load in the car (of course within the permissible range) on an undulated surface, but not that easily in a stationary car.

Just after taking the TD in my car, they drove another Jimny which belongs to Bhpian arghyaheart. Both of our cars have similar ODO readings, both are stock cars with stock tires, and both are manufactured at the same time. Mine is a 2023 July manufactured car, and Arghya's is a June 2023 manufactured car. Arghya's car does not have any marks on its propellor shaft.

So the idea was to check whether it's a car-specific issue or it can happen in any Jimny. They took the test drive on the same road with the same load and similar speed. The movement looked similar to my amateur eyes. I will refrain from commenting here, as let their technical team have a look at both the videos and then decide.

They have not provided me with any time frame, on when they are expecting to resolve the issue. All they said was- that with the data they collected their technical team would be working on it. Once they get a solution, they will do the needful.

They have not shared any data or any info on how they are planning to go ahead with this issue.

Last edited by Samba : 21st May 2024 at 18:07.
Samba is offline   (60) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 14:04   #32
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny: Propeller shaft rubs against car underbelly under extreme articulation or load

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post

So the idea was to check whether it's a car-specific issue or it can happen in any Jimny.
Is it likely to be a car-specific issue or a batch issue?
GhostRider28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 14:07   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider28 View Post
Is it likely to be a car-specific issue or a batch issue?
"So the idea was to check whether it's a car-specific issue or it can happen in any Jimny. They took the test drive on the same road with the same load and similar speed. The movement looked similar to my amateur eyes. I will refrain from commenting here, as let their technical team have a look at both the videos and then decide."

Consider it as a validation for that specific question you posted.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 17:23   #34
BHPian

Quote:

From the test drive what I incurred is, with 4 people on board when the car crosses a hump or an undulation or a dip at a higher speed and the time when the shock absorbers (especially the rear one) sag the propellor shaft goes very close to the cross member or it may touch.
So I think Maruti Suzuki has two options to resolve this issue:

Option-1:
If the propeller shaft is touching the "5th Cross member", then they have to build a new one (without compromising on the load structure / capability), test it and replace it as part of the recall worldwide. Also replacing this cross member could be a more time taking and difficult task.

Option-2:
Build a stiff rear suspension / shock absorber, test it and replace it as part of the recall worldwide. This would be a less time taking and easier task. But this may impact the ride quality during off-roading.

Don't blame me for suggesting these options to Maruti Suzuki.
bobbyblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 18:18   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyblr View Post
Option-1:
If the propeller shaft is touching the "5th Cross member", then they have to build a new one (without compromising on the load structure / capability), test it and replace it as part of the recall worldwide. Also replacing this cross member could be a more time taking and difficult task.
I dont think this could really be a solution. The cross member is welded onto the ladder frame chassis and I fail to see how this can be replaced. In future models of the Jimny, they could redesign the cross member placement but I dont think it can be done for existing vehicles with this issue. At the most, they could probably put a rubber bush to prevent the prop shaft from hitting the chassis purely by way of layman's opinion.

Quote:
Option-2:
Build a stiff rear suspension / shock absorber, test it and replace it as part of the recall worldwide. This would be a less time taking and easier task. But this may impact the ride quality during off-roading.
This is still quite possible. Change the existing shocks to stiffer shocks and possibly provide larger bump stops. Again, my opinion purely from a layman's point.

Last edited by Turbanator : 26th May 2024 at 12:24. Reason: fixed quote
motorguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 12:05   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A few days back I received a call from the Regional Service Head from Maruti about this matter. I explained it to him over the phone. They are aware of this Team-Bhp thread too.
He asked me to bring the car to Jyote Motors, so people from their technical team could come and inspect the issue.

I reached the service center on time and their technical team was already present. They acknowledged the issue.
Good news. I was worried that MSIL was trying to brush this under the rug. Looks like the R&D is still going on although I wonder why they are still in the "discovery stage" in May. They must have tested 50 vehicles until now. I would have expected them to be evaluating fixes at this time.

Looks like my vehicle will be out of warranty before they issue a recall.
gsferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2024, 22:33   #37
BHPian

Unfortunately my Jimny has now acquired the infamous “bangle” on it’s prop-shaft , well at least some of it !

I was already well aware of the issue thanks to this thread from Samba and earlier reports. I regularly inspect the susceptible area after long trips and it was clean till now. The underbelly was pretty dirty after my recent trip and though I noticed some marks, I brushed it off as dirt and grime. However, during my trip to the ASC today (2nd service) the presence of the “bangle” was confirmed. This is the same ASC where Samba reported his problem and they documented my case to MSIL as their second reported instance.

The mark is not totally pronounced as in – it is not on the entire circumference of the shaft in the affected area. For close to half of the circumference of the shaft it is pretty neatly marked, then it starts to noticeably fade and it is completely absent in about 1/4th of the remaining circumference. Given the rpm of the shaft, this possibly points to an instantaneous contact (possibly less than a fraction of second) before the two separated again. I have no recollection of hearing or feeling anything when it might have happened. There were 3 people in the car and associated luggage. I had travelled to Sikkim , roads were mostly good expect for some areas – frankly nothing that could challenge the Jimny. Whatever the trigger condition was, it possibly persisted for some nanoseconds. Funnily enough, in just the prior trip, I had travelled through much worse terrain for a substantially longer duration; difference being – there were only 2 people with luggage. I had closely inspected the shaft on my return and it was clean then.

Maruti Jimny: Propeller shaft rubs against car underbelly under extreme articulation or load-shaft-mark-1.jpg

Maruti Jimny: Propeller shaft rubs against car underbelly under extreme articulation or load-shaft-mark-2.jpg

Maruti Jimny: Propeller shaft rubs against car underbelly under extreme articulation or load-shaft-mark-3.jpg

Lets hope that MSIL comes back with some remedial steps.
DriveTrain is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks