Not changing gears !!!

Hello Friends,

I drive Alto-LXi (have learnt driving newly) and have some query
regarding my driving habit.

I prefer driving slow mostly (upto 60kmph) and due to this reason
I do not find major reason to shift to 5th gear in fact , I have rarely
used in my driving till now.

I am comfortable with 3rd and 4th gear.

Just wondering if this is fine with respect to fuel efficiency/engine life.

Please suggest if u have inputs..

Regards,

Shiri
Old 4th September 2007, 23:23   #2
BHPian

Hey Shiri, welcome to team-bhp. Regarding your query, you are doing the right thing. Usually city driving does not warrant a shift to the fifth gear since the speeds are usually below 80 kph.

The 5th gear is "overdrive" which is meant for cruising at high speeds. Hence, you need not shift into fifth at all while in city. There would be no negative effects on your engine life/mileage etc. However, the overdrive should be used after crossing ~80 kph to extract maximum fuel efficiency and reduce the load on the engine, since it allows the engine to operate at a lower rpm for any given speed.
Old 4th September 2007, 23:32   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are on the open road, I suggest you try fifth gear.

For city driving, one doesn't get to use it much. Even when there is the opportunity to use it for a minute or two, it is often wiser to keep the greater control of a lower gear.
Old 5th September 2007, 00:01   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If you are on the open road, I suggest you try fifth gear.

For city driving, one doesn't get to use it much. Even when there is the opportunity to use it for a minute or two, it is often wiser to keep the greater control of a lower gear.
Thad
I totally agree with your advice to Shiri, since he says he's just learnt driving. But very often, even while driving in the city, things may not be so black-and-white :-). I for example shift into 5th even if it is for 3-4 minutes, or shift from 3rd to 5th and back, or be very conventional and shift to a maximum of 4th, all depending on some split-second unconcious processing!

My drive is a Santro Xing
Old 5th September 2007, 01:13   #5
BHPian

I drive in 5th once I see an open stretch of road & am above 60kph.

I prefer to upshift once I reach 2500 rpm.
Old 5th September 2007, 11:57   #6
BHPian

The 5th gear is meant for cruising but i doubt that max FE for 5th gear would be at a speed > 80kmph. I feel, that even if you are able to shift to 5th at about 60, its good enough, even if its just for a couple of minutes.

Just my .2 paise....
Old 5th September 2007, 12:14   #7
BHPian

As long the car does not stall, I prefer to use the 5th Gear even in the city. Especially cars like Baleno which runs smoothly at 35-40Kms speed on the 5th gear.
Old 5th September 2007, 12:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirishindurkar View Post
I am comfortable with 3rd and 4th gear.Just wondering if this is fine with respect to fuel efficiency/engine life.
To begin, Alto is comfortable in 5th even at speeds lower than 60.

I think you are doing the right thing. For anyone who just learnt driving, or learning it, best option is to drive on a gear down than what an experienced driver would at that speed. Pls try this till your gearshifts become spontaneous.
Old 5th September 2007, 13:24   #9
BHPian

Alto can comfortably cruise at speeds of 50 in the 5th gear. So DO shift to the 5th gear whenever possible. Doing 60+ in the 3rd is not advisable as it would surely result in a drop in the fuel efficiency.
Even try avoid doing 60 in the 4th. It may be difficult in the beginning, but bad habits are difficult to get rid of in the future.
Old 5th September 2007, 13:58   #10
BHPian

I believe it is ok to shift into 5th as long as the engine does not feel loaded. Shifting into a cruise gear always lowers the load on the engine and should be helpful for FE as well as engine life. Though I have heard that in today's cars, even the 4th gear is an overdrive one!
Old 5th September 2007, 14:24   #11
Team-BHP Support

slightly off topic...
I just like to write about my bike

Today morning;
rode my bullet up Deloitte Drive in the 5 th gear.
must have started with speed at 20 and by the time reached the top must have been over 60.
Deloitte drive is the road between motorolo and gateway-hitech city, Hyderabad.

On topic...
I found the FE mush better on my Wagon R if I avoid the 5th gear for low speeds.
5th is now only when I have an empty road and know where the stop point is.
So if its the 5th, stay there and coast into a signal halt.
Old 5th September 2007, 16:47   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the key here: it is to know that both the engine and driver a comfortable.

If that is the case, then it is right!

But, even though speed and road may permit it, it should be remembered that 5th is almost like coasting (driving with the car in neural, which should never be done) --- the response to reducing or increasing gas will be slow. This equates to less control over the car, and control is the most important thing.

Like carZest and others, yes I do use 5th for city driving, when I can.

One of my instructors in UK taught me that it is OK to miss gears when changing down, but not when changing up, so I got into that habit. I will not change from 3rd to 5th, but my routine for eg stopping at signals on a fairly clear road is to approach in 5th, change to 3rd for the final approach/stop.

I missed that Shiri is a new driver. In that case, I'd say that, if he is not entirely certain about interpreting the need to change up or down, then I'd advise a couple of trips with a more experienced driver.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 5th September 2007 at 16:50. Reason: added
Old 7th September 2007, 18:17   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess_a View Post
Alto can comfortably cruise at speeds of 50 in the 5th gear. So DO shift to the 5th gear whenever possible. Doing 60+ in the 3rd is not advisable as it would surely result in a drop in the fuel efficiency.
Even try avoid doing 60 in the 4th. It may be difficult in the beginning, but bad habits are difficult to get rid of in the future.
Alto will starve if you drive at 50 KM/H on 5th gear. Better shift to 5th at 60 KM/H when you are sure that you can stick on to that speed for some time !
Old 8th September 2007, 01:25   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Part of good driving is about being in the right gear at all times.

That has to take into consideration circumstances and conditions just as much as, maybe even more than, road speed.

Unless you are on an empty, straight, flat road, a straight correlation between speed and gear ceases to apply.

I just stress this again, as it is a new driver we are advising.
Old 8th September 2007, 02:04   #15
BHPian

thad e ginathom's put it rather aptly, when he says you should do what the car and the driver's comfortable with. beyond a few well known facts, such as the following, there's not much one needs to calculate in these matters.

the lower the rpm (same as 'higher the gear'), the lesser the fuel consumption (without lugging the engine at speeds that make the engine tremble and shudder).
the engine will let you know when it wants a change of gear. don't ignore your baby when it's crying its lungs out.
it's not good to modulate your speed only to adjust it to the gear you're in. speeds determine gears - don't aim for a higher gear and thus speed up.
if the engine sounds relaxed, and you're not at an uncomfortable speed, you're doing just fine with your gears.

although it's important that you, as a new driver, develop good driving habits, remember this. you will invariably change your driving style with time, as you get to know your machine better. nothing to worry about.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks