Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2007, 01:19   #1

Need help with my Zen

Hey Guys,

First of all i am so happy to have found this place. No other resource like this on the net for cars especially Indian.

I recently got my first car a 1998 Zen. Agreed its not much of a car but thats all that i could get with my first years payoff. I need help with the following.

1. Can i add on power steering and central locking.
2. How do i improve the AC cooling effect.
3. Can somebody find me a Zen user manual or something that will help me understand the underside of my car's bonnet.

Thanks a lot in advance
Old 6th September 2007, 07:58   #2
BHPian

Hi Predator

Congrat's on buying your first car, my comments to your quires are below.

Quote:
1. Can i add on power steering and central locking.
I don't think adding a power sterring is a good idea, first of all it's an expensive affair and it won't be as good as when it comes from the company, being a Zen you should be able to drive without power sterring as it is not too heavy on the hands, adding central locking is something you could try, it may cost you somewhere between 4-6k, but then again, weigh the pro's and con's as there expenses cannot be recovered when you sell the car. My advice would be to keep things as they are and instead spend the some money doing up the exteriors and some basic stuff like , changing the fulids, wheel bearing, chutch overhaul, suspension overhual, engine tuning, wheel balancing, these changes will make your car feel fantactic.

Quote:
2. How do i improve the AC cooling effect.
You may get a complete AC serviving done, should cost you around 2k if nothing is replaced, with coolent top up, the carb zen AC which I pretty sure is the one you have since it's a 98 model, insn't too powerful, so don't expect super cooling from the same, however a proper service will get it cool addiquetly.

Quote:
3. Can somebody find me a Zen user manual or something that will help me understand the underside of my car's bonnet.
Well, I can't help you with all the inside stuff, but here is my2 cents, inside the bonnet, it's basically a 1000cc engine generating 50 bhp. make sure there is adequte break fulid in the beak fluid contaner, coolent is toped up, check the colour of the engine oil, it is recommeded if you change it anyways if you have just bought it, also change the gear box oil.

Apart from the above the Zen is a real work horse and it will keep going, just try and change all the fulids once every 5k km's, and gear box oil every 15-20k km's, and don't try to add too many things to the car instead spend the money on getting the stock car at it's functional best.

Hope my comments help.

Last edited by musicmanaman : 6th September 2007 at 08:01.
Old 6th September 2007, 10:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

@ predator. Fantastic car mate. You'll definetely enjoy the car if it's a well maintanied one.
I second musicmanaman suggestions/comments. U have rightly pointed out the issues. Adding power steering will be hole in the pocket for a 98 Zen.
PM me ur email id so that I can send you the owner's manual for carb - Zen
Happy driving
Old 10th September 2007, 14:09   #4

I changed the air filters, cleaned the condenser and refilled the coolants. The Ac cooling is a lot better now. But i still have leaks on my windshield and a door panel. Gotta fix it and check the cooling after that.

Thanks a lot Sush for the manual. Gave me the all the basics i needed before getting my hands dirty.

Post that i have changed the timing belt, clutch assembly and the fuel pump. Next week will be for my engine...
Old 10th September 2007, 14:28   #5
BHPian

Predator, Good to hear your Car's getting better, you may change the clutch assembly, however if its not necessary the don't change the timing belt and especially the fuel pump. I guess the fuel pump is working fine, otherwise the car would have not started in the first place.

What's the mileage you're getting with and without AC?
Old 10th September 2007, 16:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Why was the timing belt changed ? Has your car run above 80,000 kms. If yes then ok.
Get an Engine flush / Carbon cleaning done.
Old 11th September 2007, 14:57   #7

Yup My car has done about 84k now. Hence i put in a new timing belt.

About the fuel pump when i cold start the car makes a choking noise and goes dead sometimes. Feels like not enough fuel is being pumped in. Hence i though perhaps the fuel pump has to be changed.

My mileage is bad 10 kmpl with AC and 12 without AC. But considering the fact i driving wheel to wheel to traffic most of the time i guess its Ok. Any tips to increase my mileage are welcome.

Now my car has a new

Air filter
Fuel filter
Clutch assembly
brake pads
Old 11th September 2007, 16:23   #8
BHPian

Predator, if you're seriously looking to 'discover' what's underneath your hood, simply email Maruti. The ContactUs link on the MarutiUdyog site is a good place to start. I know it's incredulous, but they do reply to your queries !

Two things you might be interested in are the parts catalog, & the service manual. I emailed Maruti & they promptly replied that these books can be ordered from their authorized dealers just like regular spare parts. I service with ABT, & on inquiry, was told that their office in Guindy-somewhere would be able to help me out with the catalog & manual
Old 12th September 2007, 08:04   #9
BHPian

Predator, those mileage figures are not bad, I have a 99 carb Zen which now shows 52k on the odo (maybe tampered as I bought it second hand), get 8-9 kmpl in city with A/C, don't know the w/o AC figures as my AC is always on. The car is smooth to drive, the max I have driven is at 115-120 kmph, on a short open streach within the city.
The only area I have not yet attened is a carb overhaul, it was done 6k back, when I had just bought it, maybe this should increase the mileage.
Can any senior members thorw some light on how much a carb overhaul would cost for a Zen?
Keep updating us on how things are going with your zen.
Old 12th September 2007, 10:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
Can any senior members thorw some light on how much a carb overhaul would cost for a Zen?
Keep updating us on how things are going with your zen.
A carburettor overhaul should cost you around 600Rs. Get it done only by an authorized dealer.

@ predator
The mileage what you are getting is not at all bad considering the traffic situation.
Also get ur Spark plug cleaned/replaced
Old 13th September 2007, 17:09   #11

Its nice to hear that my mileage is good. I forgot to mention that i just changed the spark plugs along with the other spares.

One of my friends told me that i should never drive with low fuel in the tank. Apparently sediments that come along with petrol always exists at the bottom of the tank and if i run it to the last litre all the time then these would end up inside my carb. Can someone throw more light on this.
Old 13th September 2007, 17:21   #12
BHPian

Hi Predator, congrats on your first car. Have the cooling coil, which is located behind the dash board, cleaned. Airconditoning should improve a whole lot.
Old 13th September 2007, 18:08   #13

Thats new too . First thing i changed when i got the car couple of months back. The coil itself had damaged linkages and hence i had to change it.
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:48   #14
BHPian

reviving an old thread.......

predator,
hows your zen doing now..? Did your fuel economy increase then?

Im sure you must have done quiet a lot of things in your Zen in 2 years. Can you share things you fixed & why? Also approx costs.

Thanks.
Old 3rd April 2010, 11:14   #15
BHPian

I just bought a 1998 Zen Carb LX having 45 K on odometer and in very good shape. I drove it for 1200 Km continously on highways (speed between 80 to 100 KMPH) just after I bought and with 50% AC on, I got a mileage of 18.5 Km/Ltr, hopefully it is good.

I wanted to know if the MPFi gives better mileage?? What is the power delivery of Zen carb and what is of Zen MPFI??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks