Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2024, 14:22   #16
BHPian

Re: Frustrated after buying VW Virtus | EPC issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by VankaBoy View Post
Later I read somewhere online that TSI engines are prone to early spark plug malfunctions if they are filled up with fuel which contains additives. So I stopped using XP95 and instead use regular 91 octane fuel.
I doubt XP95 contains any additives. 95 is just the octane rating and has nothing to do with containing special additives. I strongly recommend you to switch back to 95 octane petrol. The current gen tsi engines are high compression engines that are designed to run optimally only on 95 RON petrol. Switching to 91 petrol will cause problem on its own gradually.
Old 29th April 2024, 16:38   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by true_sedan View Post
I doubt XP95 contains any additives. 95 is just the octane rating and has nothing to do with containing special additives. I strongly recommend you to switch back to 95 octane petrol. The current gen tsi engines are high compression engines that are designed to run optimally only on 95 RON petrol. Switching to 91 petrol will cause problem on its own gradually.
Check wat your owner manual says first! If it says 91, stick to it. If you like you can put 95 in, but it is unlikely you will find any measurable effect, other than on your wallet. If it says 95 stick to it, but never put 91 in.

Jeroen
Old 29th April 2024, 20:14   #18
BHPian

I am no technical person, but could these problems like spark plug issue occurring due to increased alcohol content in fuel ?

Fuel for thought !
samitjain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2024, 05:10   #19

https://x.com/volklub might help you. Check in X platform. It is unfortunate that a customer has to seek the help of a social media influencer to get the attention of the car company.
BlueGod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2024, 05:42   #20
BHPian

Misfire diagnosis whixh is reported due to improper combustion resulting either from faulty or loose spark plugs or wiring harness. It can also come due to injector not getting enough current/voltage from ems/ecm or wiring harness fault or worst possibility injector is mechanically clogged at many of injector nozzle holes due to various reasons. GDI system is very sensitive to fuel contamination and fuel quality, unfortunately Oems have not done enough awareness compaign to inform end customers and service centers.Always use minimum good quality RON95 fuel for GDI engines,never go below RON95 unless it is some kind of emergency. Due to above reasons i recently bought MPI NA engines for sake of simplicity and robustness.
navrddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2024, 23:36   #21

I was in a similar situation a few months back. I have a Skoda Rapid TSI, which started to show EPC and check engine warnings on cold starts. At times, only one of the two warnings would appear, while at other times, both would. The car used to shudder when EPC warning would appear. These warnings came only in the mornings, and would not reappear anytime during the day. I took it to the ASC one afternoon and they asked me to leave the car for a day to check the error the next morning. They diagnosed that the issue was due to misfiring in one of the 3 cylinders. To resolve the problem, they changed all three spark plugs. It has been around 2 months since they changed the spark plugs and I have not faced any issue till now.

The problem, as they mentioned, was due to impurities in the fuel, which resulted in soot deposition on the spark plugs. I always fill up XP95 in my car because RON95 is the preferred lowest-grade fuel as mentioned in the owner's manual.
Bornfree is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 13:47   #22

UPDATE:
I got my vehicle back from workshop on 11 May, its been 10 days now and i haven't faced any issues. The work done my vehicle was- they scanned the vehicle again and this time there was misfire in cylinder 1(Before it was cylinder 3) so they told me that they will change the HLA of both cylinder 1 and 2 since cylinder 3 HLA were changed in the last visit.

Also after facing that many hardships they provided me with an extended warranty of 2yrs which now covers my vehicle under warranty till 2028

They told me to only use octane 95 for TSI engines which i am using but i do wonder as many of my friends have Slavia and Virtus with same engine and they never had the need to use premium fuel so why it is only applicable for my particular vehicle and should i try to use octane 91 fuel?
Old 23rd May 2024, 20:01   #23
BHPian

EPC errors still coming is a bit surprising especially since Skoda VW seem to have fixed it via an update or some recall.
Old 27th May 2024, 08:13   #24

Hello, I just returned home from the service centre after clearing this issue. My Taigun 1.0 had the shown the same EPC error code along with start/stop error. I noticed it while having a casual morning run. However it didn't go off as it was in your case. Vw service centre cleaned up my rail pressure sensors and now the error seems to be gone. But after reading about your fiasco, I guess it will pop up sometime soon.
Old 5th June 2024, 20:16   #25
ozi

I am having a similar issue with my polo 1.0 tsi, the car had starting problem and would only crank on first start, but would crank on second start, took the car to vw sc, it was a low pressure fuel pump issue and they replaced it under warranty, been 6-7 months after that, now again the epc light has started showing up and car wont start at first attempt and starts at second attempt, have taken it to vw sc they checked all sensors all pressures everything looks fine, so they are telling could be some issue with a software in the ecu and have updated the ecu software. Will pick it up tomorrow and see how it goes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks