Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2007, 14:45   #1
BHPian

Bolero Design Issues

Hi,

I just completed 1200km on my 1 month old Bolero 2007 and came across a few design issues which Mahindra could've avoided.

1. The power steering is NOT speed sensitive. (i knew this from test drive itself. But there was no other option.)

2. During rain, due to the wiper arm location, the driver side wiper blade do NOT clean the entire section leaving a big triangle of uncleaned section of glass on the right corner. This creates a dangerous blind spot while driving.

3. While driving in the night (especially city driving) when you look out of the driver's window, instead of the traffic on the right you see the REFLECTION of the traffic on the left. This might be because of the near vertical side windows.

Has anybody else noticed these? Am i supposed to live with these or is there a solution?

For 6 lacs, i shouldn't be asking for too much...but aren't these SAFETY issues?

Any suggestions?

-- Torqy
Old 13th September 2007, 16:09   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Its unfortunate, but all Mahindras (including the Scorpio) have their share of rough edges and design flaws. I think you will have to live with them.
Old 13th September 2007, 17:14   #3
BHPian

I had the same issue with my 2003 model bolero too. Guess they havn't made much changes !!
Old 13th September 2007, 18:03   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Hi,

For 6 lacs, i shouldn't be asking for too much...but aren't these SAFETY issues?

-- Torqy

6 Lakhs is not less, agreed that its relatively low compared to other expensive options. But it doesn't mean that Mahindra can pedal some inferiorly designed options, they should put some thought before allowing these designs for selling.
Old 13th September 2007, 18:10   #5
BHPian

Never thot of them as a issue. No problem in night driving as such. Because through the uncleaned part i see the bonnet - not the road.

In new Bolero only prob "fixed" is sudden flooding of windshield (if u hit a patch of water at 40+kmph) with the help of those mini skirts in the front bumper. (But I havn't tested them yet) Rest all are cosmetic changes.

Not sure of the reflection part? Did u fit sun film? Is the glass still <AIS> Asahi?

Rocky

Quote:
Hi,

I just completed 1200km on my 1 month old Bolero 2007 and came across a few design issues which Mahindra could've avoided.

1. The power steering is NOT speed sensitive. (i knew this from test drive itself. But there was no other option.)

2. During rain, due to the wiper arm location, the driver side wiper blade do NOT clean the entire section leaving a big triangle of uncleaned section of glass on the right corner. This creates a dangerous blind spot while driving.

3. While driving in the night (especially city driving) when you look out of the driver's window, instead of the traffic on the right you see the REFLECTION of the traffic on the left. This might be because of the near vertical side windows.

Has anybody else noticed these? Am i supposed to live with these or is there a solution?

Any suggestions?

-- Torqy
Old 13th September 2007, 18:35   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb View Post
....through the uncleaned part i see the bonnet - not the road.
The uncleaned section becomes a major blindspot especially when you're making a right turn.

Quote:
In new Bolero only prob "fixed" is sudden flooding of windshield (if u hit a patch of water at 40+kmph)
No, it's NOT fixed. A sudden splash can still blind you momentarily.

Quote:
Not sure of the reflection part? Did u fit sun film? Is the glass still <AIS> Asahi?

Rocky
No, i have no sunfilm.

-- Torqy
Old 13th September 2007, 18:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

I can't agree with the reflection part. Never faced any issues there. You must have fitted some reflective sun film, please check. Wiper seemed pretty good to me during the pouring rains in december 2005. And yes the PS is hydraulic.

One thing that gave me a tough time was the height level of the pedals. The accelerator pedal was so low whereas the brake was high & you really have to get used to that change.
Old 13th September 2007, 19:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

@Torqy
I knew that the PS is not electronic and thats why the steering is not speed sensitive and i think at the time i brought the jeep back in 2002 there were not many offering it in jeeps.
I didnt experience such problem with my bolero may be i was caring for some other issues i will check out and let you know.
I used to experience one problem as to the defogger is absent in the bolero due to which i got to keep rubbing the windscreen with a cloth but this has been sorted from another forum where i was adviced to rub soap onto the inside of the windshield to prevent it from fogging.
@Rocky b
I face the same problem with regard to water splashing on the windscreen and i hav no solution so if you do get any regarding it please let me know. I have the jeep back home in coorg and its a major problem as there are no roads any season forget bought the rainy season as in the city. So if any of you got a solution help me out.

Also there is a wobbling if both the tires are not on level ground so can i make some changes in the suspension to rectify it?
Old 13th September 2007, 19:07   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Any suggestions?

-- Torqy
Hi,
I've used a bolero sportz for almost 3 years.Frankly found the driving position, aircon,steering,braking,body roll,far better than my current Scorpio(engine and looks are the saving grace).
I never had any issues you mentioned check out your sunfilm and the wipers.
Old 13th September 2007, 19:28   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Torqy,

The only solvable problem might be the unwiped windscreen section. Try changing to MICO Bosch wipers - slightly longer than the stock wipers; if the windscreen permits.
Old 13th September 2007, 19:51   #11
BHPian

Just to clarify about the wipers, here is a rough drawing. You can see that a longer wiper blade won't solve the problem. Only a relocation of the wiper arm axis will solve the problem.

In a scorpio, the right wiper arm axis is near the right edge of the windscreen whereas it's too far from the right edge in a bolero. That's what is creating the unclean section.

-- Torqy
Old 20th September 2007, 13:01   #12

Bolero queries

Hi am a newbie around here and have been contemplating on picking up the Bolero 4WD for sometime now.

Would like some help on what RPM does the turbo kick in?(i've been given different versions on this!!)
1.When the needle touches 70KMPH
2.When you shift in to 3rd gear
3.As soo as you turn the engine on.
4.at 1200 rpm

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks