Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2024, 16:54   #1

Using BS6 Diesel in BS4 cars | Can damage injectors?

Greetings

I recently saw this reel

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C48Ke...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Here the user highlights that the Diesel currently sold is BS6 compliant so less in Sulphur and any old cars should use a mix of 3ML 2T oil per litre, I need your guidance.

I drive a 2012 Innova Type 3 - It's been an amazing ride for me but yes there has been a lot of tappet noise and impact to mileage
toamitraj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th April 2024, 19:06   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Using BS6 Diesel in BS4 cars | Can damage injectors?

It’s not just ultra low sulphur diesel that is in play. The government has quietly started selling B5 (5% biodiesel blend) as normal diesel, at least here in Delhi NCR. It’s a double whammy for old diesel cars. Injectors and fuel pumps are going to give trouble.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th April 2024, 21:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Check out this Team-BHP thread:

All your questions about BS6 diesel answered by a diesel calibration engineer (All your questions about DPF & BS6 Diesel answered by a Diesel Calibration Engineer)

It is correct that reduction in sulphur will lead to reduction in lubrication. However, oil companies add proprietary lubricants in BS6 diesel to make up for reduced lubrication in low sulphur diesel.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 15th April 2024 at 08:02. Reason: As requested
AMG Power is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th April 2024, 23:47   #4
BHPian

Very close friend of mine owns BS4 Endeavour 2.2 in Delhi, experienced increase in engine noise & overall rough ride since past year inspite of regular service at Ford itself. As I already use Liqui Moly Injector Cleaner for my Kodiaq 2.0 TSI, I gave him two cans of Liqui Moly Diesel Super Additive recently. He poured it in & is super amazed at results. He pledges to regularly use it since then.

Last edited by SilverSmoke : 14th April 2024 at 23:57.
SilverSmoke is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 07:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
However, oil companies add proprietary lubricants in BS6 diesel to make up for reduced lubrication in low sulphur diesel.
They are supposed to but I don't think it's happening or working as expected.

Fuel pump in our BS4 vehicle started leaking and the seals were refurbished. I was also advised by the mechanic to use 2T oil with diesel to prevent damages. He said the number of failures post BS6 fuel availability has gone up significantly.

Just like the above post, fuel additives work wonders (mileage, silent idling, smoothness etc) and then things go back to normal once we fill in a full tank of diesel.

Does anyone have an idea of getting a lubricity test of diesel done? It'll be an interesting experiment. I have no idea about the costs though.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 15th April 2024 at 08:03. Reason: Quoted post edited
Turbohead is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 08:44   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Do the additives like AddonD help mitigate the problem of using lower lubricity BS6 fuels in BS4 engines?
Old 15th April 2024, 17:13   #7
BHPian

Re: Using BS6 Diesel in BS4 cars | Can damage injectors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Fuel pump in our BS4 vehicle started leaking and the seals were refurbished. I was also advised by the mechanic to use 2T oil with diesel to prevent damages. .
Is there a guide on the ratio of 2T oil to be added with Diesel?
Gupts007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 10:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Do the additives like AddonD help mitigate the problem of using lower lubricity BS6 fuels in BS4 engines?

They do. Using System D in my BS4 Creta, alternatively. The noise has gone down significantly. As per the My Car app, the tankful method with System D has given more mileage on the same route and time.

Using Shell diesel now (it is Rs 5/litre expensive than regular fuel). Noticed a bump in efficiency as per the MID.
Joli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 12:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gupts007 View Post
Is there a guide on the ratio of 2T oil to be added with Diesel?
They say 2ml per litre. Need to try it with this. Earlier we poured more than that and the engine was really rough. Treated it with Liqui Moly diesel purge and everything was restored.

But online articles and a white paper say 2T oil is a bad idea and may cause more damage.

Link to the article : https://magazine.unsealed4x4.com.au/...-diesel-part-2

Honestly, we're between a rock and a hard place
Turbohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 12:52   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post

But online articles and a white paper say 2T oil is a bad idea and may cause more damage.
Honestly, we're between a rock and a hard place
I would have been very reluctant to add anyways but I wanted to read about it before I would do something as dire as this. I have 2 Suzuki's with the legendary DDIS engine and am delighted every time I get behind the wheel. The run so smooth as I always used Mobil 1 - 5w30 or 5w40 in them and occasionally treat them with Liqui Moly Diesel Additive and also STP Ultra 5 in 1 Diesel Cleaner.

So far haven't run into any issues, touchwood. The engines run so quiet and are giving me about 22+ mileage in the city on the diesel. I mean what car does that these days. I will try to run them for as long as I can.

For now it seems I will keep following my existing regimen since it is working well so far.
Gupts007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 13:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

I drive a 2018 BS4 VW 2.0L TDI done about 89K Kms. Bought the car used in March 2022 with 58K on clock. Serviced at VW with regularity and have never faced any issue with knocking.

I have been seeing these reels. Wondering why the OEMs have not made any advisory.
Old 16th April 2024, 14:20   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Wondering why the OEMs have not made any advisory.
An advisory by the car manufacturers would make it a tacit acceptance that there is a problem. Right now the govt.
does not care or want the people to know about the problem. As it is people with BS4 have to fact the issue of a ban for vehicles older than 10 years, which frankly speaking a lot of BS4 diesel cars are approaching.
Gupts007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 14:29   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been using Xtra Green Diesel (IOCL) which is supposed to be a new age clean diesel with higher cetane value on my 2nd Gen 2016 Fortuner 4x4 M/T & I am extremely satisfied with the overall positive results in terms of performance, refinement & overall feel good factor.

Never trust reels, only trust long format videos with proper explanations.

All the best
karan561 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 09:35   #14
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I just checked the fuel specifications of the fuel being supplied for our marine diesel engines. The exact name is low sulfur high flash high speed diesel and i think is similar to the diesel for our cars. I can see the sulfur content is .005%. The manual says sulfur content < 1%. The fuel pumps and fuel valves have very less clearance and the sulfur provides lubrication. Lower sulfur can cause stickiness in the moving parts. I am not exactly sure but i do feel the fuel leak off from the fuel pumps and injectors has increased in our marine diesel engines.The other way it affects is that the lubricating oil TBN(total base number) is designed for a particular sulfur content( to counteract the sulfuric acid produced during combustion). The lower sulfur content and the initially high TBN may lead to deposits in the combustion chamber(this is my surmise).
I own a Ciaz ZDI and have seen the mileage in my car has reduced, although nothing much has changed in the noise and pickup front. I spoke to our fuel supplier to know how they are counteracting the reduced sulfur content.He told me that no additives are required because they maintain the percentage of FAME(fatty acid methyl ester) and that helps to maintain lubrication of fuel pumps. I dont understand that because i am not a chemical engineer. This conversation is regarding the fuel supplied for marine diesel engines. I believe this could be applicable fot the diesel supplied in our pumps also.
I also bought a can of Liqui Moly diesel cleaner after going through this thread, but i dont think it is required on a regular basis.
biju1971 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks