Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2010, 12:35   #46
BHPian

Check mfg date of speedo

On electroinic speedos alto /wagon r etc to tamper is difficult so some may just disconnect and drive the car so when buying these cars check mfg date of speedo and match with car and see.
Old 25th March 2010, 13:00   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
On electroinic speedos alto /wagon r etc to tamper is difficult so some may just disconnect and drive the car so when buying these cars check mfg date of speedo and match with car and see.
Looks like you are not following this thread closely. Electronic speedos are easy to tamper.
Old 25th March 2010, 17:54   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
An old friend of my mine from my rallying days runs a meter repair shop who claims that it's very easy to re-set electronic meters than the old analogue meters, he charges Rs.500-600 for every reset (he re-sets, but you can have any reading you want, it is a less than 5 minute job, ofcourse getting a parking place in russell market in less than 15minutes is anybody's guess), he is doing very well & operates from a shop near Russel market, Shivajinagar, Bangalore.
BUT, more than reducing your speedometer reading, he can fit a device in your vehicle which increases the reading & the fun is you can change it as and when you please, that is he fits a sensor & gives you a remote control(sort of remote which you get for your car ICE) & whenever you press it your readings increase.
this setup really helps tour/taxi operators to jack up their meter readings.
God knows where this world is going land up
That is a brilliant work.
Providing remote to set no. of miles is another awesome job.
Old 26th March 2010, 08:17   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
BUT, more than reducing your speedometer reading, he can fit a device in your vehicle which increases the reading & the fun is you can change it as and when you please, that is he fits a sensor & gives you a remote control(sort of remote which you get for your car ICE) & whenever you press it your readings increase.
this setup really helps tour/taxi operators to jack up their meter readings.
God knows where this world is going land up
Wow a remote to set speedo reading . now I am not traveling in any taxi with digital speedo.

Praveen1 : You joined in 2007 and this is your first post... in 2010

Last edited by Chipz : 26th March 2010 at 08:20.
Old 26th March 2010, 12:18   #50
Senior - BHPian

How to identify if odo read was reset ?

Being seeing people going for pre-owned cars which are very cost effective and available in plenty. We also have various automobile companies promoting this by giving extended warranties too. We also have people who does the car check-up for you for a price.

Some are lucky to get pre-owned cars which were work-shipped by last owners. I know few owners who also maintain their car well, very well but who tend to sell it off after 70-80k. Some cars lose their demand after they surpass 80k ( eg, Skoda, Hyundai diesels etc ). I know people who specialize in (re)setting the odo to a less number which helps the owner in a big way.

This method isn't easy and need proper software, cables etc. One charges 2.5k up for this job. How will one identify this?
Old 26th March 2010, 13:02   #51
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Some are lucky to get pre-owned cars which were work-shipped by last owners. How will one identify this?
I think one of the ways in which you can identify this is to ask for the car's service history from day 1. Close scrutiny of the service history should be able to tell you if the odo was tampered with.
Old 10th June 2010, 11:20   #52

On the digital odo's ( where you get the miles on a LCD screen ) the chips used are sometimes susceptible to extreme temps or electric spikes, which makes the needles to fluctuate or shake, its applicable to cars as much as bikes. You have to get into chip level details to fix these issues. And the mileage is easy to clock if you have the know how,( i know, but dont ask me!). However would always recommend to go for the vehicle history and scrutinize the overall condition of the car ( take a mechanic along ) to determine the proper value. a car with high mileage, but well maintained can fetch a good value for your money.
Old 11th June 2010, 12:45   #53
GTO
Team-BHP Support

For most cars, its fairly easy to tell by their condition itself, if the odometer has been tampered or not. Its even easier as, those who manipulate the odometer reading don't do so for a mere 5,000 - 10,000 kms. Usually, they shave off over 30,000 kms (and up). The car's condition, tyres, body work, how it drives etc. tell a reliable story. Of course, there are some models which age exceedingly well (W124, Octavia, OHC, Innova), thereby posing a challenge to detect any roll backs.

Best way to verify the mileage:

1. Service history provided by owner

2. PUC certificates (timestamps, kms)

3. Call the authorised service center (where it was serviced) and procure maintenance history

4. Condition of the car

5. Pre-purchase-inspection conducted by an expert

If anything doesn't look right, walk away.
Old 11th June 2010, 14:45   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBA-Reman View Post
On the digital odo's ( where you get the miles on a LCD screen ) the chips used are sometimes susceptible to extreme temps or electric spikes, which makes the needles to fluctuate or shake
@BBA-Reman: I am a bit confused with your post mate; do digit odos have needles?
Old 11th June 2010, 15:14   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
@BBA-Reman: I am a bit confused with your post mate; do digit odos have needles?
Odometers are for showing the distance traveled by the cars. Needles are a part of the Speedometer. There are cars which have a digital odo but a normal speedo (Swift) and which would hence have needles
Old 10th June 2011, 11:02   #56
BHPian

Re: Odometer Reading: How to tell if it has been tampered with?

Hi All

I don't know where to post this. SO I am adding it as a reply in a thread nearest to my query.

A friend of mine has purchased a NHC 2004 with odo reading 39K. I had my doubts on day one about it but didn't have facts to support my doubts.

A couple of days back I came across an old PUC for the same car dated Nov 2010. There the reading was 54K+.

My question is can a digital display of the odometer be tampered with? If so anyone knows how to do it? Is there a way to get the actual reading after the readings have been tampered?

Kaushik
Old 10th June 2011, 11:22   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchatt View Post
Hi All

I don't know where to post this. SO I am adding it as a reply in a thread nearest to my query.

A friend of mine has purchased a NHC 2004 with odo reading 39K. I had my doubts on day one about it but didn't have facts to support my doubts.

A couple of days back I came across an old PUC for the same car dated Nov 2010. There the reading was 54K+.

My question is can a digital display of the odometer be tampered with? If so anyone knows how to do it? Is there a way to get the actual reading after the readings have been tampered?

Kaushik
Its a clear case that your friend has been tricked. The digital odometers are more easier to tamper with than the normal ones.

And i do not think there is a way to find out the original reading once it has been tampered.

Adi
Old 7th September 2011, 17:48   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
Its a clear case that your friend has been tricked. The digital odometers are more easier to tamper with than the normal ones.

And i do not think there is a way to find out the original reading once it has been tampered.

Adi
Most probably true. But there is a .01% chance that it is not tampered also - My fried took his car for alignment to one of the very famous and reputed places in Chennai. His palio has done around 44K and in their Alignment Report it was mentioned 74K . The best part is that my friend didnt even notice it, I happened to come across it accidentally while searching for his Car's papers and I was like . I know its one-off case, but then these things also happens.
Old 8th September 2011, 21:18   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleton View Post
Most probably true. But there is a .01% chance that it is not tampered also - My fried took his car for alignment to one of the very famous and reputed places in Chennai. His palio has done around 44K and in their Alignment Report it was mentioned 74K . The best part is that my friend didnt even notice it, I happened to come across it accidentally while searching for his Car's papers and I was like . I know its one-off case, but then these things also happens.
My Palio has mechanical Odo and trip meter. But the ECU also stores the mileage data in memory. This is one way to validate the actual mileage clocked. One caveat - there is only one pickup for the counter from the gearbox. As long as the pick-up sensor works ECU clocks the mileage.

I remember watching Top Gear long ago and in one of the episode Jeremy suggests looking at the condition of pedals - brake/accelerator - wear to get an idea of the mileage. Pedals seldom get replaced, doesn't it?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks